Apple releases Final Cut and Pro apps for Intel Macs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Making good on a commitment to its professional customers, Apple Computer on Wednesday rolled out Final Cut Studio 5.1, which includes Universal binaries of its "Pro" applications that will run at native speeds on the company's new Intel Macs.

The $1299 professional software suite includes Universal copies of Final Cut Pro 5, Soundtrack Pro, Motion 2 and DVD Studio Pro 4, meaning they run natively on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs.

Customers who own Final Cut Pro 1, Final Cut Pro 2, or Final Cut Pro 3 may upgrade to Final Cut Studio 5.1 for the reduced cost of $699. Final Cut Pro 5 license holders may pay $99 to upgrade to the entire suite of Pro apps, while those who already own the bundle for PowerPC Macs can trade their discs in with a $49 payment to receive the new Universal version.

Earlier this year, AppleInsider reported that Apple would no longer offer its Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, and DVD Studio Pro audio and video applications as standalone products, and instead would sell them exclusively as part of the $1299 Final Cut Studio suite. As a result, Apple customers who own the current versions of either DVD Studio Pro, Motion, and Soundtrack Pro will be eligible to upgrade to the entire $1299 Final Cut Studio 5.1 for just $199.

As of press time, Apple had yet to release the Universal version of Final Cut Express HD -- a slimmed down version of the video editing application.

A note on the Apple Store Web site reads: "The next feature release of Final Cut Express will be a Universal application, which will run natively on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    What's the source on this? Apple's website doesn't have any info about this shipping.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    If anybody is cross-grading from a single app like I will with Final Cut Pro I'm very interested in hearing what you get. Is it just discs, or do you get manuals too, that sort of thing. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

What's the source on this? Apple's website doesn't have any info about this shipping.

Apple's STORE has all of the info you need. Don't look for paid upgrade info on their regular site. It won't be there.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA285Z%2FA

Click on the blue "learn more", and all will be revealed.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    So where is the Intel-based Pro hardware to run these Universal Binaries on?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

If anybody is cross-grading from a single app like I will with Final Cut Pro I'm very interested in hearing what you get. Is it just discs, or do you get manuals too, that sort of thing. Thanks.

As I wrote above.

It says the "complete" Universal version. The pic of the box sure looks to contain the manuals. No promise though. Why don't you call, and ask?
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

So where is the Intel-based Pro hardware to run these Universal Binaries on?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

You couldn't resist what? Showing us that you seem to be living in a cave somewhere?

The MacBook Pro will run these apps nicely. Perhaps you don't understand that many video editors use Powerbooks in the field to edit the dailies, and to make edit control lists for the editors back in the studio to use?

The 20" iMac will run these just as well as most any dual G5 machine will, now that these are native.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You couldn't resist what? Showing us that you seem to be living in a cave somewhere?

The MacBook Pro will run these apps nicely. Perhaps you don't understand that many video editors use Powerbooks in the field to edit the dailies, and to make edit control lists for the editors back in the studio to use?

The 20" iMac will run these just as well as most any dual G5 machine will, now that these are native.

• Reply 8 of 79
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Any update on Aperture?
  • Reply 9 of 79
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

seconded
  • Reply 10 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Apple's STORE has all of the info you need. Don't look for paid upgrade info on their regular site. It won't be there.

But if they're shipping the universal version, shouldn't their main site reflect that in their system requirements? And shouldn't they update "Available in March 2006"? And shouldn't their universal upgrade page (which the store sends you to if you have individual apps) say "shipping now"?

It's nice that the store has been updated. But I would think they'd want to update the outdated info on their main page as well, wouldn't you?
  • Reply 11 of 79
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

seconded

thirded
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Is Aperture native?

Me and my dad just bought it together, and I'd like to use it on my shiny new MacBook when it gets here.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

I was trying to develope a good reply and you beat me to it...agreed

Refresh my memory, how exactly do you run a 30 inch display, a video monitor/output/input IO (like an AJA card), 4 GB ram, and fiber channel into an iMac again?
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

thirded

I thought they updated it a while ago.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
  • Reply 15 of 79
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChristoRogers

I don't see it on swscan.apple.com.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:

Well, its supposed to show up in SW Update, so I guess I'll find out when we get it.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    Quote:

"Developed in consultation with pro photographers, Aperture 1.1?scheduled for release in March?will be available for $499."

Sounds like it's not released yet.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

"Developed in consultation with pro photographers, Aperture 1.1?scheduled for release in March?will be available for $499."

Sounds like it's not released yet.

well time is tickin, March is almost over. You'd think if the other Pro Apps were done, Aperature would be too.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Because Video Editors NEVER use Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects.

I don't care if Apple has to buy Adobe to do it, but they need to figure out some way to have those three programs out for intel macs before 2007. Otherwise Apple is going to be shooting themselves in the foot.

If they expect Motion to fill in the gaps they are out of their mind.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Because Video Editors NEVER use Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects.

I don't care if Apple has to buy Adobe to do it, but they need to figure out some way to have those three programs out for intel macs before 2007. Otherwise Apple is going to be shooting themselves in the foot.

If they expect Motion to fill in the gaps they are out of their mind.

Wtf is your point? Even if Adobe were to change their minds now, they'd still take months to port it, so it's not going to change anything.

And yes, Motion does fill in the gap of After Effects quite well. As for Illustrator, it has little to do with a video editor's job.