Mp3 player Other than iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi, I am looking for an Mp3 player to be used as a jukebox for work.

It needs to be at least 4gb and I cant afford a 4gb Nano.

Does anyone make Mp3 Players which can be used with macs?

All the Mp3 players I seem to find here (New Zealand), other than iPods say they only work on windows.

Is there any hope for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    adamradamr Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigT[NZ]

Hi, I am looking for an Mp3 player to be used as a jukebox for work.

It needs to be at least 4gb and I cant afford a 4gb Nano.

Does anyone make Mp3 Players which can be used with macs?

All the Mp3 players I seem to find here (New Zealand), other than iPods say they only work on windows.

Is there any hope for me?

Thanks

Simple solution is to get a used iPod mini or an old regular iPod.

As far as non-iPod devices go, that is getting more difficult. A lot of new devices are 'Plays For Sure' devices... This is code of 'Plays never when you need it or how you want it'.

Those devices need Windows. Any older style device should be able to be used as a normal removeable drive and probably won't need special software to work.

Adamr
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    It goes without saying that music from iTMS won't work but my guess is you already knew that.

But, you have to watch out. If you have a lot of unprotected AACs (from ripping CDs or something), you need to find a player that supports them. There are a few that can do it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamr

Simple solution is to get a used iPod mini or an old regular iPod.

As far as non-iPod devices go, that is getting more difficult. A lot of new devices are 'Plays For Sure' devices... This is code of 'Plays never when you need it or how you want it'.

Those devices need Windows. Any older style device should be able to be used as a normal removeable drive and probably won't need special software to work.

Adamr

I just quickly glanced at some of the MP3 players being sold at Future Shop.

I thought that most MP3 players were flash-based and simply required a USB connection where you could drag and drop MP3 files into the player.

Some MP3 players claimed to be "drag and drop", others absolutely required Windows XP SP1.

The only thing I can assume is that this "plays for sure" standard involves getting Windows Media Player to index the files, so that it's easier to browse by artist/genre/album/etc. Still, this is total speculation.

Can somebody who knows more elaborate?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, there's this little Archos thing.

4GB, $140, specifically mentions Mac compatibility in the specs.

Does the "plays for sure" thing but that isn't a limitation of the player, it just means that it can handle MS drm'ed stuff, were you to want to put some on. Also does MP3 and WAV.

No AAC and grey scale display, but, really, most fully featured 4 gig flash based players cost as much or more than the Nano, so getting something much cheaper means getting something, well, cheaper.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My old Rio 500 still works with iTunes and MP3s, 'bout the size of an iPod mini too. However, even with my crazy memory upgrade, it'll only hold 128 MB! Amazing 2000 technology!

Why don't you just pick up a used iPod mini?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Im a bit dubious about buying a used one, because they are hdd based.

I already had my 4G iPod crap out on me
  • Reply 7 of 10
    My iPod mini is still truckin', although it hasn't got much love from me since I got a nano many months ago. In fact my mini still has some months left on its AppleCare and I'm sure there are others with the same deal.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I just quickly glanced at some of the MP3 players being sold at Future Shop.

I thought that most MP3 players were flash-based and simply required a USB connection where you could drag and drop MP3 files into the player.

I thought so too, but some seem to require connecting into Windows Media Player or some other proprietary file manager like Sony's program or MusicMatch. Finding specific info can be pretty hard.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    you could rip the songs in your itunes to CD and reimport them to have htem play on the other player..just fyi (if downloaded from itunes)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Here's a handy page that shows what players are compatible with iTunes:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548

That page used to be part of the main iTunes site, but now they're heavily pushing iPod (no surprise). Thanks wikipedia for finding the link so easily!

wikipedia: iTunes