New iBook and Mac with Windows

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, so now Apple's 30th anniversary has been and gone, what is the best guess for the launch date of the new iBook/MacBook? I've been promised one for my birthday (happened in January) and have been in eager anticipation ever since.

Also, I read ... I think in Macworld's UK edition, that Apple might be planning a windows virtual environment as an upcoming application/OS enhancement. However, as someone who would only really want Windows as a means of playing a few old, favourite games (ie. Grand Prix World) I wonder if dual booting would be better for me. I assume that any application that runs Windows will have many of the performance issues of Virtual PC running on a G5, only slightly lessened by the switch to Intel.

Is it also definite that when - when - Windows Vista comes out, we'll be able to install it on our Macs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    With a little work, it's already possible to install Windows XP on Intel-based Macs. I don't think it would be harder to install Vista on an Intel iBook (MacBook).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    But as I understand it, the hack that allows you to run XP doesn't take advantage of the system's graphics, so you can't run games. Whilst the games I wish to run are pretty old, I want to run them - with the hope of running future versions. I imagine, at present, that I'm going to have to wait for Vista
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I think the creators of the hack are currently working on graphics support.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    A "virtual enironment", or whatever you want to call it, to run Windows applications on a Mac does not neccessarely mean that there is going to be a huge performance lag now that they are running the same CPU. Remember that when IBM released OS/2 many reviews said that it ran Windows applications better than Windows did. Of course, if I remember correctly, OS/2 started development as a joint venture between Microsoft and IBM and Microsoft pulled out of the partnership in favor of developing Windows NT. I'm not a programmer, but the main thing that would need to be done would be to somehow translate the Windows API into the OS X API framework. Of course you would always be playing "catch-up" with Microsoft's updates, and there might be parts of the API that you could not get to work at all, like Direct X.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    as for the hack's graphics, they work fine and are accellerated on the mac mini, there's even a video floating around of someone playing halflife 2 on one and it looks quite good! now as for the radeon based intels, those are going to possibly need a custom video driver...so dual booting for gaming purposes is mostly still not viable for intel mac users who actually have video horsepower
  • Reply 6 of 8
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    But do we have any new information pertaining to the launch date for the iBook replacement? I know that it will have to come soon so that the EDU market can start purchasing and setting up the computers over the summer for the fall semester. I just can't wait!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Also, I understand that the Windows hack gives you a choice as to which OS you boot into at start-up. Is this done by pressing and holding a key, or do you have to choose everytime you start the machine? I only want to use Windows occasionally, so soemthing which checks everytime I switch the system on would be annoying.

Any news on the graphics card drivers for iMacs and MacBook Pros?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpw_amherst

Also, I understand that the Windows hack gives you a choice as to which OS you boot into at start-up. Is this done by pressing and holding a key, or do you have to choose everytime you start the machine? I only want to use Windows occasionally, so soemthing which checks everytime I switch the system on would be annoying.

Any news on the graphics card drivers for iMacs and MacBook Pros?

Quote:

...so dual booting for gaming purposes is mostly still not viable for intel mac users who actually have video horsepower

I am pretty sure it asks you every time you boot. I have been paying a lot of attention to this, and have been told the video is pretty decent even though they do not have the drivers sorted out. if you want more information about this, I suggest you check out their wiki .