iPod update allows users to set volume limit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Ooh, we should start a new term around here: "Pulling an Ireland"

Definition: Posting the exact same post in two similar threads.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Sounds good to me.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Oh yey I forgot to ad that was a double post, but copy and paste is far quicker!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I'm working on a lawsuit to hold auto manufacturers responsible for all accidents where at least one of the vehicles was traveling significantly above the speed limit. I mean really, if the car couldn't be driven that fast, and with just the twitch of your foot, mind you, how many lives could have been saved, and traffic tickets avoided? Who's with me?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While I too am smart to not purposely deafen myself, I have accidentally increased the volume while the iPod was paused and then blasted myself when I hit play again. Once I update my iPods I might set the limiter as a safeguard because I don't think I legitimately ever need it blasting except for some crappy, low-volume podcasts.

Who uses SoundCheck on there iPod? I do, although its only about 85% effective and I still get some variation in track volumes.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I'm working on a lawsuit to hold auto manufacturers responsible for all accidents where at least one of the vehicles was traveling significantly above the speed limit. I mean really, if the car couldn't be driven that fast, and with just the twitch of your foot, mind you, how many lives could have been saved, and traffic tickets avoided? Who's with me?

I'm also working on a suit to hold all manufactures of stairs responsible, cause those things are dangerous!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm going to sue light bulb manufacturers because when I accidentally look into one when turning it on, it really blinds me! A lifetime of that could mess up my vision forever.

Seriously, though: Whenever I start playing a song on my iPod, I use the brief moment before the songs starts to crank the volume down so it doesn't blast me. That, or I could just play and pause the song, turn it down, and then unpause.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    When you puncture your ear drum, there is not usually blood. you would have to damage something other than your eardrum for blood to come out.

I should know, no blood either time! But pain, yes, but not that much. More of a discomfort.

tak1108 - q-tip tester
  • Reply 29 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Does this somehow set an estimated dB rating? Otherwise, it's not as useful as it should be, but you'd have to have a way to input the headphone's volume per volt rating. This is assuming your headphones have such a rating, but most have such a rating. There are issues with that idea, unless you can also input the rated impedance, it might be not so accurate.

I don't like how people are making a big fuss over earbuds, I don't see how they are more damaging than regular headphones unless they are more efficient on output per volt.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    I'm glad that a new iPod updater is out, I guess it's a good thing that there is a lot of time between them now meaning that there are not that many bugs left to squash.

It's just sad that Apple has to waste their time and creative energy to make a peice of software just to get the suits to shut up. And if these people are so stupid that they can't be trusted with volume control then they'll find a way around that too.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."

Sure I've done that myself on occasion, and it's about as simple a mistake as accidently putting the shifter in the wrong gear, but if I'm tearing my earbuds out and cursing them I've no one to blame but myself.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommyt74

How can the guy, prove that it was his iPod that caused his earring loss?

what?

huh?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    does anyone know if this update fixes the problems with the 1.1 software version breaking video playback (audio cutting out after 30 seconds)?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

what?

huh?

Yep, my reply to that was in jest though I don't think he got it.