Airport Express not up to snuff since the last OS update 10.4.5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Since I updated my iMac to the 10.4.5 version, I have experienced some troubles with my Airport Express. Prior to the update, I barely ever had an issues. Here are some of my troubles,

1) When booting up, the iMac automatically makes a random wireless connection. Usually to my neighbour's wireless internet, which makes me nervous.

2) While surfing the internet, all of a sudden my wireless connection would be lost. This will happen about once a night which is quite annoying. I don't believe anything is wrong with my internet. All is fine when I reset the Airport Express. But of course there's all that valuable leisure time spent re-doing another setup.

Have others experienced the same problem? Some help would be greatly appreciated. Other than this experience, I love my Mac!

Cheers,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by c2poon

1) When booting up, the iMac automatically makes a random wireless connection. Usually to my neighbour's wireless internet, which makes me nervous.

I have been having this same problem with my iBook, airport express and 10.4.5. How can I set my own network at the top of my computer's priority list?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have no problems with any of my AirPort systems and at least a dozen networks within range. However, I have a high level of security enabled on my access points and have my Macs configured to attempt to connect to my access points first. I don't think I've ever accidentally connected to a neighbor's network.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I have no problems with any of my AirPort systems and at least a dozen networks within range. However, I have a high level of security enabled on my access points and have my Macs configured to attempt to connect to my access points first. I don't think I've ever accidentally connected to a neighbor's network.

Where in my system prefs do I set up the order of preference for connections?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by c2poon

Since I updated my iMac to the 10.4.5 version, I have experienced some troubles with my Airport Express. Prior to the update, I barely ever had an issues. Here are some of my troubles,

Set it to join a specific network, namely yours.

Quote:

2) While surfing the internet, all of a sudden my wireless connection would be lost. This will happen about once a night which is quite annoying. I don't believe anything is wrong with my internet. All is fine when I reset the Airport Express. But of course there's all that valuable leisure time spent re-doing another setup.

Have others experienced the same problem? Some help would be greatly appreciated. Other than this experience, I love my Mac!

Cheers,

Try changing to a different channel. I think I read that some people solved their problem that way.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

Where in my system prefs do I set up the order of preference for connections?

system preferences -> network -> airport -> aiport tab

now just set the 'by default, join' to 'preferred networks' and drag the network you most likely want to join at the top of the list.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

system preferences -> network -> airport -> aiport tab

now just set the 'by default, join' to 'preferred networks' and drag the network you most likely want to join at the top of the list.

wow... I feel stupid now. For some reason I have never tried to change the "automatic" setting to "preferred".
  • Reply 7 of 7
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    r3dx0r... thank you for your simple instructions. I've adjusted my preferences.

lundy... and thank you for providing an answer to both my issues. In regards to changing my channels, mine is currently set as automatic. I will try changing the channels when the problem starts again... for some reason my internet has been fine tonight.

Cheers,