DVD->Ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
can someone tell me how to rip dvd's and get them on my iPod. I am running 10.4.4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hxc04

can someone tell me how to rip dvd's and get them on my iPod. I am running 10.4.4

A little google search for "dvd rip to ipod" reveals...

How to Rip DVD Movies to Your iPod Using Free Software.

Handbrake is good stuff and should handle all your ripping needs. The key is output format to make it iPod ready.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    ive been trying handbrake for a while now and it just won't seem to work. it rips just fine, but when I try to load it from iTunes to my iPod, iTunes freezes up. every stinkin time. Any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asaph

ive been trying handbrake for a while now and it just won't seem to work. it rips just fine, but when I try to load it from iTunes to my iPod, iTunes freezes up. every stinkin time. Any ideas?

I didn't rip in a while but when it's finished make sure you drag it to iTunes Library, not videos!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

A little google search for "dvd rip to ipod" reveals...

How to Rip DVD Movies to Your iPod Using Free Software.

Handbrake is good stuff and should handle all your ripping needs. The key is output format to make it iPod ready.

I can confirm that the linked tutorial is very good and it works. I used it verbatim and it made a great movie
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I did a test rip of my copy of Fellowship of the RIng using Handbrake and it worked like gangbusters. Color me impressed! I don't have a video iPod, but it plays nicely on my comp.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    So, have you guys been doing two-pass encoding? I've found that its generally worth it.

When encoding DVDs I usually compress them down to fit on a CD using H264. Haven't done it in a while though. Last time was when I was flying internationally and I wanted to watch some flicks without bringing the discs to Europe and back. Still have to fight with the PowerBook's battery though.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

So, have you guys been doing two-pass encoding? I've found that its generally worth it.

When encoding DVDs I usually compress them down to fit on a CD using H264. Haven't done it in a while though. Last time was when I was flying internationally and I wanted to watch some flicks without bringing the discs to Europe and back. Still have to fight with the PowerBook's battery though.

I use the 2-pass when i am leaving the DVD overnight to rip where i do not need to use the computer as soon as possible. When i am trying to get the video ASAP, i rip it as fast as possible
  • Reply 8 of 11
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    for some reason the video would only upload if i placed it into a new playlist. but it works now... I hate solutions that work but I have no idea why.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I use the 2-pass when i am leaving the DVD overnight to rip where i do not need to use the computer as soon as possible. When i am trying to get the video ASAP, i rip it as fast as possible

Jwink3101, what Mac do you have? I don't think Handbrake takes full advantage of my Dual G5, but if I was ripping straight from DVD I'm sure my system would remain usable. Usually though I RIP the raw data off the disc first and then encode it from the HD, similar to the process I used for iTunes when benchmarking encoding speeds.

So I guess that would technically be a 3 pass encoding, one to rip from DVD and two for encoding.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Jwink3101, what Mac do you have? I don't think Handbrake takes full advantage of my Dual G5, but if I was ripping straight from DVD I'm sure my system would remain usable. Usually though I RIP the raw data off the disc first and then encode it from the HD, similar to the process I used for iTunes when benchmarking encoding speeds.

So I guess that would technically be a 3 pass encoding, one to rip from DVD and two for encoding.

It isn't that the system is unusable. Rather it is very slow and sluggish. Also, it is a laptop so i am frequently sleeping it. Lastly, it pushed the fans to full blast so in order to keep the machine cool. i like to put it on a fanned cooling pad which keeps the internal fans running lower (once the internal fans are maxed out, i do not know if the system can remove the heat it needs to remove. I know it is designed for its own abilities but the heat reduced battery life and increases general wear and tear of the components)

Anyway, I have a 12" PB G4 1 MHz with 768 ram (DVI & USB 2.0 version)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Just did one pass on a DVD 177mins. (hand...) New intel 1.83

Start to finish under 45 mins. Pretty quick! When it comes to stuff like this, the core duo walks over the G5, way faster!