New systems and Frontrow

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do the new Intel Macs with Frontrow allow you to control DVD player with the Apple remote? For volume, the DVD menu and also skipping tracks in films?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpw_amherst

Do the new Intel Macs with Frontrow allow you to control DVD player with the Apple remote? For volume, the DVD menu and also skipping tracks in films?

Yes. All of it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Yea it's handy! Watching a DVD on an iMac is overrated though! Sure the iMac's are amazing and I love mine, but you really need at least a 26" to enjoy the movie! Hence I had to think to myself does it? Oh yea it does! However if you have a 20" that wouldn't be that bad! Or say a MacBook in the bedroom by the bed!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I agree, even with a 20" monitor I don't watch DVDs on this thing...but I DO watch a LOT of video podcasts. And another weekly thing I love to do is watch movie trailers on my iMac. Front Row is pretty cool, so simple and easy...like it should be.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I agree, even with a 20" monitor I don't watch DVDs on this thing...but I DO watch a LOT of video podcasts. And another weekly thing I love to do is watch movie trailers on my iMac. Front Row is pretty cool, so simple and easy...like it should be.

I agree with all of that! And I do alll of that!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Yea it's handy! Watching a DVD on an iMac is overrated though! Sure the iMac's are amazing and I love mine, but you really need at least a 26" to enjoy the movie! Hence I had to think to myself does it? Oh yea it does! However if you have a 20" that wouldn't be that bad! Or say a MacBook in the bedroom by the bed!

ah, i dunno. for me 20" widescreen is enough to watch tv shows i downloaded and movies and dvds. but im getting a 30" inch screen so i can entertain guests with digital entertainment.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    Have you not even read apple's website? if you know about it surley you would now that it has a dvd player. and if you cared surley you could just quickly skip over to the apple website?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

Have you not even read apple's website? if you know about it surley you would now that it has a dvd player. and if you cared surley you could just quickly skip over to the apple website?

Yes I did. But whilst it explains the way you can make use of film trailers through iTunes and downloaded shorts it doesn't expressly say that Front Row and the remote can be used for controlling the DVD player. I'm grateful to everyone's help here on this. In fact, I think its remiss of Apple not to make this functionality more prominent in their marketing. As a student one of the things I find most annoying at present is having to get up and use my mosue to change volume and pause my computer when watching films - something the new Intel maxs remove.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Yes I did. But whilst it explains the way you can make use of film trailers through iTunes and downloaded shorts it doesn't expressly say that Front Row and the remote can be used for controlling the DVD player. I'm grateful to everyone's help here on this.

Except that there is dvd functionality included... it stands to reason that... youd be abel to control it, i think most people could work that out, hence the need to not use it in their marketing. i think the work media or the picture of the little dvd is enough for most people
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Not necessarily. I've just got the new iPod Hi-fi, which I'm very happy with. However, I'd assumed - not unreasonably I feel - that you could control the iPod menu with the buttons top, left, right and bottom on the remote. However, you can't. The iPod is actually more difficult to control when lodged in the hi-fi's dock. I hope that this is something a future software update would rectify. So no, on that basis I don't think it is unreasonable to check what funtionality is included in a product when not specifically stated on Apple's website.

Besides, several other people have been good enough to reply outlining what front row does do - there was no compulsion on you to!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thats only because you were to moronic to work it out for yourself, this arguement we are having is a waste of space.

And when you try to counter someones arguement please make a relevent comment. I was talking about functionality you were talking about ease of functionality. And my friend they are completly seperate.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mac76mac76 Posts: 4member
    crampy20, if you are going to bash someone for asking a simple question, even to go so far as to call them a "moron", then you might want to consider using A SPELL CHECK PROGRAM.

It's a wonder anyone can post with people like you around here...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac76

crampy20, if you are going to bash someone for asking a simple question, even to go so far as to call them a "moron", then you might want to consider using A SPELL CHECK PROGRAM.

It's a wonder anyone can post with people like you around here...

Im sorry, maybe i dont spend caring about looking intelligent and making sure my post is correctly spelt. Intelligence isnt based through spelling, anyway ever heard of Dyslexia? Did you know that Einstein had Dyslexia? Was he stupid?

I was going to take back what i said, as i was yesterday, but hipocrits piss me off, so nice going.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

Im sorry, maybe i dont spend caring about looking intelligent and making sure my post is correctly spelt. Intelligence isnt based through spelling, anyway ever heard of Dyslexia? Did you know that Einstein had Dyslexia? Was he stupid?

I was going to take back what i said, as i was yesterday, but hipocrits piss me off, so nice going.

Dude,

On a mac, spelling is easy.

go to EDIT then scroll to SPELLING then scroll to check spelling as you type.

On a word that you don't know how to spell highlight it then control click. Safari will then give you a list of suggestions at the top of the menu.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mac76mac76 Posts: 4member
    Hypocrites piss you off?

That statement feeds directly into the point of my previous post.

If you are going to call in to question the intelligence of another forum member, then you should at the very least try to use some yourself, or refrain from posting angry ramblings.

Einstein has nothing to do with being a courteous member of the forums, helping another member out takes little time and costs you nothing.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    YAWWWN still to much effort
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Mac76 give it up, i really dont care anymore, like i said i was in a foul mood yesterday.