Victim of Internet Fraud - What am I missing?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all, I use a mac, both at home and at work. Recently someone used my debit card to order a pile of iPods from Apple, 800ukp worth . I just want to know if there's some sort of keyloggger scanner or something I can run on my machines on the off chance that's how my details were compromised? To be honest, I can't figure out how they've done it. They must've had all the information from my card including the ccv code, my home address (billing address) and my full name. fwiw, Apple have been fantastic and are refunding the money to my card. They cancelled the order so the scammer hasn't received anything and they have a shipping address for him in London. Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Danny

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a Key-logger would have needed to be set up PRIOR to the offense ... so you won't be able to get any "evidence" on THAT incident.

You could install one now though, and see if someone is still accessing your computer maliciously.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by hitby

Hi all, I use a mac, both at home and at work. Recently someone used my debit card to order a pile of iPods from Apple, 800ukp worth . Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Danny

You're not alone - and it's probably not on your end - several debit card users in the UK have been hit.

See:

http://software.silicon.com/security...9157381,00.htm

silicon also had a UK-specific story but I couldn't find it in a quick search.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    Yes, I know a keylogger would have to have been installed previously. That's why I asked about a keylog scanner. Actually I can see the confusion. I meant a scanner for my computer to FIND a keylogger or similar, not to actually log keys

Dan
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by techound1

You're not alone - and it's probably not on your end - several debit card users in the UK have been hit.

See:

http://software.silicon.com/security...9157381,00.htm

silicon also had a UK-specific story but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    De nada!

They have a nice batch of UK-based IT newsletters, which are tounge-in-cheek. I recommend subscribing if your email box isn't already bursting!