iPod with Aluminum Finish

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has made a fake picture of the new iPod Video with an Aluminum finish, or if anyone would take the time to make one.

I ask this because with every new iPod release, I pray that Apple will finally give it an Aluminum finish, so it can match the MacBook Pro and PowerMac G5.

Do you guys think there is any chance of Apple making this finish, and please don't recommend I get one of those rubbish 3rd party cases, they ruine the whole look of the gadget.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    The iPod is iconic in it's white (and somewhat the black) colour.

It is also not a PRO product so will not be Brushed.

It is plastic becuase it is consumer targeted.. iMac, iBook etc

J.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    appelappel Posts: 69member
    Yeah, I forgot to add that maybe a bigger HD size iPod, or one with more features, could be sold, and then have an Aluminum case.

I just hope Apple finishes at least some kind of special edition iPod in Aluminum.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

The iPod is iconic in it's white (and somewhat the black) colour.

J.

PROPOD!!

• Reply 4 of 16
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

iPod is a separate product line. It will follow whatever design rules they feel suits that product line and its target customers. If the customers want brushed aluminum...that's what Apple will do.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

iPod is a separate product line. It will follow whatever design rules they feel suits that product line and its target customers. If the customers want brushed aluminum...that's what Apple will do.

Do you think so ?

I can't think of a single example where Apple has let it's products be dictated by consumers. That is part of apples genius "It works the way it works" just look at the shuffle as prime example.

Take the lack of imput ability on the iPod. Everyone would like to be able to edit song info on the iPod or add notes/contacts etc (what is a better time to do this then when you are sitting listening to music when travelling) but becuase apple haven't yet come up with a simple elegant way of allowing this it can't be done. If you want to change song info it has to be done in iTunes.

This isn't a lost feature it's just the way it is.

If Apple start changing the iPod every time the users demand you end up with the creative zen range. (or the windows iPod parady)

Apple tell people what they want not the other way around or we would all have iPhones, iTables and iPda's.

There wasn't a real market for mp3 plaers untill apple showed us all what thay should be like.

j.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I just the white look is tired, I know it's iconic and all, but why do so many people buy cases etc.

If we wanted white and no other colour, about 1000 matches for "ipod case" wouldn't come up on eBay.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    True about the cases but it's all about product recognition, that's why black iPods come with white earbuds.

Apple saw that it worked with the g3 and imac (bondi blue). iPod/iMac/iBook white is just a way of setting apple products aside in the marketplace (consumer not pro). iPods have a shiny back for the simple reason you pick up the iPod and think gee that is a pretty bit of kit then you turn it over and think OHH i so want one now. It's just cool no other reason. I like to think of it as the magpie effect "shiny thing must have".

I can't see apple changing thaat in the short to med term it's all about brand recognition. If someone on the OC is listening usuing white earphones everyone knows they have the latest trendy iPod or if they are typing on a white laptop it's a cool apple etc.

Having said that I will of corse be proved wrong at the next product release :-)

j.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Do you think so ?

I can't think of a single example where Apple has let it's products be dictated by consumers. That is part of apples genius "It works the way it works" just look at the shuffle as prime example.

My point was about the brushed aluminum being "pro" vs. "consumer".

That is the case for one of their product lines (Mac)...but their other product line (iPod) is independent and won't need any such excuse ("pro") to go aluminum. For example...we currently have black iPods, but (at this point) not a black Mac in sight.

Quote:

Apple tell people what they want not the other way around or we would all have iPhones, iTables and iPda's.

Generally when a company "tell(s) people what they want not the other way around" they fail in the market.

It may appear that this is what Apple is doing, but I suggest a simpler and far less arrogant explanation: Apple has discovered what consumers really want and delivered it very well.

P.S. Apple has done a decent job of "telling" customers that it is "hip" to have an iPod. This marketing message helps. But it would be short-lived if the product wasn't really what customers desire or need.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Aw well, looks like a small letter to Apple is in the works, with the same question. Although, I could probably write my own reply, WE DON'T KNOW
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Generally when a company "tell(s) people what they want not the other way around" they fail in the market.

Chris

Is that not why Apple spent so many years in the wildernes ? Look at what happened with the newton. Apple made a PDA that was about 10 years ahead of it's time.

If the newton was released today (with relative speed/capacity upgraes) rather than then do you think it would still fail or would it be the next big thing ?

I don't know but like the iPod has done It shaped (at least in consumers minds) what is expected from that kind of device.

The pro/consumer thing with the brushed metal that's down to Steve, I don't know what they would do with a pro iPod. I have seen instructions someware tho on how to brush it yourself using sandpaper.. the results looked good.

j.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I have no idea how you can brush a plastic case.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Looks like you'll just have to be satisfied with using an old silver mini with your mbp and pm and upgrading the hard drive.

The idea of a white and grey isn't bad though makes more sense than black and white since all the apple shit is known to match.

It wouldn't need to be really metal just need to the same shade.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Hmm, I would rather it was actually Alluminum.

In case you can't picture it, I want this:

http://www.billnoll.com/g5/images/010.jpg

That metal on the top of the unit, to be the casing on the iPod. I don't think it's much to ask from Apple, maybe they will do a ProPod, with a keyboard add on or something, then you could make some quick memos with a basic text app.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Take the lack of imput ability on the iPod. Everyone would like to be able to edit song info on the iPod or add notes/contacts etc (what is a better time to do this then when you are sitting listening to music when travelling) but becuase apple haven't yet come up with a simple elegant way of allowing this it can't be done. If you want to change song info it has to be done in iTunes.

This isn't a lost feature it's just the way it is.

I don't think there is a good way to input text on a portable audio player, short of a stylus system like a PDA where you can grafiti or peck out a vitual keyboard, or use a small real keyboard. The scroll wheel can do it better than I've seen with entering text on a Dell player, but it would still be so irritatingly slow that it isn't worth doing, IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by appel

I have no idea how you can brush a plastic case.

I can do it by hand with fine grit sandpaper and smooth, even strokes. That's pretty much the same technique I use for stainless steel and aluminum, though I use a polish belt too. The plastic won't suddenly change color to gray or silver though.

I think it would be a nifty idea. The iPod mini was reputed to be durable and scratch resistant.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Yeah, and it ads a new looks to the iPod range, I mean, how long can Apple keep it's iPod bubble if it keeps the same look.

Look what happened to the Mini here in Britain, sure it was cool, but it remained virtually unchanged for 30 years, and it died because of it.