iMovie Deinterlace

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I searched for threads discussing this issue, but could not find any. If there are existing threads covering this issue, I apologize for starting a new one in advance.

I use iMovie for all of my video needs. I have yet to upgrade to Final Cut Express, but probably will down the road when it gets the Universal treatment. The issue I have with iMovie is that I have a camcorder that shoots interlaced video. While the Sony HDRHC1 is high definition, it still shoots 1080i. Cleaner is the only program I know of that will de-interlace video, though it is far to expensive for anyone but professionals.

Why doesn't iMovie de-interlace video when more and more people use TFT, or LCD screens? The video looks horrible anytime something moves. I've written to Apple about this concern, but as usual they don't ever say anything.

Are there inexpensive programs out there that will de-interlace video so the lines don't show up when things move?

Thanks in advance for your help with this issue. I'm sure it's something many people have noticed and would like a fix for.

Sincerely,

Brian Green

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    You could try JES Interlacer . It's free and it does a fantastic job with SD video but I'm not sure if it'll work with HD. Worth a try though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quicktime Pro has a deinterlace filter, but its options are relatively limited (duplicate field or blur) and the quality is OK at best (similar to most deinterlace filters).

Your best bet is definately Compressor 2. It does a fantastic job of deinterlacing... as long as you are prepared to wait a long, long time. I usually let it go overnight.

You can get Compressor with Final Cut Studio or Final Cut Express (I think the one that comes with is 2, but Im not 100% sure).

I'm not aware of any free options that compare quality wise.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

I searched for threads discussing this issue, but could not find any. If there are existing threads covering this issue, I apologize for starting a new one in advance.

I use iMovie for all of my video needs. I have yet to upgrade to Final Cut Express, but probably will down the road when it gets the Universal treatment. The issue I have with iMovie is that I have a camcorder that shoots interlaced video. While the Sony HDRHC1 is high definition, it still shoots 1080i. Cleaner is the only program I know of that will de-interlace video, though it is far to expensive for anyone but professionals.

Why doesn't iMovie de-interlace video when more and more people use TFT, or LCD screens? The video looks horrible anytime something moves. I've written to Apple about this concern, but as usual they don't ever say anything.

Are there inexpensive programs out there that will de-interlace video so the lines don't show up when things move?

Thanks in advance for your help with this issue. I'm sure it's something many people have noticed and would like a fix for.

Sincerely,

Brian Green