macbook? Ibook? MacPod?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Did anyone see this reference to the iMac 30, also mentioend on TUAW.

The big question is it a 30" iMac or a 30th anniversary iMac ?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I've gotten used to MacBook Pro. Sure, I miss PowerBook as much as the next guy, but I agree that its good to have Mac in the name.

Apple's willingness to move on and put to rest, a name, an OS, a computer line, etc. is one of the way's Apple "Think's Different." It's a rare company that would put to bed a name with the brand name recognition of "Power Book."

Look at "ThinkPad," IBM has kept that one going forever. Hell, they aren't even made by IBM anymore but are still called a Think Pad.

Take note switchers: If you are resistant to change, go buy a Sony.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    appelappel Posts: 69member
    Yeah, Sony have the sweetest computers apart from Mac. So to keep some dignity, doe what Corey suggests.

Oh yeah, that was wrong taking the piss out of Ireland, I'm sure he's much smarter than America's president, I mean, I have a poster of all the dumb things hes said, and you seriously wouldn't believe it.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    I just hope that in time the new names will be recognised well. I supose with the name mac in all the titles, they are hard to miss. at least the name is better that canon cx18755439aab or wat

Quote:

Originally posted by appel

Oh yeah, that was wrong taking the piss out of Ireland, I'm sure he's much smarter than America's president, I mean, I have a poster of all the dumb things hes said, and you seriously wouldn't believe it.

do you know what j/k means? clearly not, maybe its you who i should be taking the piss out of... even though i wasnt even doing that in the first place.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    8) Sorry

Didn't notice the j/k
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

8) Sorry

Didn't notice the j/k

i was being a
  • Reply 27 of 34
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Do you mean when Intel-based Powermacs (Mac Pros) will be released? I'm guessing sometime between September and November.

WWDC in August> Supply constraints>Shipping in January.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

WWDC in August> Supply constraints>Shipping in January.

Ohhhh i dont think it would be that late. They wouldnt ship it half a year after its release. They would try and hit the commercial buying season.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Yeah, didn't they say the transition would be finished by the end of the year, and that all the noew Intel Macs would be available to buy.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Yeah, didn't they say the transition would be finished by the end of the year, and that all the noew Intel Macs would be available to buy.

Well originally it was two years after 10.4's release, but apple will defiantly try and get it done within a year. And on top of that the release cycle is 6 months thus the MacPro will be far overdue by next year.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Just a note, will MacPro keep the same look as the G5, if it isn't, prey to god Apple doesn't ruine the industrial masterpiece that it is.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    The naming seems pretty clear to me via logic.

-- iBooks --> MacBook

-- iPod stays iPod.

1) The "i" stands for Internet, vis original iMac moniker.

2) Many Windows users use iPods, not just Mac folks.

My only question is what they'll call the Intel PowerMacs. ProMac seems possible, but breaks the symmetry.

ie: Powerbook, PowerMac :: MacBook, MacMac

My thought is MacPro to go with Mac Mini.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Just a note, will MacPro keep the same look as the G5, if it isn't, prey to god Apple doesn't ruine the industrial masterpiece that it is.

I won't be surprised if they change it. The aluminum case isn't cheap and the Intels won't need it like the PowerPC's did for cooling. That said, I like the current design as well... Just needs memory card slots and more drive bays to approach perfection.

I'm guessing MacBooks mid summer at the lastest so they don't miss the back-to-school crowd and MadPro's late in the year.

Corey
  • Reply 34 of 34
    MadPro?. Ah, just kidding.

We can refer to it as both MacPro (I think that will be the final name) and ProMac at the moment, seeing as both names are just thoughts of fans, and haven't been confirmed.

It will still be Alluminum, MacBook Pro is, and that doesn't need to Alluminum either. At the end of the day, Apple can charge that little bit extra for the metal, because it's the premium Mac, and you need a bit of money to even be looking to buy one in the first place.