Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    There has been an issue that has now been confirmed (it's been reported on many sites including Apple's support discussion) dealing with a whirring noise coming from the CPU (upper left of the computer). It's very small and only evident when the CPUs are idling.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    iSync 2.2 finally supports Nokia's Series 40 phones (e.g., 6230)! Just about all the latest Motorola and Sony Ericsson phones (e.g., W600i) are supported as well.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    Perhaps the double restart has to do with Bluetooth firmware, since some Bluetooth improvements are mentioned. VERY happy about the nice, silent permissions repair. And cautiously optimistic about possible new goodies on the horizon.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoGro123

There has been an issue that has now been confirmed (it's been reported on many sites including Apple's support discussion) dealing with a whirring noise coming from the CPU (upper left of the computer). It's very small and only evident when the CPUs are idling.

Well I just installed the update (with 1 restart as well) and now that you mention it, I do hear a noise in the upper left of the computer. But it's hard for me to say if its the whirring that you're talking about, its not incredibly noticeable.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    108mb for my 1.83 iMac!

I'm not sure where this 163mb stuff is coming from!
  • Reply 26 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I really don't recommend doing this until a couple days have passed, and the news on Macfixit.com, and Macintouch.com get good feedback. most updates break something else. Let someone else be the test subject.

But, when you do, don't forget to verify your drive first, and to fix it if required. Apple does a disservice by not requiring that be done before Software Update installs the software. Particularly as they recommend doing that themselves.

Also, remember that the combined update (which WILL be larger than 100MB) is more reliable that the incremental ones. So, if you have problems after installation and pref fix, go to the site and download that, and do it again (including verifying the HD).
  • Reply 27 of 74
    hadrianhadrian Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

108mb for my 1.83 iMac!

I'm not sure where this 163mb stuff is coming from!

163mb is the size of the Intel incremental version of the update

Mac OS X Server 10.4.6 Combo [182MB]

Mac OS X Server 10.4.6 [92MB]

Mac OS X 10.4.6 for Intel [163MB]

Mac OS X 10.4.6 for PPC [65MB]

Mac OS X 10.4.6 Combo for PPC [140MB]

Mac OS X 10.4.6 Combo for Intel [191MB]
  • Reply 28 of 74
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

But, when you do, don't forget to verify your drive first, and to fix it if required. Apple does a disservice by not requiring that be done before Software Update installs the software. Particularly as they recommend doing that themselves.

Yeah seriously. Users are idiots. Hell sometimes I forget.

Software Update should just do it, in the background, and just say that's what it's doing down in the comments place. If there is an error it should bring up a dialogue saying what it is, the same one Disk Utility would give. If minor permissions were just repaired and the drive is okay, it should just proceed with updates. Actually it just occurred to me that I was just discussing permissions, which SU should also do automatically. However, you need to Repair. Perhaps they'll figure out a way around that, hopefully. So this stuff can all just be done automatically. That's where I see OS X moving. Macs compared to PCs are so maintenence free. They are the Toyotas of computers, to make a horrible car analogy.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoGro123

It's very small and only evident when the CPUs are idling.

Wrong and wrong.

ongoing Macintouch reports on faulty MBPs
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yeah seriously. Users are idiots. Hell sometimes I forget.

Software Update should just do it, in the background, and just say that's what it's doing down in the comments place. If there is an error it should bring up a dialogue saying what it is, the same one Disk Utility would give. If minor permissions were just repaired and the drive is okay, it should just proceed with updates. Actually it just occurred to me that I was just discussing permissions, which SU should also do automatically. However, you need to Repair. Perhaps they'll figure out a way around that, hopefully. So this stuff can all just be done automatically. That's where I see OS X moving. Macs compared to PCs are so maintenence free. They are the Toyotas of computers, to make a horrible car analogy.

I would love it if Apple did that. But, you can't fix a drive while it's being used. Too bad. Then the whole thing could be taken care of.

Unix is different that System 9 and earlier. There are just some things that can't be done while it's running. just getting verification to work was a milestone.

But, yes, they should at least do that. I see all the guys here who have already used update to install the incremental version. Even after all the years it's been said that that's NOT the preferred way to do it. I wonder how many of them did check or fix their drive first.

I know that in my usergroup, I constantly have to remind people of this.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Wrong and wrong.

ongoing Macintouch reports on faulty MBPs

First off, watch the attitude, this is a productive forum. Second off, how am I wrong. Are you using his post to qualify that? I read it and am confused as to how it is "wrong"? I have heard and experienced various issues with the MacBook Pro. I am not a developer so I am not claiming to have the technical diagnosis but I CAN tell you what I have noticed, read and deduced.

1. Noise and distortion from the LCD - this has been confirmed. It is an issue with the display invertor. Apple has since either fixed or reduced this issue in more recent productions. Any one experiencing this issue can have it fixed/replaced.

2. Noise from the right speaker - I don't have this issue and I have only heard of one or two complaining of it. For now, I would file this under "potential"

3. Airport noise / connectivity issue - this has also been confirmed and can be fixed with the new 10.4.6 update and/or bringing the MacBook Pro in to Apple.

4. Finally, the last issue I have heard about is the one my MacBook Pro suffers from. This is a noise originating from the left speaker grille. Apple has now cofirmed it as an issue. Spending time at the Apple discussion board, I learned this is a "CPU whine" resulting from the Intel idling. Performing a heavy activity or running PhotoBooth (unsure exactly why) can quiet the sound temporarily. It's possible the 10.4.6 update may have fixed this, I am unsure.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You raise a good point, but at least Super Duper offers to repair permissions before backup, and backing up before installing something that changes the system is a good thing.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I believe the double-restart is due to a firmware security update. It prevents booting in to single user mode when there's a firmware password.

Actually, I just read this and it looks like the security issue was for Intel Macs. So why they get a single reboot yet us PowerPC users get a dual reboot is anyone's guess.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

You raise a good point, but at least Super Duper offers to repair permissions before backup, and backing up before installing something that changes the system is a good thing.

Backing up is always a good thing. I just find that I can convince people do do the other actions, but getting them to back up?
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I believe the double-restart is due to a firmware security update. It prevents booting in to single user mode when there's a firmware password.

Actually, I just read this and it looks like the security issue was for Intel Macs. So why they get a single reboot yet us PowerPC users get a dual reboot is anyone's guess.

Possibly the difference between EFI and Open Firmware.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Daring Fireball seems to insist permission repair is unnecessary during system updates.

Wow I'm not Caucasian and don't get to see white asses to often.

Whoa do they look different.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Daring Fireball seems to insist permission repair is unnecessary during system updates.

I read that too, and I disagree with him. I've worked with and managed tons of Macs, and I can think of numerous times when repairing permissions corrected issues I was having. It's not like repairing permissions could do anything wrong, it only corrects things.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

That's probably true before running SU, unless it has any sort of dependency on permissions that might cause it to take different actions. All SU seems to care about is having administrative access before it goes on its merry way installing/updating regardless of any preexisting permissions.

Repairing permissions after SU runs might correct issues that either preexisted or were caused by SU itself.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    After this update my Mac mini no longer has a serial number in software!

I clicked on About this Mac and twice on version number and it just displays the words Serial Number nothing else. Also opened system profiler and the serial number is absent there as well! Weird

Edit: Typo - Thanks Graeme
  • Reply 40 of 74
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Unless someone beat me to it.... Obligatory "It's snappier!" post

They still havent fixed the dmproxy bug though. It happened to me once sometime after I upped to 10.4.6.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...&query=dmproxy