Austek wins order for 1.2M widescreen Apple iBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Asustek has secured a contract from Apple Computer to make an initial delivery of 1.2 million iBook notebook personal computers, the Commercial Times reported, without citing sources.

According to the report, of which the reliability is unknown, the notebooks will be powered by Intel microprocessors and be equipped with 13.3-inch display.

The report further states that Apple will not begin to sell the notebooks until June, while contract suppliers of LCD panels will start delivering the displays to Apple's manufacturing facilities in April for a product ramp.

AU Optronics Corp., Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corp., as well as South Korea's LG Philips LCD will reportedly supply the LCD panels for the new iBooks.

AU Optronics is expected to supply about 40,000-50,000 panels to Apple a month, the report added.

The Commercial Times also recently reported that Intel will cut Core Duo pricing ahead of a new 2.33GHz model in May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    No iBooks before June!!! Thats another 2 Months i have to wait!

At least the Processors will be cheaper by that time.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    I'm expecting more features if I have to wait two more months... Core Duo, DVI, gigabit ethernet, good screen.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voch

I'm expecting more features if I have to wait two more months... Core Duo, DVI, gigabit ethernet, good screen.

It's a student/or entry level laptop. Dont expect anything other than what is provided now.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It's a student/or entry level laptop. Dont expect anything other than what is provided now.

It's wishful thinking, I know. But the Intel Mac mini surprised me by having gigabit ethernet.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voch

It's wishful thinking, I know. But the Intel Mac mini surprised me by having gigabit ethernet.

The mac mini surprised me by having 4 usb ports....

2 months is a bit of time, but it doesnt really matter to much unless you think your going to die before then

The wait is worth it, besides iif you want a core duo already by an MBP i think you expect Apple to be generous
  • Reply 6 of 68
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    BINGO!

• Reply 7 of 68
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The new iBook should have DVI ports as even MacMini has one.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    I wonder if apple will ever start fitting those multi card readers that HP now fit. They would be fab if they dumped your pics str8 into iPhoto.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gremlin

I wonder if apple will ever start fitting those multi card readers that HP now fit. They would be fab if they dumped your pics str8 into iPhoto.

Please Apple, don't stick extra crap like this into my laptop. If I want to read photos off my camera on the road, that's what the supplied USB cable is for.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    I would not be surprised if the new iBook does have DVI output.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    What exactly does dvi do and who actually uses it and what for.

(i could either guess or look it up on wikipedia....)
  • Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by gremlin

If Apple starts fitting crap like this into their laptops, I won't buy them any more. Of course, if there was a single standard for flash memory, it *might* be a good idea, but unfortunately there are a gazillion standards, so they'd have to fit a bulky, ugly 5 or 8-in-1 card reader. Lots of bulk, extra weight, and ugly.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I guess the main question here is ? What happened to A.I.'s original reporting on the matter?
  • Reply 14 of 68
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

If Apple starts fitting crap like this into their laptops, I won't buy them any more. Of course, if there was a single standard for flash memory, it *might* be a good idea, but unfortunately there are a gazillion standards, so they'd have to fit a bulky, ugly 5 or 8-in-1 card reader. Lots of bulk, extra weight, and ugly.

I agree with this 100%

card readers are small and cheap, don't crap up my laptop with slots for cards I don't care about.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I would not be surprised if the new iBook does have DVI output.

I wouldn't be totally surprised either, but I think it's reasonable to expect DVI now. After all, even the iMac got a mini-DVI output jack with the Intel transition. There's not much reason to make it analog-only out of the box anymore, especially not if desktop spanning becomes an option. This is especially true with Front Row likely to be included.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Since the mini got GigE I'd expect the entire line to have GigE (10/100/1000) built-in.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    To be honest, I think that Apple will announce the new iBook replacement sooner than June. They may not ship until then, but they need to announce them and begin taking orders as soon as possible to capture sales in the education market. Thats my 2 cents.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Discover with me these important facts:

1)People who buy 12 (or 13) inch notebooks often use them for just general internet browsing and word processing and small applications.

2) Widescreens and inflated pixel resolutions do nothing to make the internet look better. They make it looks worse because everything looks "too small" as it was written for 800x600. This includes application software, plugins, and anything else involving fonts that cannot be reasonably enlarged with settings or haxies like Silk, like Entourage and Quicken, unless you think you know everything because you have tried, or without further scrambling webpages, some of which already l have Safari issues.

3) To combat the problem with all these new LCD's, Leopard should ship with the new "scaling factor" made possible with "resolution independant user interface" that can make all your windows look 25% larger so you can read them again. But mostly only Cocoa developers will take advantage of it, leaving the rest of us squinting, and no single setting that works for all of our applications.

4) Firefox is Carbon (right?) so it probably won't be scalable with the scaling factor seetings in the preference pane.

In addition, there might be some regressions or other issues using it (some stuff won't "look right" when scaling factor is enabled.)

IMO Only artists and professionals currently benefit from screens with high maximum resolutions (1600x whatever and up) and when you get one you should get a bigger one, not a 13 inch.

We should all buy 14 or 15 inch notebooks and nothing else for the next 2 years or so until it all gets sorted out and that is my opinion.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rebel_without_a_pc

1)People who buy 12 (or 13) inch notebooks often use them for just general internet browsing and word processing and small applications.

2) Widescreens and inflated pixel resolutions do nothing to make the internet look better. They make it looks worse because everything looks "too small" as it was written for 800x600. This includes application software that involve fonts that cannot be reasonably enlarged with settings or haxies like Silk, like Entourage and Quicken, unless you think you know everything because you have tried, or without further scrambling webpages, some of which already l have Safari issues.

3) To combat the problem with all these new LCD's, Leopard should ship with the new "scaling factor" made possible with "resolution independant user interface" that can make all your windows look 25% larger so you can read them again. But mostly only Cocoa developers will take advantage of it, leaving the rest of us squinting, and no single setting that works for all of our applications.

4) Firefox is Carbon (right?) so it probably won't be scalable with the scaling factor seetings in the preference pane.

In addition, there might be some regressions or other issues using it (some stuff won't "look right" when scaling factor is enabled.

IMO Only artists and professionals benefit from screens with high maximum resolutions (1600x whatever and up) and when you get one you should get a bigger one, not a 13 inch.

We should all buy 14 or 15 inch notebooks and nothing else for the next 2 years or so until it all gets sorted out and that is my opinion.

that means i'll have to spend $2.000 on a 15" macbook pro
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by rebel_without_a_pc

2) Widescreens and inflated pixel resolutions do nothing to make the internet look better. They make it looks worse because everything looks "too small" as it was written for ing else for the next 2 years or so until it all gets sort800x600. This includes application software, plugins, and anything else involving fonts that cannot be reasonably enlarged with settings or haxies like Silk, like Entourage and Quicken, unless you think you know everything because you have tried, or without further scrambling webpages, some of which already l have Safari issues.

In addition, there might be some regressions or other issues using it (some stuff won't "look right" when scaling factor is enabled.)

IMO Only artists and professionals currently benefit from screens with high maximum resolutions (1600x whatever and up) and when you get one you should get a bigger one, not a 13 inch.

We should all buy 14 or 15 inch notebooks and nothed out and that is my opinion.

how can you declare something as fact and then use the word often to describe it. This is bs. You are an idiot.