Vista delays have Microsoft employees calling for changes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft employees disgruntled over the latest Windows Vista delay are arguing amongst themselves over who is to blame, with some pointing the finger at the company's leadership.

The long-time Apple rival announced last week that it would delay the much-hyped update to its Windows operating system until November for corporate customers and early 2007 consumer versions -- effectively folding its hand on the 2006 holiday shopping season.

An article on PC Pro points to one disgruntled insider named Who da'Punk voiced his feelings in a blog posting under the heading "Vista 2007. Fire the leadership now!"

In the posting the anonymous employee complains, "I was upset at missing the back-to-school market. Now we're missing the holiday sales market. [...] So not only did we miss last year's opportunity, we're missing this year's opportunity, too."

In closing, the employee points his finger at the Redmond, Wash.-based company's senior management: "People need to be fired and moved out of Microsoft today. Where's the freakin' accountability?"

The tirade triggered a huge discussion amongst the company's employees in the blog's comments with several demanding that chief executive Steve Ballmer (remix) top the list of people who should be on the chopping block. One said "Being a 10+ year vet I feel ashamed and sad. This company is a mess on so many levels." Another countered with: "Clamoring for a bunch of people getting fired is a waste of time. It?s OUR fault that this company is a disaster. You know who is responsible for our mess, US. It?s your fault."

"Ballmer has to resign anyway. Or eventually get fired," said a third. "Under his leadership, we did not foresee the major evolution waves that happened during these last years: modular OS, virtualization, portable audio/media, [and] search. In all fields, we either lost, or suffered significant challenges."

The discussion also revolved heavily around Vista and Mac OS X. "Vista - I wouldn't buy it with someone else's money. Then again what do I know, I've only been testing the dog for the last 2-3 yrs," one proclaimed employee wrote. Another put it less bluntly: "Folks, the only difference between Vista and prior releases (back to at least NT4/Windows 2000) is the size of the [::expletive::] up."

Meanwhile, another poster claiming "inside" knowledge said Apple is preparing to stomp Microsoft with its next major operating system upgrade, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. "Apple is preparing a big attack against Vista with Leopard. They are preparing this for over 3 years now," wrote the anonymous poster. "Tiger's under-the-hood improvements make it possible to keep any significant feature secret until a month or two before shipping."

Microsoft has said it is delaying Vista in order to beef up the security, but there are said to be major problems in other areas of the OS such as the Media Centre (MCE). "Why exactly is MCE so bad? Didn't anyone test this puppy before kicking it out the door and having another PM party?," asked one employee.

Nevertheless, the Vista delays already appear to be causing a minute domino effect. Microsoft also announced last week that it will put off the consumer release of Office 2007 so that it is in line with the new release schedule for Vista.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    This just makes Leopard sound even better! I can't wait.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Looks like heads are already starting to roll:

http://www.informationweek.com/windo...leID=183702744
  • Reply 3 of 48
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quite frankly, I think the only people who care about a new version of Windows are Microsoft employees. I don't think they've ever been successful at telling people why or how Windows X Edition is going to make their computing lives easier or more enjoyable. Come to think of it, maybe that's because they haven't figured out how to make people's lives easier or more enjoyable

I am however very anxious to see what Mac OS X 10.5 has in store, since OS X 10.4 already has everything Visa is promising to deliver.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    zizonezizone Posts: 3member
    Please don't fire Steve Ballmer, we love his keynote!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

I don't think they've ever been successful at telling people why or how Windows X Edition is going to make their computing lives easier or more enjoyable.

Safer!! It's safer than that last one!!! And we'll get the security patches out to you TWICE as often... Talk about safe!

--B
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Lets remember Jim Allchin is directly responsible for the SNAFU as well as the clusterfrack so lets all jeer at Jim Allchin too as well as that idiot "sepp" ballmer
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Quite frankly, I think the only people who care about a new version of Windows are Microsoft employees. I don't think they've ever been successful at telling people why or how Windows X Edition is going to make their computing lives easier or more enjoyable.

Didn't Bill Gates say that Windows 98 would improve a person's Internet experience?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by zizone

yes! beat me to it.

absolutely classic.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Those guys sound like us over here at AI.com.

Except they get paid for being fanatical and expecting perfection.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I went and read the posts. Real scathing self analysis. I must be getting sick because I found the ranting highly entertaining.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    BRING!!

IT!!

ON!!!
  • Reply 12 of 48
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Oh, and,

MICROSOFT IS DOOMED!!!!!

• Reply 13 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This Steve Ballmer thing is the most outrageously funny thing I've ever seen I'm my whole life!

He should have never taken his psychiatrists advice!

"Find a way to release your anger Steve! It's the key to true happiness".

He's gonna get fired soon!

Soooooo funny!
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

I have 4 words to you: OH MY GOD!

[edit] "Dearest" is the fourth word... OH MY DEAREST GOD!
  • Reply 15 of 48
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    MAC OS USERS UNITE!

• Reply 16 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I wouldn't be surprised if this marks the end of an era. No, not of Microsoft, but of closed-source desktop & server OSes. If so, we have Linus to thank.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

Amway would love this guy.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    to be honest i dont know if i really want microsoft to bomb hard.

i dont want hackers and malicious code writers coming to our beloved platform.

regardless of what anyone says, osx could be hacked and we could face something like what windows users face.

i dont want that, i want microsoft to atleast succeed spreading that shltty OS around the business community.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

regardless of what anyone says, osx could be hacked and we could face something like what windows users face.

We would NEVER face what Windows users face. While viruses, etc are not impossible on the mac, the likelihood of them happening is still a lot less than that of microsoft.

Market share does not play as big a role as many would have you believe. I heard this straight from a security expert who actually works for MS.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

If so, we have Linus to thank.

That's even funnier than MS saying they invented Windows.