iPod update allows users to set volume limit

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Responding to criticism over the potential for the players to cause hearing loss, Apple on Wednesday released a software update for its fifth-generation iPods and the iPod nano that allows users to set a maximum volume limit.

The 26.7MB update, labeled iPod Updater 2006-03-23, also offers some "bug fixes" according to a brief set of release notes accompanying its release.

Apple has been criticized recently over the iPods potential to cause hearing loss if listened to at high volumes for long periods of time.

A Northwestern University professor and audiologist in November claimed that the earbud-style headphones which ship with Apple's iPod and other MP3 players can cause serious, permanent hearing loss.

Just last month, the subject escalated when a group of lawyers and an iPod owner filed a federal lawsuit against the company, claiming the iPod causes hearing loss and that the iconic music player is "inherently defective in design and are not sufficiently adorned with adequate warnings regarding the likelihood of hearing loss."

"With the increased attention in this area, we want to offer customers an easy to use option to set their own personal volume limit," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing.

The new Volume Limit feature works with any headphone or accessory plugged into the iPod headphone jack as well as Apple's iPod Radio Remote. Once set, the volume limit can be locked with a combination code.

Instructions on how to locate and activate the new features on your iPod are available on Apple's support site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Nice feature but this is hardly worthy of a lawsuit.

If you stick a torch in your mouth and suck on it, expect smoke down your lungs.

If you stick a noise maker in your ear, expect noise in your ears.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    At least something slightly useful came of this silliness.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    I might be mistaken, but I thought all iPods had a volume control. You know, the kind where you can TURN IT DOWN.

Stupid lawyers.

I could possibly see the suit if the only music was from Spinal Tap. I mean, they are the "loudest band in England"
  • Reply 4 of 33
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Nice to see how quickly apple can come up with a solution to a problem that isn't a problem. They still have an elegant "fix".

I would like to see creative make changes to their mp3 players with such ease.

Once again apple show how things can be done with no fuss or hassle it just works.

j.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    jleonjleon Posts: 22member
    You know, there's an old saying that if you try to make something idiot-proof, someone will come around and build a better idiot.

I suppose you could choke on the earbuds too, maybe those lawyers should try to find out in the interests of public safety...
  • Reply 6 of 33
    knnethknneth Posts: 14member
    I am an active iPod user and damn fond of this new, great feature. While skipping songs, forwarding or whatever (using the touch wheel actively and perhaps slightly distracted) accidently maxing the volume used to be too easy! Whenever I accidently max it, I instantly feel near reflex of throwing it into a brick wall -- only love holds me back.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

I might be mistaken, but I thought all iPods had a volume control. You know, the kind where you can TURN IT DOWN.

Well, when at your quiet home you have good sound at a relatively low level, on the busy street or in the train you set the volume almost twice as loud. Without knowing it, you are pumping much pressure into your ears just to hear your music over the sound of traffic.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

Nice to see how quickly apple can come up with a solution to a problem that isn't a problem. They still have an elegant "fix".

Problem that isn't a problem? Just turn it down?

I guess none of you have ever had the experience I had, where I put my iPod in my pocket one evening and forgot to lock out input. The next morning, I put in my earphones, turned on the iPod, and hit play, just like I always do. Somehow, though, while the iPod was in my pocket, the volume had been turned all the way up. So, deafening noise thundered into my ears for several seconds while I panicked, trying to get back to the "Now Playing" screen so I could turn down the volume.*

Now with this nice feature, I can set a max volume, and never have to worry about the output being painful. Problem solved.

I do think Apple may have given parents a false sense of security, though. A combination on the max volume? Unless they have some lockout mechanism after a few tries, or the combo is closer to 10 numbers (didn't notice a count), any kid is going to have it cracked in no time. All of their time will be spent staring at their iPod trying every number in sequence. I suppose this gets Apple out of legal liability, though. And, it's not like any easily-implemented mechanism wouldn't have been just as easily broken.

*Yes, I know, I should have pulled the headphones out of the jack/pressed pause/etc. for instant silence. I was panicking, it was early, I wasn't thinking clearly.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Now no more money grabbing bastards will try to sue because they are too lazy to turn the volume down!!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by knneth

I'm an iPod user and DAMN glad of this feature. While skipping songs, forwarding or whatever (using the touch wheel actively) accidently maxing the volume is too easy! Whenever I max it, I instantly feel the urge of throwing it into a brick wall, but ofcourse I couldn't do that because I love my iPod <3

I've experienced this situation many times. Sometimes when holding it or adjusting the volume I just touch it the wrong way and then it boosts the volume up all the way. Ouch.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    It's almost as bad as the McDonalds lawsuit with them now having to put "This cup of coffee is hot" on the side.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by knneth

I'm an iPod user and DAMN glad of this feature. While skipping songs, forwarding or whatever (using the touch wheel actively) accidently maxing the volume is too easy! Whenever I max it, I instantly feel the urge of throwing it into a brick wall, but ofcourse I couldn't do that because I love my iPod <3

yup totally, any avid ipod user has experienced this.

people like aplnub grossly underestimate a feature like this
  • Reply 13 of 33
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

yup totally, any avid ipod user has experienced this.

people like aplnub grossly underestimate a feature like this

Not arguing it's not a useful feature, but I'm an avid ipod user who has never experienced that.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Any little fix like this is welcome though what I would really like is a fix to get rid of blank space in between mixed music (ie. dance music comps.) on the iPod. No more interrupted transitions between songs! That really p*sses me off.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    How can the guy, prove that it was his iPod that caused his earring loss? there are many things could of caused it, i.e traffic, work environment, night clubs, or maybe his misses slapping him around the head shouting down his lug!... most women do this!... lol, has to be a head banger to come with such a stupid lawsuit.

• Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommyt74

How can the guy, prove that it was his iPod that caused his earring loss?

Maybe by the blood stain on the earbud when he yanked it out?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    OUCH!........ thats funny thinking about it, what was the out come of the case? anyone no?

• Reply 18 of 33
    hope this helps MiMAC

open up itunes,

click on song u want to make shorter,

click on get info from the file menu.

click on option, look down the list u should see a start time and stop time, adjust the song length to suit

hope this helps!.....
  • Reply 19 of 33
    I know what you're describing but what I really mean is the way in which the iPod pauses to access the next track while playing a mix. There is no fix for that (even what you have described will have no effect on the pause). Thanks anyway
  • Reply 20 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My first reaction to the update was to say that now no more money grabbing bastards can sue apple because they are to lazy to turn the volume down!

That's is true, however on another website someone made a comment: "this is great cause now I can set the maximum volume on my two daughters iPods 8/9, with the security combination set, they now can't damage there ears with their iPods even if they want to listen to them at full volume.

In this case and similar ones with young kids, the update is a warm welcome to all parents who care about their kids.

Happy 30th apple!