NFL in talks with Apple, others over net licensing deal

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The National Football League is renegotiating its Internet licensing deal which expires in May and is said to be talking to Apple and other major tech firms as it wages how much money its powerful brand is worth in cyberspace.

"We're talking to a number of companies," an NFL spokesman, Brian McCarthy, told the Chicago Tribune. "It's wide open. We haven't made any decisions yet."

Those companies include technology giants Apple Computer Inc., Google Inc., Microsoft Corp., Sony Corp., Yahoo Inc.and possibly others not considered media players in 2001.

McCarthy also left open the possibility the league would take some elements of its online content in-house.

The NFL's current five-year, $300 million Internet contract is largely with CBS Corp.'s CBS SportsLine.com, which manages the NFL.com site, and, to a lesser degree, Time Warner's AOL unit, the Tribune reported. Its new new deal is likely will be worth "hundreds of millions of dollars more."

Speculation is that the league could choose a model similar to the one CBS announced with Apple's iTunes days before the NCAA men's tournament, which allows users to download commercial-free, condensed versions of the games the day after they are broadcast on TV.

McCarthy said there "could be something with Apple" to resell games on iTunes after they are played.

Apple reportedly declined to comment about the NFL talks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I have my doubts about apple gaining favor with the NFL, as the NFL truly enjoys squeezing every last dollar out of people.

For instance, online radio broadcasts of NFL games. You can't buy access to just one team, you have buy it for EVERY team. And it costs (I'm going be recall so I may be off) $30 a month.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Go Redskins!

Apple better increase the resolution for me to use their service. Give me HD quality downloadable 2 hours after the game and I would seriously consider cancelling cable since 95% of what I watch is sports stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    I'd like to see downloads available the same day, not the next as the excitement to see a game the day after it's played would be much lower.

I doubt this would be possible as the NFL probably and NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV have some agreement to prevent another outlet to broadcast games the same day.

If such an agreement doesn't exist, an online distribution agreement between Apple and NFL could be very lucrative for both Apple and the NFL.

The internet and a user's option to view what they want when they want is changing the rules of media distribution and Apple is leading the way thanks to iTunes and the iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

I'd like to see downloads available the same day, not the next as the excitement to see a game the day after it's played would be much lower.

I agree with this. Plus, you'd have to avoid all media and human contact for the entire day as not to have the end result spoiled for you ahead of time.

-K
  • Reply 5 of 24
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    YES YES YES!!!! I am moving to the heart of Packer country in a few months and I won't be able to afford Direct Ticket to watch my beloved Vikings. I would love to see a condensed version of each game available for $1.99 every monday.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    It would be really cool if you could do a season pass and choose only the team that you liked to follow. So I pay $20 for the season and get condensed versions of all of the Bengals games automaticly downloaded for me.

Also as a side note. Has anyone purchased the NCAA games? How condensed are they? Apple could condense a NFL game down to 60 min and still not lose any actual footbal play time. Also just cutting out the commercials would condence it down greatly.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 7 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Go Apple!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I don't listen to abridged audio books and I won't watch a condensed sports event. That is a little like purchasing a condensed movie. You only get the good parts. I don't need someone else to decide what the good parts are. Sports is about more than highlights. It is about the battle. It is about a runner hitting the line and getting stuffed for no gain 19 out of 20 times. It is about the character and fortitude that compels him to hit the line yet again with all the confidence that this time will be the time. Will he get stuffed again or will he break it for a big gain? If you don't love the 19 unsuccessful runs, the errant or dropped passes, the stupid penalties, the bad calls, the muddy patch of turf stuck in some lineman's ear hole, the idiot in the crowd not wearing a shirt in the middle of the frozen tundra, and all the rest of what goes on between the highlight plays, then you don't really like football and you don't really like sports. Once Apple wraps their mind around that reality, then iTunes sports might be something worth considering. Till then, I'll pass.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I would be ALL over this!

Earth to Apple.... COMMENCE NEGOCIATIONS!

GO SEAHAWKS!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I don't listen to abridged audio books and I won't watch a condensed sports event. That is a little like purchasing a condensed movie. You only get the good parts. I don't need someone else to decide what the good parts are. Sports is about more than highlights. It is about the battle. It is about a runner hitting the line and getting stuffed for no gain 19 out of 20 times. It is about the character and fortitude that compels him to hit the line yet again with all the confidence that this time will be the time. Will he get stuffed again or will he break it for a big gain? If you don't love the 19 unsuccessful runs, the errant or dropped passes, the stupid penalties, the bad calls, the muddy patch of turf stuck in some lineman's ear hole, the idiot in the crowd not wearing a shirt in the middle of the frozen tundra, and all the rest of what goes on between the highlight plays, then you don't really like football and you don't really like sports. Once Apple wraps their mind around that reality, then iTunes sports might be something worth considering. Till then, I'll pass.

Agreed, i said the same things about the NCAA games.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

I doubt this would be possible as the NFL probably and NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV have some agreement to prevent another outlet to broadcast games the same day.

If such an agreement doesn't exist, an online distribution agreement between Apple and NFL could be very lucrative for both Apple and the NFL.

The internet and a user's option to view what they want when they want is changing the rules of media distribution and Apple is leading the way thanks to iTunes and the iPod.

$18 Billion in tv contracts this 2006 season : Yeah, I'd agree they have some right to exclusive live broadcast rights. Are we supposed to pity your wants of live NFL games via iTunes?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

$18 Billion in tv contracts this 2006 season : Yeah, I'd agree they have some right to exclusive live broadcast rights. Are we supposed to pity your wants of live NFL games via iTunes?

Oy, and that deal with DirecTV turly vexes me! I live in an apartment and can't get it!

I don't even have cable, but if I could get NFL sunday ticket from the cable company, I would plunk my money down with a smile.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Go Apple!

Do you get paid by the post?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I just want live game coverage that doesnt requier real player...or ass-rape directv pricing

Come on, $299 and local blackout STILL applies, throw the customers a bone here...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

YES YES YES!!!! I am moving to the heart of Packer country in a few months and I won't be able to afford Direct Ticket to watch my beloved Vikings. I would love to see a condensed version of each game available for $1.99 every monday.

Bittorrent has condenced versions of games every monday...so if ya cant buy 'em...
  • Reply 17 of 24
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Bittorrent has condenced versions of games every monday...so if ya cant buy 'em...

I just might have to do that... any suggestions on a good sports torrent search site? Tvtorrent.info doesn't seem to give much of a sports selection.

Still, I would prefer to legally buy the games since I do love the NFL and their product. It is the one major professional sport that seems to have its financial house in proper order (recent tensions with the NFLPA and the CBA notwithstanding... after all, they worked them out without a strike or lockout). I wouldn't buy MLB or NBA games regardless of how low the price is, but I would be happy to pay a small fee to be able to watch every game my favorite NFL team plays.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

I just might have to do that... any suggestions on a good sports torrent search site? Tvtorrent.info doesn't seem to give much of a sports selection.

Still, I would prefer to legally buy the games since I do love the NFL and their product. It is the one major professional sport that seems to have its financial house in proper order (recent tensions with the NFLPA and the CBA notwithstanding... after all, they worked them out without a strike or lockout). I wouldn't buy MLB or NBA games regardless of how low the price is, but I would be happy to pay a small fee to be able to watch every game my favorite NFL team plays.

That's the problem, the NFL will never let that fee be small.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I wouldn't mind the wait until, like Tuesday for the downloads just because I need a life and as a big Packer fan and default bioregional Seahawk fan, I can't afford to waste all Sunday and Monday on my TV and laptop.

It would need to be most of the plays and no commercials...heck just eliminate commercials and half-time, package NFL gameday and PrimeTime on ESPN each as "subscriptions" and choose let's say $32 for 16 regular season games, (or even $3/game) then I'd wouldn't even mind the relatively bad resolution. Man, with the ability to shuttle the video, a real fan could "study tape" just like the pro's!! This could also enable a huge new arena of sports blogs with the help of GarageBand and all. Sports is such a huge market with many ways of accessing and packaging content. And 2 years to practice until the Beijing Olympics.

I think though with sports and movies, Apple is going to have to start trying out a 2-tier system of resolutions if they want to really get the fanatics to buy in to this! What is the deal with H.245(?) anyway, wasn't it supposed to scale to all the good resolutions?

One more year...#4.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

All I will say here* is check the usual suspects, if a site has The Simpsons, Lost, or any popular tv stuff, they usually have the games, the more popular the team the better, the colts games were EASY last year, the Packers, my team, that is a differant story...sux living 40Mi from indy in NFL season

If you dont know what sites to look at to begin with, I can PM you a couple, but no garentees that they will be there in the fall, this stuff is really one week at a time.

*forum rules