I am officially done with Safari

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All of my Mac web browser wet dreams have finally come true (plus more). I'm officially switchig to shiira.

I'm even going so far as to take the Safari icon out of my Dock. Good bye Safari, I'll miss you but you just haven't made the cut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Any reasons why?

I thought Shiira used safari's web engine?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    It does but it has so many other features built in that are great! Moveable tabs, ability to switch between brushed metal and variations of Aqua, a side bar for bookmarks and downloads, more than just google in the search field, the little button at the top right hand corner that gets rid of everything to have pretty much full screen browsing, tab Expose!?!?! And a bunch of tiny little things that just make it more customizable. It goes on and on.

I'm gushing right now I'm so happy to have found this browser! All I can say is that it's insanly great!
  • Reply 3 of 51
    I jsut keep finding more and more features! I can set it so when I close a tab, it goes to the last selected tab OR the tab to the right. This is great, I've always wanted this but Safari has never delivered (except maybe, possibly in an obscure add on which may or may not be free).
  • Reply 4 of 51
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    shiira seems like a really nice browser with some great features. if only the toolbar buttons weren't so ugly.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    and a bit more stable...
  • Reply 6 of 51
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Shiira does have some innovative features. But, sadly, it lacks Safari's elegance.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    There are a lot of different toolbar buttons to choose from. You can even make you're own.

I've actually always felt that the Safari toolbar buttons were kinda ugly. I like some of the ones that come with Shiira (although I agree that some are butt ugly).
  • Reply 8 of 51
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    SafariStand (free) gives some of these features you've mentioned into Safari, try that out. Also has a flashblock-like ability.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    I was already running Safari Stand. it gave me a couple other features but not all of them like Shiira does.

Apple is going to have to make some huge changes to Safari if they want me back.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Shiira crashes too much for me. I would just go here to get some Safari mods:

http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/

I use Taboo to give me a warning when closing multiple tabs. I'm going to try safari block too.

As for the brushed metal, you can always get the unifier app on that site or my personal preference uno:

http://gui.interacto.net/

That will take brushed metal from your system as well as the daft pinstripes. You can also use an app called Iridium but it needs 10.4.5 installed.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Shiira hasn't crashed yet for me.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Have you tried Firefox? Most/all the features you mention are included and there are tons of themes and plugins and extensions that you can get to go along with it.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Have you tried Firefox? Most/all the features you mention are included and there are tons of themes and plugins and extensions that you can get to go along with it.

and fasterfox extention makes the thing render everything as fast or faster than any windows box I have ever used
  • Reply 14 of 51
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

On Windows Firefox is a great browser. But on the Mac... It simply lacks that Macintosh feeling...
  • Reply 15 of 51
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Camino. Try Camino (though Shiira is nice too).
  • Reply 16 of 51
    I have pretty much every browser made for the Mac on my computer. Firefox is good but I don't feel like downloading all the plugins to make it great and, as someone stated above, it doesn't have the Mac feel (I also find it slower than Safari). Camino is ok but I had some problems with it and don't like how it looks either (too much empty space).

Sorry, I'm sticking with Shiia. Why is everyone so upset about this?
  • Reply 17 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Camino. Try Camino (though Shiira is nice too).

I like Camino for it's simplicity, but nothing beats Opera. In my opinion it's the fastest most stable browser out there. I'm not a big Safari fan for it's instability and memory hog issues.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

Why is everyone so upset about this?

Fan-boy love for (Apple) Safari, no biggy. It's hard to criticize anything Apple related here without getting the "no way are you crazy" rebuttal. Between you and me I don't use any (i)software from Apple because they lack in features. Except for iSync, I need it for my Nokia 9500.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Fan-boy love for (Apple) Safari, no biggy. It's hard to criticize anything Apple related here without getting the "no way are you crazy" rebuttal. Between you and me I don't use any (i)software from Apple because they lack in features. Except for iSync, I need it for my Nokia 9500.

I could understand this if everyone didn't want me to leave Safari but there seems to be an "anything but Shiira" thing going on.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    It's pure fanboism. Ignore it. I like Shiira and use it ocassionally. My main browser is Camino, followed by Firefox. I have Camino set to identify as Firefox so it works with almost all pages that require Firefox in one way or another.

Safari may be more frequently used when it's ad-blocking doesn't suck compared to AdBlock and/or CamiTools.