New ibook on April first?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey people.

I am not one to speculate...especially when it comes to apple releases...BUT I am in dire need of help. :-)

I just came back from shooting a documentary on the new sport of riverboarding in New Zealand (newzealandriverboarding.com)....

so I've been kinda outta the loop on all the latest rumors about apple.

The thing is my trusty, but aged ibook finally died during my trip.

I definitely need a new laptop pronto. I know the macbook pro was released...but I've always been kinda partial to the ibook line. To me, they are the perfect travel laptop. Durable, great batt life, fantastic wireless reception...and more then enough power for me to use in the field(and i do alot of vid editing).

Anyway...since coming back, I've heard many different things about the upcoming ibook. I was hoping you all could shed some light on the situation.

Do you think the ibook will get updated on April 1st? Will it be a complete redesign do you think? Peronally I don't care if its still called an ibook or if Apple will just call it a macbook. I just want one asap.

what do u all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    There is rampant speculation on Apple releasing something on saturday or next tuesday. However NOTHING in real life indicates that: Apple haven´t sent any invitations to the press, no specs have been leaked etc. And even if Apple should release something the next week i isn´t guaranteed it will be a new iBook/iBook replacement.

When they do you can be pretty sure it will mimic the Intel Mini wrt specs. Form factor? Well so far the MacIntels have looked like the PPC models they replaced, so my guess is they will do the same with the iBook.

So my guess is: No iBooks the next month but within three-four months, Same specs as the Intel Minis, same form factor as the current iBooks (perhaps small changes to the port configuration)

But noone know ANYTHING right now.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    cool. thanks for your opinion.

i haven't been paying attention to the rumors since i was overseas the last few months.

I definitely wont keep my hopes up about this saturday.

and perhaps you are right about apple not changing the form factor much. I guess we will find out soon enough. But like u wrote, it may be a few months.

i just hope i can hold out that long. I'd hate to buy an old G4 ibook when it seems we are so close to an update.

Anyway thanks again. Anyone else with thoughts on the upcoming intel ibook. Hopes?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    imho, it'll be sooner rather than later, I really think within the next month or so. Considering how cruddy the current iBook screen is (too dim, bad resolution), I'd never buy that thing in 2006 as a new laptop.

At the minimum, wait until after the 4th of April before you decide.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    yeah, i usually don't like playing the waiting game, but in this case, I think you are right.

Its just too close to call. I think I'd be a fool not to wait alittle longer.

thanx
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I'd agree, definetly wait a while for the new iBook

But in the meantime, why don't you look at some online guides and try and repair your broken iBook you've got now? Even if you spend a bit of money on a new hard drive, memory or a battery, you can always put the iBook on eBay after you buy a new one.

Personally I'm hoping for a new iPod, as my birthday's coming up, so here's hoping there's an Apple event this weekend or early next week .
  • Reply 6 of 14
    at least wait for another 38 minutes until (11am PST) today. Something....coming out of the black mists of cupertino...today.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

at least wait for another 38 minutes until (11am PST) today. Something....coming out of the black mists of cupertino...today.

I like rumor sites that can track down product announcements to the nearest minute.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I think Apple will do something "different" for their birthday like creating a video of the past 30 years (people, products, etc.) and releasing it as a free download on iTunes. Somewhere in the video the new MacBook and video iPod will be visible, but you will have to look hard to find it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voch

I like rumor sites that can track down product announcements to the nearest minute.

well, mine was as close as the rest of them!!!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Since the intel minis introduction got a "fun" event, I'd expect iBooks to get an intro too, especially since they'd get a decent feature bump and not be just the same-old-ibook but with intel inside.

That said, I do expect some form of event for Apple's anniversary, but it may just be specials at the Apple store and some iTunes tie-ins.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    With the education buying season very close I would consider that the iBook replacement will be out in time for Apple to get a lot of new orders.

I'm one of those that think Apple will come out with a new design for the MacBook. They haven't come out with a new design for the iBook for a long time - both the PB and Mac mini are rather new in comparison. It's about time that J Ive shows his stuff again I believe that the market will respond at a far higher level with a new design. There have been some rumors of a 13" wide screen design - that would be worth waiting for.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

With the education buying season very close I would consider that the iBook replacement will be out in time for Apple to get a lot of new orders.

I'm one of those that think Apple will come out with a new design for the MacBook. They haven't come out with a new design for the iBook for a long time - both the PB and Mac mini are rather new in comparison. It's about time that J Ive shows his stuff again I believe that the market will respond at a far higher level with a new design. There have been some rumors of a 13" wide screen design - that would be worth waiting for.

I had a choice between the intel iMac and Mac Book Pro and so I got the iMac for home use and wait for a laptop since I really need a smaller portable than the MacBook Pro. Since I've had the iMac, I'm definitely ready for a nice light intel based mac portable. Give me a tablet or a small laptop, and SOON!!!

Yes, I agree, its going to be a new design. Lets hope and dream anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Yeah, I did the same thing....bought a 20" imac for heavy home use...figured I could get by with my old G3 ibook for when i need to go mobile.(until they update to the intel ibook).

But my ibook just died for the second time. And now I have no mobile solution.

We seem to be sooooooooo close to some sort of update to the ibook, that I'd be foolish not to wait alittle bit longer.

No update today so far<sigh> Not that I expected there to be one on a Saturday anyway. But it is the 30th anniversary of Apple, and I was hoping.

Oh well...theres always this Tuesday. Heh heh heh. :-)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Yeh my wife needs to get a MB asap - im expecting a Core Solo, any chance of a 14" widescreen Core Duo? essentially a high end MB.