Noise from MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So i guess I wasn't that lucky unless i am just freaking out.

There is noise coming from pb like a very very quiet dot matrix printer from around F4-F9 key area. I heard there were fixes for this. Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    google this: macbook noise

Lot's of people are complaining but I don't know how terrible it is.

My macbook is coming next tuesday so I'll have my ear next to it to test it out.

I think u can eleminate the noise by keeping the processors busy, which is lame.

Also shutting down one core or switching on the isight could eleminate the noise.

I guess it's normal for a machine to produce noises, it all depends how loud the noise is.

If it's too loud it's going back to apple since I'm a audio professional.

Anyway, if it's very very quiet, what's the problem?

Hope this helps...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    My MBP, just arrived, has the noise. It's annoying, but easy to get rid of. It's apparently caused by a voltage change as the second processor goes into deep sleep. So if you use just enough CPU to keep it out of sleep, no noise. Red Sweater wrote a little program that uses the minimum necceasry CPU, about 8% (out of 200%), and does it at the lowest possible priority, so that it never gets in the way of your other programs. You can drop the program into your startup items. Works like a charm. It will affect your battery life slightly, but if battery life is critical, you can always turn off the second processor. That will both save battery and kill the noise. You need to install Apple's "CHUD Tools" from the OS X install disks, but then you can have a processor-toggle menu on the menu bar to easily turn the second processor on and off.

I'd rather the noise didn't exist, but given that it's not really Apple's fault - many recent CPUs give off a similar noise, including my desktop AthlonXP - these two simple work-arounds seem reasonable to me.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    caboosecaboose Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

My MBP, just arrived, has the noise. It's annoying, but easy to get rid of. It's apparently caused by a voltage change as the second processor goes into deep sleep. So if you use just enough CPU to keep it out of sleep, no noise. Red Sweater wrote a little program that uses the minimum necceasry CPU, about 8% (out of 200%), and does it at the lowest possible priority, so that it never gets in the way of your other programs. You can drop the program into your startup items. Works like a charm. It will affect your battery life slightly, but if battery life is critical, you can always turn off the second processor. That will both save battery and kill the noise. You need to install Apple's "CHUD Tools" from the OS X install disks, but then you can have a processor-toggle menu on the menu bar to easily turn the second processor on and off.

I'd rather the noise didn't exist, but given that it's not really Apple's fault - many recent CPUs give off a similar noise, including my desktop AthlonXP - these two simple work-arounds seem reasonable to me.

On my MacBook Pro, turning off the second cpu actually makes battery life 20-30 minutes shorter!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Caboose

On my MacBook Pro, turning off the second cpu actually makes battery life 20-30 minutes shorter!

Whoa. I haven't tested this yet, but now I will. Odd.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Very weird indeed...

Sure you turned off one core?

Or did u run that program that keeps the second core busy?

U're saying that more cores=less battery consumption...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    caboosecaboose Posts: 15member
    I heard its because the cpu is designed to be more efficient with 2 cores

1 core stops the whine and the battery time drops 20-30 minutes, at least for everyone I know that has tried it
  • Reply 7 of 9
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Received my macbook.

No noise but it get's pretty warm where the left speaker is located.

I also feel a bit of electricity when going over the macbook with the top of my hand, but this could be because i'm using an unearthed power socket.

It's definately not noisier than my Ti powerbook.

Maybe it's due to the 10.4.6 update...

Back to work now....
  • Reply 8 of 9
    n2o2n2o2 Posts: 8member
    Download and run MagicNoiseKiller: http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/down...oiseKiller.zip

Works great for me!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by n2o2

Download and run MagicNoiseKiller: http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/down...oiseKiller.zip

Works great for me!!

10.4.6 kills MNK program. You cannot run it.