Tablet on April 1st?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What if Apple releases a Tablet computer/PDA on 4/1? I know that people say that a Tablet is at least a year or ywo away, but thik about it:

- Apple recently started the patent process for the touch screen tech (what started the rumors)

- Apple is basically re-designing their entire product line for the switch to Intel. It probably wouldn't be that difficult for them to create a tablet based OS while they were re-writing the programs.

- Considering that they basically modify the MacBook Pro design, they don't really have much re-designing to do.

- Knowing Apple and they way release dates spring up around them we know that the one to two year estimate can't be trusted at all and also the fact that Apple has a habit of doing things ahead of schedule, it wouldn't be that difficult to believe that we could see one sometime this year, and why not on Apple's 30th? Tell me what you guys think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    While the switch to Intel and the development of the UMPC has made the Apple Tablet cheaper to produce and thus more likely than ever, I wouldn't hold your breath for an April 1 release date...

Corey

• Reply 2 of 14
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    You are right.

Welcome.

April 1, NO.

• Reply 3 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    First I have to Applaud your threads title assignment. There are a ton of assholes in here that would use an Exclamation mark instead of a Question mark in the title a thread like this. As if it's coming.

As for a date... The First of April is on a Saturday. Apple usually releases hardware on Tuesdays, and Software on Saturdays. So I guess we could hear something on the first, but Apple historically seems to avoid the exact date of their anniversary.

With that aside I think Apples biggest products this year could be a Tablet, and a better home media device. (like an iHome) I would love it. #1) They should interact which would be the shiznit!

All I can say is I hope so on both fronts.

But originally I think the whole initial tablet thing was screwed up by the obtrusive, and unintuitive windows operating system, and it's lack of vision for the ever expansive future. It's so closed off it's hampered the system, and the minds of it's users. They can not seem to see beyond what the tablet is, and that it can be used for more later. All they see is what they did then, and maybe what they can do now. The tablet is almost a lost cause without Apple which is why I hope they make one.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Could it be a widescreen Tablet?

Quote:

An Ultra-Wide screen tablet pc is in the works

? Rob Bushway

Eric Mack has just posted that an OEM has been in contact with him about evaluating one of their new Ultra-Wide screen tablet pcs.

He is not at liberty to discuss who the OEM is at this point, but Toshiba is not one of them. In addition, Eric seemed quite surprised at the who the OEM was?.very interesting. His girls are on 24?hour Fed-Ex watch duty as he expects to get the Tablet PC any day now.

Unfortunately, Eric, I have not gotten wind from any other OEMs about a new Ultra-Wide screen tablet. I?ll Skype you later and get the inside scoop from you?

Hmmmmmmmnnnnnaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 14
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    2 tablets I predict!

Aspirin from the Apple speculation hangover I feel I will have on april 1.

CONFIRMED!!

• Reply 6 of 14
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Tablet??!?

Did someone mention an Apple tablet??!?

;^p

Quote:

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

US$666

Happy 30th Birthday Apple Computer

Mmm? Tablet?

Mmm?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Could it be a widescreen Tablet?

Hmmmmmmmnnnnnaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

V/R,

Aries 1B

That could also be very interesting to follow?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I guess I wasn't as far out as I originally though I might be..., we'll see.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Has anyone here actually used a Tablet PC? Any old-school newton/e-mate owners?

As it stands, Mac OS X could work in a tablet form factor but I think it would be somewhat disappointing. Disappointing is not what Apple needs to launch right now, so I see them waiting until the OS has better extensions for this.

The patents with selected interface elements scaling so they're easily controlled via a pen is brilliant. Furthermore, it plays right in to the calls for resolution independence so that the upscaled UI elements are high-res and not blocky.

Either way, I don't see this stuff working perfectly until Leopard is out, but that's not to say a special version of Mac OS couldn't be used that takes advantage of key Leopard features prior to the full release.

Anyhow, I doubt we'll see a Mac tablet for a while still.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I need a tablet. Disprin !
  • Reply 11 of 14
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

[B]Has anyone here actually used a Tablet PC? Any old-school newton/e-mate owners?

We just ordered two windows tablet pcs. For our purposes they look like a revelation. Haven't actually used them but were demoed by softare vendor.

I'm quite optimistic about tablet pcs. I think that although they end up in niche uses, there are lots of niches were they can be developed.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

We just ordered two windows tablet pcs. ...

Oh, you're the one!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I see a lot of promise in tablets, but like everything else Microsoft does they:

- grab onto a promising new technology

- Create lousy software

- lousy software means lousy computers

- When marketed, everyone has problems with the half-assed job (both they software and hardware)

- Tablets get a bad reputation

- Microsoft once again triumphs in screwing over a really promising technology
  • Reply 14 of 14
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Destyrabbs23

I see a lot of promise in tablets, but like everything else Microsoft does they:

- grab onto a promising new technology

- Create lousy software

- lousy software means lousy computers

- When marketed, everyone has problems with the half-assed job (both they software and hardware)

- Tablets get a bad reputation

- Microsoft once again triumphs in screwing over a really promising technology

Now THAT I would buy stock in....