MacBook Pro Heat Issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know if anyone here has experienced heating/cooling issues with the new MacBook Pro. I had one yesterday, and thought that I would bring it up here and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Yesterday I was using one of the base model MBP's to record live sound. It was single track simple recording using GarageBand. I had the power supply plugged in because it was going to be about an hour worth of recording. By the end of the recording the MagSafe connector, the cube of the power supply and the hinge of the MBP were EXTREMELY hot! The MagSafe was hot enough to burn yourself on. I am concerned as to the longevity of these new products. What will happen if the same thing happens to a plastic clad MacBook? The hinge was hot enough to have damaged the plastic used on iBooks. Not to mention the vital wires that run through the hinge area. All of the wires for the display are there, and now Apple has added the antenna for AirPort into the hinge.

I am not certain if this is "normal" behavior for the MBP or if the unit that I used was defective.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    People have said that the MBP has a warmth comparable to the PowerBook G4. Since the PBG4 has been out for several years now and a couple with the same anodized aluminum as in the MBP, with no problems regarding shortened life due to heat, I think we're fine.

It may be very hot but that's what you pay for using a pro notebook.

I don't know if the MacBook will be similar. I imagine they'll have the same processors as the Mac mini have.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    In relation to your worries about longetivity and possible damage, you don't necessarily need to worry. A temperature of 60 degrees c is hot enough to burn you, but won't do damage to any hardware. I've got a titanium G4 that has got very hot on many occasions, and that's still going strong after 4.5 years...

If you are concerned, you should take it to a genius bar to ask if it's within spec.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Yeah... The plastic connectors are rated to something like 120 C... At that point, you wouldn't be able to hold them let alone touch them without permanent and searing injuries...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    peter_lpeter_l Posts: 26member
    My friend one time closed the lid of his Ti PowerBook, but it didn't go to sleep for some reason. He then left it on his bed (plugged in) for a few hours after covering it with some blankets/whatever other random stuff he threw on it. When he finally found it, the keyboard had melted into a big mass of plastic, but everything else was totally fine. I think it'll be able to stand up to some heat.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peter_l

My friend one time closed the lid of his Ti PowerBook, but it didn't go to sleep for some reason. He then left it on his bed (plugged in) for a few hours after covering it with some blankets/whatever other random stuff he threw on it. When he finally found it, the keyboard had melted into a big mass of plastic, but everything else was totally fine. I think it'll be able to stand up to some heat.

If that's true, then... damn! I bet he/she wasn't very happy about that! Although, probably quite pleased it hadn't started a fire...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have had a several powerbook g4's, including the last one they made. You could put a powerbook on your legs (wearing shorts) and it MIGHT get uncomfortable after a couple hours. Unless you are a used to hot stuff on your skin, there is no way you would able to do that with a MBP. Luckily, they cool off VERY fast. If I have fine in my lap for a while, I can just close it, turn it upside down, go get a drink, and come back and it is fine. There is no doubt it though, it gets very hot, as in you would be uncomfortable holding it if it didn't cool down so fast.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    if the top of the notebook isn't hot then you have nothing to worry about.

technically if you are doing something like recording live sound, sound manipulation,etc,etc

you should have it on a desk with enough breathing room and not on your lap.

after all these are powerful machines. just because its a laptop doesn't mean it wont get hot.

imagine having a pwermac g5 quad on your lap.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    biotechbiotech Posts: 20member
    My wife was burned by my new Mac Book the other day when she was just surfing the net. Left a large red welt on her leg. So this thing is getting hot all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    What about performance?

I think i've read somewhere that the cpu rev's down if it's running too hot... \