Will Apple miss the Windows Vista delay opportunity?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First off, is the delay of any significance to Apple?

Secondly, if history is any cue it would seem Apple would not seize the opportunity this holiday season. It always seems they're waiting for something but it's been this way, well, forever. What are they waiting for?

I truly hope for some type of big offensive push for the Macintosh in the fall, but it seems we (particularly Pscates) know Apple wont.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Secondly, if history is any cue it would seem Apple would not seize the opportunity this holiday season. It always seems they're waiting for something but it's been this way, well, forever. What are they waiting for?

I truly hope for some type of big offensive push for the Macintosh in the fall, but it seems we (particularly Pscates) know Apple wont.

I think they will do the best they can. This is being discussed in other threads, but the impact of Adobe's Cs3 release as well as MS office probably, IMO, make it more difficult to exploit this opportunity. I'm sure Apple would love to see SJ get on stage on show off brand new powermacs (or whatever they'll call them) crisply running photoshop. Problem is ps don't work so well in rosetta. I've said it before, Adobe is gonna hurt PM sales.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Adobe is gonna hurt PM sales.

I'm experiencing Deja Vu.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

I'm experiencing Deja Vu.

So am I.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I'll shut up.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Apple has been waiting for everyone to convert to the Apple frame of mind and come to them. However this is never going to happen. Apple needs to wake up and figure out they have a great opportunity to be the driving force in the computer market. However they look like they'd rather just be the industry's R&D department.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What they NEED to do is fire artsy-fartsy Chiat/Day or whoever the fuck makes their retarded commercials.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

No.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

No.

I agree with you!

However those who have never used apple, or know little of Macs, i.e. a lot of Europeans will sit up and take notice!

I mean going into the holiday season with intel processors and a fresh 'Earth shattering OS' with the only competition, not even been able to deliver their OS will surly get consumer attention!

This will no doubt be a very big year for apple, and next year with abobe and the ProMacs ready 2007 will be positively HUGE!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Vista's delay means very little to Apple. Many PC users know that Vista is coming but they're not so eager for a new OS so much that they'd jump into a new platform.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Vista's delay means very little to Apple. Many PC users know that Vista is coming but they're not so eager for a new OS so much that they'd jump into a new platform.

Most people don't seem to get how this will help apple!

It's not the people upgrading who will give apple the boost right away, it's the people buying new computers! Word is starting to spread like wildfire over here about how cool and safe and powerful apple computers are! And going into the holiday season with anything new is great for business, full-stop!

"Let's see honey, do we want the five year old system or the cutting edge one".

That's how the average Joe thinks! "Eh lets go for the new one"

Oh by the way if I stopped someone on the street over here and said do you know what a Mac is?? They would say, "you mean a Big Mac"!

But if I asked them, do you know what an apple computer is? The would say yes!

Just a bit of perspective you might not get living in the states. The same applies for the U.K.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I see it both ways.

Vista's delay means nothing to the people who were never considering using a Mac in the first place.

Vista's delay potentially more damaging to MS and OEM's, than it is much gain for Apple.

On the other hand Vista's delay can be a boon for Apple with those who could go either way. There are some people, some groups, some industries who are on the fence about Windows or OS X.

Many reports I've read say the first and second quarters of the year are fairly slow for the PC market. It is possible that some organizations will wait until first quarter to buy Vista, but its unlikely.

Because of this it is well expected by some that MS may push Vista back to June. That would be the next time after Christmas that major PC purchases are to be made. Even with this its expected that many will just settle into XP for awhile.

By January 07 if the market feels Apple is able to offer what Vista offers with more stability and assurance can help Apple increase its market share. With the added bonus option of being able to run Vista if that company needs to.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Vista is still by and large a move to a new code base, despite the stripped features. OSX had its share of delays at first.

I think that while this is not good news for MS, in the big picture it's not going to be terribly significant. The Vista base should enable faster updates from that point on, not unlike OSX. The OS "competition" will get more interesting after 2007. And that only helps Apple as well, because at least they have the drive to compete.

As for the delay itself, I think it helps Apple in the eyes of fence-sitters that are aware of such things as "Leopard" and "Vista". And that is a small minority.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'll say this, hopefully the delay and shakeup is not Microsoft finally getting a clue. Microsoft releasing a quality operating system would be very bad for apple.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

No.

Maybe MS should license OSX and run a windows shell on top. I know, bring up a blast from the past.