Google Earth on OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just DL'ed it the other day, it is very addicting! Awesome app! Has anybody else played around with it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i like it, but it's almost unusably slow on my home computer (a dual G4 with 1.5 gb of ram with DSL and a geforce4 titanium card with 128 mb video ram).

personally, i want to see what's going to come of the sketchup acquisition google made a couple weeks ago. i can imagine them doing wireframe walkthroughs of major cities aroudn the world free to your desktop (given enough time)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Google Earth runs pretty well on my G5. At first I didn't think it was all that, but once you turn on the 3D features and get the SF cityscape going its pretty cool.

Overall though the interface needs some love.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Google Earth runs pretty well on my G5. At first I didn't think it was all that, but once you turn on the 3D features and get the SF cityscape going its pretty cool.

Overall though the interface needs some love.

yeah, it runs fine on my dual G5 at work, too. i guess i just don't get why it's so slow on my home setup. and yes, the interface... egad. it's like they accidentally got the user interface guidelines of mac ox 10.0 instead of 10.4
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wow, rok...

it runs fine on my G4 pBook (1.5 w/ 512MB). Something on your dual G4 setup must be choking it... it should be useable on that!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    It runs good on my dual core G5 2.3, 4GB , 7800GT
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Yep, runs fine on my iBook, 1.2ghz with 512mb RAM.

Got to agree, such a great application , so useful and it's free!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Also runs perfect on my core duo 20" imac under rosetta.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I have no problem using it on my 933MHz iBook G4 with 640MB RAM. The only problem I have is where I am living has not been mapped so I am not able to get a bird's eye view of my "domain"
  • Reply 9 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And this is a great thread to remind people of this

<---
  • Reply 10 of 10
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    You think this interface is bad? How many people saw the interface of the leaked version. It was terrible!