Does anyone think apple might make a new stand alone drawing application??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Right before someone mentions Appleworks 6, I mean a drawing app with similar features but a bit better! Now that Apple works is gone!

I know Appleworks had other stuff too! But now all that, and more is covered in iWork '06.

I wonder will they make a simple drawing app. that we could use if we wanted to draw, one that shipped for free with new Macs!

Not a big expensive app. Just a clean straight forward drawing and painting app. "iDraw".

Imagine if I felt like drawing in the 80's on my Amiga 500 I could! (DeLux Paint)

But now I can't!

Just a thought!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Right before someone mentions Appleworks 6, I mean a drawing app with similar features but a bit better! Now that Apple works is gone!

I know Appleworks had other stuff too! But now all that, and more is covered in iWork '06.

I wonder will they make a simple drawing app. that we could use if we wanted to draw, one that shipped for free with new Macs!

Not a big expensive app. Just a clean straight forward drawing and painting app. "iDraw".

Imagine if I felt like drawing in the 80's on my Amiga 500 I could! (DeLux Paint)

But now I can't!

Just a thought!

Apple has been there, done that, if I am not mistaken it has the T-shirt. With the very first Mac, Apple bundled MacPaint and MacWrite. These two apps started it all. MacDraw was introduced later to take full advantage of vector graphics APIs in QuickDraw. Currently, Apple bundles GraphicConverter, a fantastic third-party shareware title, with some of its systems. There really is no need for Apple to do another paint app. As for drawing apps, Adobe Illustrator is available. I have been a Canvas user since 1989. There are also various shareware titles available. Sad to say, however, I currently see very little demand for traditional drawing programs. The apps developed by Apple for MacOS X tend to innovate the genre in some fashion and to meet an unserved market. Do you see anything missing from the gamut of paint and drawing apps available on the platform?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    "But...but it doessn´t say made by Apple in the info box"
  • Reply 3 of 28
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    But GraphicConverter isn't really an illustration app. Its primary purpose is to convert graphics into various formats.

There is definitely room for a consumer app in the Illustration space.

Canvas and Illustrator both have pro-level price tags, neither of which helps Apple to retain the next-generation of graphic artists on the Mac. A consumer illustration app would be directed squarely at kids both in the Home and Edu markets.

The only app presently in this space is EazyDraw, which has not made a big impression in the market, and is not bundled with the OS.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    This is just what I've been thinking for quite a while now. I have no experience of iWork as such so I can't make any direct comparisons or criticisms of the app... but what I can gather from the few posts about iWork that I've read is that it is still a 'work in progress' and hasn't got a lot of the features still available in Appleworks.

Personally I love Appleworks and would love to see a new version of it for Mactel, though this is surely not gonna happen.

An integrated Apple consumer drawing/painting app, bundled with all new Macs would be really nice Bring me back to the old glory days of MacPaint and MacWrite! Those apps are the reason I fell in love with the Mac in the first place! Ahhh... those were the days...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yea Mr. me I do see sometihng missing!

The fact of the matter is the apple computers are the best in the world!

Yet if I want to draw a picture I have to pay more money to adobe or some other software company.

Ther reason I say this is because I have alot of nieces and nephews, and sometimes there here with me and they ask me if they can draw. Of course I say "I am sorry you can't because I've the new intel apple computer, and they no longer have any drawing software in their computers". I even feel strange saying it!

I'll say this again: "In the 80's if I wanted to draw on my crappy Amiga 500 I could, buy I no longer can". I have to pay more money to do a simple drawing. We've come along way!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

The fact of the matter is the apple computers are the best in the world!

Yet if I want to draw a picture I have to pay more money to adobe or some other software company.

You want Apple to do all that work and you don't want to pay?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You want Apple to do all that work and you don't want to pay?

All that work! What the blazes are talking about! I would prefer Appleworks to nothing!

Hell I would even take that crappy paint program that came with my Amiga 500.

I'm talking about something really straight forward here.

A small painting app. Not a graphics design app!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    If you're looking for a good drawing app, I would also recommend Intaglio. It's about the same price as Eazydraw, and has some good features. It's not made by Apple, but it still works.

Intaglio
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

If you're looking for a good drawing app, I would also recommend Intaglio. It's about the same price as Eazydraw, and has some good features. It's not made by Apple, but it still works.

Intaglio

Not bad at all!

Now Apple, buy this company! Make it easier to use and more OS X like!

Problem solved. That gap is filled. One step at a time. Perfection is not far away!

Oh I really meant a painting app!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mox358mox358 Posts: 21member
    Look for a program called "ArtRage" its amazing, free, and it should do the job great. I use it on design jobs occasionally due to the quality I get out of it.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Apple used to bundle OmniGraffle with new Macs. If you're looking for a consumer-level Illustrator substitute with ease of use that makes Apple proud, look no further. It's an awesome app, and makes very pretty pictures very easily. There's no reason for Apple to step on its toes.

Edit: So there's three well-polished, easy-to-use, consumer drawing apps for the Mac now? Cool. Developers, developers, developers...
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by mox358

Look for a program called "ArtRage" its amazing, free, and it should do the job great. I use it on design jobs occasionally due to the quality I get out of it.

Not bad but it's a bit sluggish under rosetta.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    farmer2farmer2 Posts: 21member
    this one is shareware. It is pretty nice.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I still wish we had something like an MS Paint bundled. I shouldn't have to run around looking for software when i want to convert images to other formats.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

I still wish we had something like an MS Paint bundled. I shouldn't have to run around looking for software when i want to convert images to other formats.

I agree to the running around thing!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

so what's wrong with preview.app ? it exports to other formats just fine.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Apple bundles GraphicConverter with its professional computers. MS Paint is not even in the same league. GraphicConverter does exactly what you say you want. However, if you want to run around, that is your choice.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

[B]Ther reason I say this is because I have alot of nieces and nephews, and sometimes there here with me and they ask me if they can draw. Of course I say "I am sorry you can't because I've the new intel apple computer, and they no longer have any drawing software in their computers". I even feel strange saying it!

Maybe something like this would do:

http://www.macgimp.org/index.php?topic=osx86

Gimp is supposed to be the free, open source equivalent of Photoshop. In my opinion it needs a lot of improvements but it might work for you for the time being. One big issue is it gives you bitmap brushes by default so you need to make your own vector ones to be able to change brush size.

For vector based drawing, you can get inkscape:

http://www.inkscape.org/

You could get a cheap copy of Photoshop Elements off ebay or Amazon but it will always run under Rosetta.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Apple bundles GraphicConverter with its professional computers. MS Paint is not even in the same league. GraphicConverter does exactly what you say you want. However, if you want to run around, that is your choice.

I don't have a professional computer and if I need to get a professional computer in order to change graphics formats, then something's wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

I don't have a professional computer and if I need to get a professional computer in order to change graphics formats, then something's wrong.

What r3dx0r said. If all you want to do is convert formats, open the file in Preview and choose "Export..." from the file menu. If you want to do more sophisticated things, that's what the awesome universe of high-quality Mac shareware and small-house commercial software is for. Most folks consider it a GoodThing(tm) that Apple doesn't try to bundle crappy versions of everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink, and instead encourages this marvelous and unique ecosystem to thrive. There is no real counterpart on the Windows side - it either comes from Microsoft or you buy it from Adobe (or the like). It's a result of the passion and skill of small-time Mac developers, and the ease of use and free distribution of Mac development tools.