Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Cory, just out of curiosity, if such a laptop proved to be a small form factor Macbook Pro (like a 12" powerbook replacement) would that serve your needs?

Currently, no. You have to pay $1,999 to get a laptop from Apple that has a screen resolution better than 1024x768. Which is also absurd. But if this 13" 1280x800 screen the rumors claim the iBook replacement will have come true, then I expect the 12" PowerBook G4's replacement will also get this screen.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

I was hoping so, yes. I spoke with an Apple rep shortly after the Mac Mini was released and asked if Motion would be supported by Intel Integrated Graphics once it went Universal. He said that while they didn't know for sure yet, it looked promsing considering it supported Core Graphics. Now we know it doesn't. I could honestly care less if the Mac Mini can run it, but most people agree the iBook-replacement will house the same Intel-Integrated Graphics. I'm planning to pick up a portable as a secondary machine this year, and don't want to spend $2,000 just so Motion can be installed. But a laptop that can't understand all the file types that my main system can won't do me much good. I'm rooting for a portable from Apple in the $1,499 range that is supported by Motion. I don't think that's too much ot ask.

Believe me, I'm no apologist when it comes to Apple. It really irritates me when they prevent you from installing a $79 consumer app (iPhoto 6) on a 3-year old G3 iBook that's perfectly capable of running it.

But it blows me away when people paying $500 for Aperture or $1300 for FCP Suite complain that their software doesn't run on cheap consumer iBooks or Mac minis.

Do you expect to buy a 4-horse trailer and then complain that Subaru doesn't offer a 400-hp diesel engine in a subcompact Forester?
  • Reply 83 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Believe me, I'm no apologist when it comes to Apple. It really irritates me when they prevent you from installing a $79 consumer app (iPhoto 6) on a 3-year old G3 iBook that's perfectly capable of running it.

But it blows me away when people paying $500 for Aperture or $1300 for FCP Suite complain that their software doesn't run on cheap consumer iBooks or Mac minis.

Do you expect to buy a 4-horse trailer and then complain that Subaru doesn't offer a 400-hp diesel engine in a subcompact Forester?

Believe me, I would never even think of purchasing a Mac Mini or iBook for my main workhorse for professional work. But the need for portability is coming up more often for me, and it would be nice to have a portable when I need it. I'm not interested however in spending $2,000 for my secondary machine, which will sit in a bag half the time. Like I said, I don't expect to run Motion on a $999 iBook, but I would hope it can be installed on a laptop in the $1499 range.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

On my 400 MHz G4 (Yikes), iPhoto 6 is definitely slower than iPhoto 5. I think Apple optimized iPhoto for more current machines, like the later G4s (7550?) and G5. Stick with iPhoto 5, I wish I did.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX

On my 400 MHz G4 (Yikes), iPhoto 6 is definitely slower than iPhoto 5. I think Apple optimized iPhoto for more current machines, like the later G4s (7550?) and G5. Stick with iPhoto 5, I wish I did.

Well, it's an 800 MHz G3 with only a few hundred photos. I don't have a 10,000 photo library or anything. I'm using it just the way it was designed--a low-volume consumer app on consumer hardware. Why shouldn't it work?
  • Reply 86 of 88
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Currently, no. You have to pay $1,999 to get a laptop from Apple that has a screen resolution better than 1024x768. Which is also absurd. But if this 13" 1280x800 screen the rumors claim the iBook replacement will have come true, then I expect the 12" PowerBook G4's replacement will also get this screen.

So that's the thing. The 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 64MB DDR memory PPC laptop is $1499. We still don't know what Apple's plans are for the 12"/13" Macbook Pro. You could get lucky and and for $1499 get a Intel Core Duo GeForce Go6200 64mb with aforementioned 1280x800 screen. That's 720p HDTV support and your Final Cut Studio, to go.

Now would this meet your portable needs ??
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Now would this meet your portable needs ??

Abso-freakin'-lutely. That sounds like a great machine right there. Whether or not I add a laptop to my aresenal this year teeters on the addition of a machine around $1,500 with a real graphics card and a usuable screen resolution. If such a machine doesn't come to be, then no laptop for me. I can't justify spending $2k for the convenience of added portability.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Imagine if they pumped in this baby into such a laptop (not bloody gonna happen but we can dream can't we? ) ... from the acclaimed nVidia 7series GPUs http://www.nvidia.com/page/go_7600.html