Apple's "Boot Camp" beta runs Windows XP on Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Yes, it is no april's fool

Apple just introduced a beta of "Boot Camp ", a software that allows you to run WinXP on your Mac. This seems to be the first taste of things to come in Leopard:

Quote:

Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data[...] Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

At startup, hold down the option key (alt) to choose between Mac OS X and Windows.

Run XP natively

Once you?ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (That?s the ?alt? key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

What you?ll need

* Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.6 (check Software Update)

* The latest Firmware update (check Support Downloads)

* 10GB free hard disk space

* An Intel-based Mac

* A blank recordable CD

* A printer for the instructions (You?ll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)

* A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

URL: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060405/sfw097.html?.v=45

Comments

• Reply 1 of 510
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The big question is how this software relates to open source project that was released a couple of weeks ago. I think it is the same wrapped in Apples own installer.
  • Reply 2 of 510
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Tee hee...

Quote:

EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it?ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

• Reply 3 of 510
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The big question is how this software relates to open source project that was released a couple of weeks ago. I think it is the same wrapped in Apples own installer.

I haven't looked at the license the open source solution is under - there are some licenses like the GPL that make it unlikely Apple would build upon software under them.

At any rate, Boot Camp supplies the Windows drivers that were sorely missing...
  • Reply 4 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

No I don't think so. The Apple project has certainly started last year but was not available in time for the january introduction. It is a very sensible project for Apple to gain market share both inside and outside the education segment. I don't see them wanting for someone else to develop this.

They have developed/packaged a lot of software : a legacy BIOS support in EFI, a graphical boot loader and a driver CDROM for Windows XP (with all the drivers for the Mac hardware). Apple was the best position to do this and to maintain this for all their machines.

It seems that the final version will be included in leopard.

Maybe by then, Boot Camp will be completed by a virtualization technology (I do think so).
  • Reply 5 of 510
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Sweet!!

Hopefully we won't see an os/2 effect now.
  • Reply 6 of 510
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

This seems to be the first taste of things to come in Leopard

This is what it says after you download it "Thank you for your interest in features of the next version of Mac OS X, Leopard. Don?t forget to install Apple software available for the Windows platform. (After you finish installing that is. You can't download this software to your Mac and move it to Windows.)"
  • Reply 7 of 510
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    So are we going to have to reburn our driver CD every time Apple decides to update
    • Graphics

• Networking

• Audio

• AirPort wireless

• Bluetooth

• The Eject key (on Apple keyboards)

• Brightness control for built-in displays

I like the idea, but I think Boot Camp is going to be even more than we expect, it will probably be the ground work for virtulisation that will allow Windows to run in Mac OSX.

My MBP was ordered today, I will wait and see how this whole BootCamp goes before I rush out and buy a XP installation
  • Reply 8 of 510
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Wow, I never saw this coming. Amazing. I guess it is a safe bet that Apple will have virtualization in Leopard. This may make Apple's Mac sales rocket.
  • Reply 9 of 510
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Oh, I have to say I love the BootCamp icon, it's so Apple but yet it's ripping off the Windows logo
  • Reply 10 of 510
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    It would have been fantastic if Apple had entered this in the contest.

Fascinating stuff, it means I'll now never have to buy a PC.
  • Reply 11 of 510
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Could this pre-leopard release also be inspired by the delay in the release of adobe universal apps?

Surely hardware sales of the pro intel Macs (especially future Mac Pro's) will now rise as professionals can now use the windows version of CS2.

Anyway, this sure is a gutsy move on apple's part!!
  • Reply 12 of 510
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Conventional wisdom takes another bullet. Dvorak looks a little more sane and Dell/HP/Gateway ought to be shaking in their boots. Good times.
  • Reply 13 of 510
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    AAPL up $3.71 on opening trading.

Woot!
  • Reply 14 of 510
    My new iMac just became 10% more useful!
  • Reply 15 of 510
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Windows for bread, Mac OSX for everything else!!!

Now, i am happy with MacBook Pro Price!!!

Bring it on Apple, MacBook!
  • Reply 16 of 510
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Conventional wisdom takes another bullet. Dvorak looks a little more sane and Dell/HP/Gateway ought to be shaking in their boots. Good times.

People keep forgetting that Apple is a business and Steve Jobs is a businessman. They want to sell computers. Simple as that. If in the end, it makes more sense (and becomes the only viable option) to sell computers that run Windows, they will. No question.
  • Reply 17 of 510
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Devorak said apple would drop Mac OS X and replace it with Windows!

This is just Windows as an option (notice you have to press the OPTION key, he he) if you so choose to use it, i.e. if the place you work at still lives in the dark ages, which let's face it, is possible!
  • Reply 18 of 510
    So, who's going to be the guinea pig?

Let's have a first-hand report.
  • Reply 19 of 510
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    so the question is...how long until apple adds the $129 option to have Win XP preinstalled in a partition?

Then what's next after that...an XP only Mac? Where does the madness end?

(personally I'm going nuts over this announcement, this is great!!) OS X is terrific and I'll be able to run those crappy XP apps I need too!)

Who else thinks that MacBook Pro shipping times are going to increase today from 24 hours to 7-10 days? hahaha.
  • Reply 20 of 510
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Only got two words to say (initially anyway)

Religious Shit!

Dave

P.S. Translation: Holy Crap!