April 1st: Nothing More Than An April Fool?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Today (Wednesday 29th March), Apple rolled out the Universal version of its "Pro" applications to run natively on new Intel Macs, and my instantaneous reaction was simply - "why has Apple decided to announce this software milestone so quietly if there really is a Birthday Special Event just around the corner?"

And think about it, surely they'd love to have Steve Jobs praising how Apple is leading the way to a Universal Mac software market? There'd be a Keynote roadmap spanning from WWDC to Macworld, to the introduction of the Mac Mini and then to the mysterious question marks at the opposite end of the timeline. "And today, we're introducing... the fourth Intel Mac." It just makes perfect sense.

OK, so maybe they just want to draw attention to new consumer-level offerings, and leave the professional stuff out of it?

Or - more to the point - what if this is the biggest clue yet that Apple will NOT release new products to celebrate its thirtieth birthday? What if the rumour sites just have it all wrong?

To tell the truth, I still believe that there WILL be an Apple Special Event on or around April 1. I see no reason why Steve Jobs would proudly remind us of Apple's milestone birthday in the closing words of his Macworld keynote if Apple merely intended to let it pass quietly by. But it did leave me thinking.

Never mind the announcements - what about the event?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banjo

[B] What if the rumour sites just have it all wrong?

Well the rumour sites got Mac World SF in January totally wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Rumor is correct in American English. Rumor is also just that: something that may or may not be true, which makes these sites so much fun: none of us really knows anything.

There is a chance they released these apps today because they want more time next week to release bigger stuff... Always have hope!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Well the rumour sites got Mac World SF in January totally wrong.

except for appleinsider
  • Reply 4 of 36
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Perhaps it's meant to be their April Fool's joke and the actual "party" will be held at a later date once they've fooled us all into thinking nothing is going to happen?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

Perhaps it's meant to be their April Fool's joke and the actual "party" will be held at a later date once they've fooled us all into thinking nothing is going to happen?

• Reply 6 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What if they announce:

*The all new MacBook!

*The all new widescreen iPod!

*The all new movie store!

*And this! Well guess what?? I can't get the link to work!

Go to the Wireless audio thread! It's reall cool!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    The fact that Steve made a point of mentioning it before the end of the last (big) keynote shows that Apple aren't just going to let it blow over. I bet on Saturday morning they'll be a massive banner on the homepage ... and possibly a big hint saying "Watch this space...".

With Apple's level of secrecy there's bound to be some birthday suprises on the horizon
  • Reply 8 of 36
    ipeteipete Posts: 27member
    I bet we see something like the cover of Time on the 1st.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    I'm not so sure the marketing department would be too thrilled with any major anouncements on April Fools. Anytime in April would be their birthday and frankly anytime this year would work for a 30th anniverary.

Corey
  • Reply 10 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

I'm not so sure the marketing department would be too thrilled with any major anouncements on April Fools. Anytime in April would be their birthday and frankly anytime this year would work for a 30th anniverary.

Corey

• Reply 11 of 36
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banjo

Today (Wednesday 29th March), Apple rolled out the Universal version of its "Pro" applications to run natively on new Intel Macs, and my instantaneous reaction was simply - "why has Apple decided to announce this software milestone so quietly if there really is a Birthday Special Event just around the corner?"

And think about it, surely they'd love to have Steve Jobs praising how Apple is leading the way to a Universal Mac software market? There'd be a Keynote roadmap spanning from WWDC to Macworld, to the introduction of the Mac Mini and then to the mysterious question marks at the opposite end of the timeline. "And today, we're introducing... the fourth Intel Mac." It just makes perfect sense.

OK, so maybe they just want to draw attention to new consumer-level offerings, and leave the professional stuff out of it?

Or - more to the point - what if this is the biggest clue yet that Apple will NOT release new products to celebrate its thirtieth birthday? What if the rumour sites just have it all wrong?

To tell the truth, I still believe that there WILL be an Apple Special Event on or around April 1. I see no reason why Steve Jobs would proudly remind us of Apple's milestone birthday in the closing words of his Macworld keynote if Apple merely intended to let it pass quietly by. But it did leave me thinking.

Never mind the announcements - what about the event?!

this happens every year for apple's bday and every year nothing happens. eventually there will be an iBook replacement. yay, end of story.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    The fact that the Pro apps have been bumped to Universal Binary status means little?

Yes it was done at a date very close to April 1st?

But then Steve promised all Pro apps (excepting Shake, that bastard?!) would be UBs by March?

So, that's covered?

As for the quiet update, would you want to crow about your great new Intelified Pro apps, only to demonstrate a total lack of Pro Intel-based Macs??!?

Didn't think so?!

I am still holding out for the MacPad mini:

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" Flash-based HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo WUSB headset w/microphone

Stylus

Mac OS X v10.4.6

iLife

iWork

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

US$666

Happy 30th Birthday Apple Computer

;^p
  • Reply 13 of 36
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Chew on this for a while:

What good do Universal Binary pro apps do when you dont even have the Pro intel Macs out fully yet. The PowerBook is only half the way there and the PowerMac isnt even there. So this makes sense. Release the UB pro apps end of march when you promised ("sometime durring march") and release the pro computers at the begining of April, right after the 30th Bday.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I predict that on april 1st steve J will achieve nihrvana on his trip to India.

He will then leave this plane of existence and sell computers to the cosmos.

......or, not.

• Reply 15 of 36
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Chew on this for a while:

What good do Universal Binary pro apps do when you dont even have the Pro intel Macs out fully yet. The PowerBook is only half the way there and the PowerMac isnt even there. So this makes sense. Release the UB pro apps end of march when you promised ("sometime durring march") and release the pro computers at the begining of April, right after the 30th Bday.

Also, as I just noted in the Applications forum related to the pro apps going U.B., where are the updated system requirements? It would be nice to know if the new apps run (even if minimally) with integrated graphics, or colo solos?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    DHagan4755, the system requirements are listed on Final Cut Studio 5.1's store page. They are as follows:

Requirements

Macintosh computer with 867MHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, or Intel Core Duo processor; HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processors (authoring HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor)

512MB of RAM; HD features require 1GB of RAM or more (2GB recommended)

Display with 1024-by-768 or higher resolution

AGP or PCI-E Quartz Extreme graphics card

Motion requires the standard graphics card found in any MacBook Pro, iMac Intel Core Duo, Power Mac G5, iMac G5, a 1.25 GHz or faster PowerBook G4, or a 1.25 GHz or faster flat-panel iMac. See a complete list of supported graphics cards

Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later

QuickTime 7.0.4 or later

4GB of disk space required to install all applications

Additional 42GB required to install all optional templates, loops, content, and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks)

DVD drive for installation

Playback of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor

Replication of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored DVDs requires a DLT drive
  • Reply 17 of 36
    well if they DONT release anything in April, all i can say is that they have put back a sale to this customer... but then it will simpley be added to next quarter.... hey ho

im tired of holding off
  • Reply 18 of 36
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

DHagan4755, the system requirements are listed on Final Cut Studio 5.1's store page. They are as follows:

Ahh, thanks. They must have just done it. It wasn't there earlier.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Whatever happens, I'm still making a cake.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ooooh. . . cake.