Adobe Universal Binaries on the Way

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Unless Microsoft decides to offer Mac versions of their graphics packages, they won't seriously hurt Adobe.

Corel, on the other hand, will seriously regret its decision to become a Windows-only vendor.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

What's Adobe going to do? pull products from the Mac? Bahahahaa! Not a chance. Blue birds will be tweating in hell before that happens.

Premiere, anyone ?
  • Reply 63 of 67
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Premiere, anyone ?

Yeah, sure - they're gonna pull products if they sell ZERO copies of something. But no way can they afford to pull a product out of spite, or as a competitive tactic.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Premiere, anyone ?

Premiere aint no joy to use, it is more like being hit in the face with a hammer, at least on Win XP.

It is slow, unresponsive and crash prone (at least the last version that I touched, 6.0)

If this is any indication of how it ran on the mac, then I say good riddance...Photoshop, however, is untouched in its price range for what it can do on any platform.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, sure - they're gonna pull products if they sell ZERO copies of something. But no way can they afford to pull a product out of spite, or as a competitive tactic.

Premiere had a good user base on the Mac, and it was the only midrange video-editing app the Mac had. I mean, every consumer, prosumer and even some pro's used it. Until FCP came out. Now, the speed Adobe pulled Premiere from the Mac market was remarkable. They didn't even try to compete.

So, no, they had more then zero copies sold at that time. What bothered me most was they're lack of competitiveness.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Their lack of competitiveness was probably due to the fact that they realized that Premiere is a failed product on the Macintosh platform. They saw that, and pulled out accordingly. It would have been more expensive for them to continue pushing Premiere while constantly losing marketshare to FCP. So they just dropped it. Companies drop products. They adopt to new situations (Aperture) and create new ones (LightRoom).

This isn't spite. Not everybody is Jobs.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Their lack of competitiveness was probably due to the fact that they realized that Premiere is a failed product on the Macintosh platform. They saw that, and pulled out accordingly. It would have been more expensive for them to continue pushing Premiere while constantly losing marketshare to FCP. So they just dropped it. Companies drop products. They adopt to new situations (Aperture) and create new ones (LightRoom).

This isn't spite. Not everybody is Jobs.

I'm not convinced. I still find it striking that a large company like Adobe so easely drops a program with such a large installer base. If they found it a failed product, then why did they continue it on the Windows platform (with a bigger market share, but also with more competition) ?