Am I the only one that DRM has no affect on??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
IF you can burn your songs to C.D. then what the hell is the problem??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Yes.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've never had a problem with it. The biggest problem I've had is my new computer not being authorized to play my songs. Simple solution: user name and password.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Okay, you asked for it!

What I hate about DRM:

In general I really hate it when companies try to lock you in to their proprietary and artificial solutions. And that, in effect, is exactly what companies using DRM are trying to accomplish. I know it is easy with a small number of songs to get out of the proprietary solution (e.g. ITMS song -> CD -> mp3), but I just really dislike the tactics of companies throwing up artificial boundaries hoping this will prevent you from buying/using the competitors technology. Make no mistake about it: by not licensing fair-play to other MP3 player makers, apple is trying to prevent you buying these other players just by making it a big PITA to transfer a lot of ITMS music to other players. Microsoft is trying to do the reverse by not having a drm'ed software player for the Mac.

Food for thought: lets apply these very same tactics to another playing field:

Imagine what could/would have happened to email (telephone) when providers (telco's) would only allow you to email (call) to customers using the same provider (telco)??

Well, that's exactly what DID happen in the instant messaging and VOIP world. The result: IM is used mostly by kids/teens/for fun and people still use expensive regular phone lines instead of only paying for internet acces and then calling for free to anyone in the world with a pc.

This is what lock-in tactics always end up causing: they are a PITA for consumers and furthermore, they put a big brake on the acceptance and growth of new technology. Therefore I strongly believe that all customers are served by common standards that work on as many different platforms as possible. STOP LOCK-IN TACTICS!!!!!

Put in another way: I don't have any problems with DRM.

I have a BIG problem with DRM used as a tactic to lock me into a proprietary system whether it is the ipod or windows or whatever. The day a company-independent global DRM technology is released will be the day i will buy DRM'ed music/video/whatever.

So that's my problem with DRM.

• Reply 4 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I can put whatever songs on whatever blank c.d. I want to, plus I love the iPod!

I'm happy. Oh and other players if you have one, either buy from a different source, or put them from a C.d. into it! Kinda straight forward really! I had no idea what DRM was until some people started talking about. Hence it never affected me.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Option B...

Go buy the CD (or DVD) ... then burn it into iTunes... your music will be DRM-free.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Option B...

Go buy the CD (or DVD) ... then burn it into iTunes... your music will be DRM-free.

Yea exactly if you don't want DRM by a CD, bingo!

However if you want to pay less, you want convience and you want to download from the best digital music store on the planet, go iTunes.

Right now let's let this thread slide away!

Anders your link has me puzzled??
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Yea exactly if you don't want DRM by a CD, bingo!

Just not from Sony.

Ireland, hope you have the same success with purchased videos and perhaps anything from Apple's mysterious movie store.