iTunes does contain >128 kbps music!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I bought a song today, and when I did a Get Info on it, I found this:

I had another song off the Music Store that was 192 kbps, but I can't find it at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    266K seems an unusual setting. This seems to imply use of variable bit rate. That would be nice.

• Reply 2 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    One step at a time! We'll get there in the end!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Huh. That's good news, I guess, but it doesn't make any sense.

Why would Apple do this? If they're not tagging higher bit-rate songs as such, it doesn't do anything to sales or all over desirability. I can't believe they would do some kind of "soft" roll out-- there isn't anything to test or make sure about, you just offer up higher bit-rate songs, done. The only tricky thing is an interface with more choices, and apparently this isn't that.

So what up? Maybe higher bit-rates are going to be like easter eggs?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I'm going to take a stab and guess the artist/publisher specified they wanted higher-quality music.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    A lot of what I've purchased through iTMS have been 32 kbps.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Everything I've purchased has been 128 kbps with the exception of Audiobooks which are 32 kbps. No flip-flopping bitrates here.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by speed_the_collapse

I'm going to take a stab and guess the artist/publisher specified they wanted higher-quality music.

The music in question (big beats and synth lines) probably benefits least from a somewhat higher bit-rate .

Somehow I doubt that these particular artist/publishers are going to be worrying about wringing that last bit of sonic accuracy out of their on line offerings.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

A lot of what I've purchased through iTMS have been 32 kbps.

Audio books? radio shows? pay-to-play podcasts? rap music? other than these I cant imagine anything that would sound acceptable to the least discriminating ear at 32k!

Did you mean 320 or something?