Why cant iTunes make VCDs?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Granted the quality aint the best in the world, but seeing as I dont have full cable and my only access to BSG is iTunes, I must watch it on my computer. However, sitting in a wooden chair watching my screen aint that comfortable.

Given that the iTMS files are 250-350 MB, wouldnt it be sensible for the ability to make VCDs? Or DVD if you wanted to string many along.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Since you can't do this with iTunes Music Store video content, the feature won't be there for normal content so you get a consistent user experience. This differs from audio in that all content, iTunes Music Store purchases or personal RIPs can be burned to an audio CD.

Of course what Apple really wants is for you to buy an iPod or Mac mini and connect it to your TV.

Meanwhile, why VCD? Wouldn't your prefer DVD?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Perhaps it's a condition of their being able to make this commercial content available.

Or perhaps Apple's just trying to get you to buy a "spare" mini and 30" cinema display to use as an affordable TV
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Short answer: because the DRM doesn't allow it.

Long answer: since the video support was primarily added for the iTMS video items, and the contracts presumably didn't allow for DRM burning support, they didn't bother adding such support for the comparably small number of people who would add non-DRM videos to iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Why cant atleast iTunes just burn store-bought media only?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Why cant atleast iTunes just burn store-bought media only?

Legal liability related to copywrite issues.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Remember there's no official way to RIP DVDs using iTunes either, you can only download videos from the iTMS. I guess other free web downloads can be managed in your iTunes library, but we haven't even begun the wrangling to debate fair use for that kind of stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Since you can't do this with iTunes Music Store video content, the feature won't be there for normal content so you get a consistent user experience. This differs from audio in that all content, iTunes Music Store purchases or personal RIPs can be burned to an audio CD.

Of course what Apple really wants is for you to buy an iPod or Mac mini and connect it to your TV.

Meanwhile, why VCD? Wouldn't your prefer DVD?

While writable DVDs aren't that expensive, writable CDs are cheaper, and there would be little benefit to writing a quarter VGA video to a DVD. Nearly any DVD player plays VCDs too so it would be a pretty sensible thing. DVDs do offer variable bit rate encoding, something not available on VCD. The media producers not allowing a VCD burn seems to be excessive paranoia, that's begging for going P2P.