Recommended After Market Memory.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just bought a 17" iMac - what's the most compaitable and best memory SODIMMS I should purchase?

Please provide a link also - much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
  • Reply 2 of 24
    A 1 GB module for your iMac from there is $114.99. Yes, you could probably shave off a few bucks elsewhere, but at least there you know it's been tested and will work with your model computer.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

A 1 GB module for your iMac from there is $114.99. Yes, you could probably shave off a few bucks elsewhere, but at least there you know it's been tested and will work with your model computer.

That's where I got memory for my iMac from, and I'm quite satisfied
  • Reply 4 of 24
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The conventional wisdom is that you can't go wrong with Other World Computing (Mac Sales) or Crucial.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    finchnafinchna Posts: 17member
    I've never had a problem with Crucial--looks more expensive than what is being quoted for MacSales.

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp
  • Reply 6 of 24
    crucial.com for sure. i've had problems w/ other "cheaper" memory. Crucial RAM always works. Got a free 256MB Gizmo USB flash drive w/ my 2GB DDR2 RAM upgrade this time, too!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I had a problem with Crucial memory once. The customer service was excellent and they sent me a new stick. All I had to do was take that same box and return the bad stuff on their dime.

I always buy Crucial.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Based on advice I have seen here from time to time, I bought a 1 GB from Crucial. Works perfectly. And maybe its just my imagination but even the most mundane tasks seem a wee bit faster, even if I don't have a lot of applications open.

I hope you are still following responses to your post because I have some advice that could save you some anguish. You have to push in the RAM module pretty damn hard. True, I'm not a sophisticated user, but I have installed RAM at least twice before. Only on my fifth attempt did I work up the nerve to push hard enough. (It kept showing only 512.) You will feel it seat. ANd when I say "hard", thats relative what you force you might expect to use on such a delicate piece of electronics.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Rubber mallet always seats it first swing...!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    quentinquentin Posts: 13member
    Hi, I just got my 2.0GHZ imac on friday and I'm looking to add another 1GB stick. Is crucial the way to go for the intel macs?

I'm a switcher, btw. Other than having the router that doesn't support Airport, this thing has been a dream. I'm now connected through Airport and a Netgear router. (I had to update the filmware as it is a pretty old router)

~~Quentin
  • Reply 11 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Try http://www.macsales.com

Thanks for the advice that I never asked for! As soon as I went to this site from your link I bought straight away from them 1Gb stick of RAM for my 1.83 iMac intel! It's already installed. 2 Gb RAM now. Thanks again Mr. Hood. A bargain! Works like a charm! It's definitely noticeable. Dashborard is way faster at loading, and the iMac just feels snappier. Even starting up is noticeably quicker! If I wasn't ripping Cocoon, I'd do a restart and time it with my iPod for anyone whose curious about the New iMac's. I'll do one later and let ye know!

37 seconds.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I myself just installed the 2 Gigs I bought and I notice not much difference so far - other than I have a spare 512 laying around...

Startup does seem faster - but it was already fast to begin with!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

I myself just installed the 2 Gigs I bought and I notice not much difference so far - other than I have a spare 512 laying around...

Startup does seem faster - but it was already fast to begin with!

What about Dashboard and restart etc.?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Restart I think takes longer!

Dashboard mildly faster...
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Your speeds will increase on the stuff like DVD encoding, render times, etc. You'll also be able to have more apps open at the same time with less of a hit to performance.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Your speeds will increase on the stuff like DVD encoding, render times, etc. You'll also be able to have more apps open at the same time with less of a hit to performance.

117min film 1 pass 45mins
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I've been using the iMac all day with 2Gb and as all I do is Safari, Word, Email and iDVD - I've noticed very few differences if at all - it must help in someway but for the 300 odd dollars, I would'nt have bothered...
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

I've been using the iMac all day with 2Gb and as all I do is Safari, Word, Email and iDVD - I've noticed very few differences if at all - it must help in someway but for the 300 odd dollars, I would'nt have bothered...

Where'd you buy yours!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Other World Computing...

It was nearer 270 odd...
  • Reply 20 of 24
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I use datamem.com

OWC has had complaints about customer service in the past and bad RMA behavior.

Crucial is just too damn expensive for the name (might as well buy mushkin if you're wanting to throw money at a name).

I seriously suggest doing a complete search every time you want RAM, as companies will use price to attract customers, then raise them once they hook you.

Remember, we are talking about components made by only a handful of manufacturers.