Round 3: Apple to battle Apple in court this week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Sosumi battles the pinko rollators

(Yes. This one took some time to compose )
  • Reply 22 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

(Yes. This one took some time to compose )

Sigh!
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Hey. A lot of work went into that one
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:

Hey. A lot of work went into that one

I could tell!
  • Reply 25 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

The U2 iPod did *not* contain their songs. It came with a $50-off coupon towards purchasing "The Complete U2" at the iTunes Music Store.

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions. You are correct on this.

I own the U2 iPod. No songs were preloaded, nor was I under the impression that they were included when I ordered it. The product descriptions were pretty specific that it was a $50 off coupon for the "Digital Box Set", but descriptions in the press and even Mac-fan web sites generally got this detail wrong. That coupon was redeemed and downloaded through iTMS. I have no idea what a digital box is.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yeah, but when it's YOUR money (in the generic sense, I don't mean you), it's different.

When it's someone else's money, it's easy.

What money? Let's get down to the reality here: who in their right mind would confuse Apple Records with the iTunes music store?

Or I guess the other argument is: does the iTunes music store benefit from the reputation Apple Records has built? Not in my mind. Other than die-hard Beatles fans, who even knows about Apple Records nowadays?

So what money is there to be lost/made? Perhaps through the rose colored, tunnel vision glasses of the law you can see some sort of money loss/gain scenario here, but any rational human being certainly can't.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    AT this point I suspect Apple would better serve their investors to just purchase Apple Corps outright. Between court costs and a the likely settlement, it probably wouldn't be that much of a premium. As an added bonus Apple would then presumably have exclusive domain over selling the Beatles catalog online.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What does this have to do with the British? The former Beatles, and their representatives, are the ones suing. Besides, it might not be frivolous.

Even the judge pointed out that he is a music lover, and uses an iPod.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems pretty damn obvious that the precedent set in a previous case covers this one. In other words, this case is one involving minutia in an attempt to siphon some cash or to make a headline.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

What money? Let's get down to the reality here: who in their right mind would confuse Apple Records with the iTunes music store?

Or I guess the other argument is: does the iTunes music store benefit from the reputation Apple Records has built? Not in my mind. Other than die-hard Beatles fans, who even knows about Apple Records nowadays?

So what money is there to be lost/made? Perhaps through the rose colored, tunnel vision glasses of the law you can see some sort of money loss/gain scenario here, but any rational human being certainly can't.

I was replying to another post.

It has nothing to do with confusing the two anymore, though it might have been in the '70's. It's the fact that an agreement was made, and might have been broken.

The money has to do with the fact that those who control Apple Records don't want to let this go. Paul, Ringo, Harrison's wife, Ono, and Aspinall see a chance of making some good money out of this.

Anyone here would likely do the same if they were in their position.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

That sounds familiar... oh yes, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That sounds familiar... oh yes, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Finally someone got it (rollators being the remaining members of Beatles of course)
  • Reply 32 of 41
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Wow.. talk about greed...

I mean, what happened, all of a sudden the licensing of Beatles music just isnt enough?

Hey Apple Corps... FUCK YOU
  • Reply 33 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I know it has no bearing on the case, but what has Apple(misic) done in the last 20 years? cash checks? sell the same cuts on a differant media (ala 8track/vinal->cassette->CD->DVD-A)?

Does apple have new artists? studios? you know, an acctual business model? or is it just a corprate frontend to distribute royalties to the Beatles?

The beatles music speaks for its self, they dont need a lable with a major name, if apple corps changed their name to banana-fo-fana-dingdong, no one would notice, the music would still be the same, Apple records isnt a brand, the Beatles are the brand.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Yes, phony beatlemania has most certainly bitten the dust.

I understand the perspective of "breach of agreement", but there is no copyright conflict here in my opinion, just a cash grab. While it may make business sense, it certainly doesn't make common sense.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Looks like the Beatles want another slice of Apples pie. Remember those previous cases? Apple Computer was sued when it began to integrate technology to let Mac users attach external speakers to their computer. Apple Corps won that case, and received $50 million in reparation from Apple Computer. Legend has it that the Apple sound "Sosumi" was a sort of two fingered salute to the deal when Apple improved the sound capabilities of the Mac.

Apple Corps are just seeing more $$$ signs before their greedy eyes with this new case. Apple Computer are riding high at the moment and ripe for the picking (sorry for all the Apple puns). Everyone with half a brain can differentiate between the two companies. Apple Computer are not in the music business (hell, it's debatable wether Apple Corps are in the music business)!
  • Reply 36 of 41
    If Apple had decided upon a name for itself that wasn't already being used then none of this would ever have happened. That's not The Beatles fault. The two companies came to an agreement in 1991, ten years later came the iPod, if Apple Corps feel that the terms of the agreement are being broken-are they not allowed to go back to court?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

If Apple had decided upon a name for itself that wasn't already being used then none of this would ever have happened. That's not The Beatles fault. The two companies came to an agreement in 1991, ten years later came the iPod, if Apple Corps feel that the terms of the agreement are being broken-are they not allowed to go back to court?

Absolutely. But just because the actions of Apple Corps can be justified within the current copyright/trademark law system doesn't make it right. For all the singing/preaching the various Beatles members have done/currently do about making the world a better place, it turns out they're just another self-interested business entity after all.

And no, I don't own any Apple stock. I just happen to feel strongly that the Beatles don't deserve to keep getting money from Apple when there's no real conflict.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Anyone know offhand what other artists are on the Apple Corps label? All I think of is The Beatles.

When this goes to court I hope that some headway is made. If all that happens is that the date is pushed back another 6 months I'm gonna scream!
  • Reply 39 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Anyone know offhand what other artists are on the Apple Corps label? All I think of is The Beatles.

Wikipedia List

I suppose Hot Chocolate is notable.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    James Taylor (of 'Fire and rain' fame) is probably their major artist (apart from Beatles).

I found a great quote from this source...

"The way the entire Beatle catalogue continues to retail at full price despite its age and the fact that Help! or With The Beatles or Sergeant Pepper could fit twice onto a single CD, represents the less savoury side of the Beatle inheritance.

I once moaned about this to EMI's then A& R chief, Nick Gatfield. 'Nothing to do with us,' he shrugged. 'Blame Apple.' EMI are merely licensed by Apple Corps to manufacture and distribute Beatle products. Since the bitter round of lawsuits between the assorted Beatles and their business manager Allen Klein which accompanied the break-up of the group, there has been no sign of the Utopian 'what's ours is yours' philosophy which lay behind the forming of the original, chaotic Apple. Today it is a secretive and unsentimental business organisation, marketing its priceless assets for all they're worth."

Nice insight