Mighty Mouse Alternative?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've gone through two of these pieces of junk so far. The scroll wheel breaks in a hurry.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative. I need something that scrolls up/down and side to side.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    footballfootball Posts: 47member
    Hmmm... I tried cleaning it which seemed to help but I'd still like an alternative if anyone has a suggestion.

Thank you
  • Reply 2 of 4
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Football

I've gone through two of these pieces of junk so far. The scroll wheel breaks in a hurry.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative. I need something that scrolls up/down and side to side.

Thank you

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other mice that have scroll balls that allow side-to-side scrolling - that's not to say they do't exist, just that after some searching on newegg.com and outpost.com I have been unable to find anything other than a generic scroll wheel.

I had the same problem with my mighty mouse scroll ball. I bought it in July and by the end of March, it was starting to not scroll up and down anymore, here's what I did to make it work again...

1) Take a moist paperl towel (not wet, you don't want water getting on the inside of the mouse...) and roll it around on the ball to see if you can lift anything from it. This worked for me the first time, but about a week later, I was stuck again and the second time, this fix didn't work, so...

2) Take a pocket knife or toothpick and gently slip it between the ball and the plastic housing (you just need the very tip in there) and then trace around the ball to lift any crap from the inside of the housing ... you'd be surprised how much you can dig out this way. Once I did this, it's worked like a charm for about 4 weeks now.

3) I think the MM has a one year warranty on it, even if you purchased it with a new computer. Try calling Apple and see if they'll replace it (if you decide to go this route, post the response they give you so others can benefit...)

That's all I can tell you for sure ... let me know how it goes...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Football

I need something that scrolls up/down and side to side.

Thank you

You can Shift/Scroll to move sideways.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Virtually every mouse Logitech makes has a "tilt wheel", i.e. a scroll wheel that can be pressed to the left or right for side to side scrolling.

Must be one in there that would work for you.