Windows to Run Native on Intel Macs with Leopard.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, I am not usually a rumor guy but this was interesting. I was in our local CompUSA today and the Apple guy (works for Apple, not CompUSA) and I were talking. We got talking about how the MacBook Pro is the fastest Windows Machine out there, and I asked if he thought it would ever be officially supported. His only response (along with a grin) was "wait until Leopard. A lot of crazy things are coming."

I thought Apple was never going to support this. What do you think? Is this something apple would do? Why/Why not?

I think it might actually be a smart move to build in some kind of emulation or whatever that supports it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "What do you think?"

I think any tool who is so lame that he goes to the CompUSA to "drop hints" should be summarily shot.

So I doubt this is credible--and until virtualization takes off, I don't think Apple is going to do much for or against dual-booting Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    yeaaaah.... those Apple guys that work retail sales at CompUSA get ALL the supersecret memos from HQ about unannounced features of unreleased Apple OS software....

• Reply 3 of 16
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    It's called "Chameleon" and it's mentioned on MacRumors.com. Those guys read the same boards as we do, apparently.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 16
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"What do you think?"

I think any tool who is so lame that he goes to the CompUSA to "drop hints" should be summarily shot.

So I doubt this is credible--and until virtualization takes off, I don't think Apple is going to do much for or against dual-booting Macs.

Well, he works there... and if you're calling me a tool - well, that's not cool at all.

Quote:

yeaaaah.... those Apple guys that work retail sales at CompUSA get ALL the supersecret memos from HQ about unannounced features of unreleased Apple OS software....

I was just wondering... I didn't say that it was hugely credible, I was more wondering what you think about the possibility.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

FYI:

I was speaking with a few reps a while back about new and upcoming products. They do not know anything about new products and software with the exception of Mac OS X. Aparently OS releases are the least confidential info within the company. And this makes sense. If you are developing hardware or software for Apple you need to be able to know what you are working with. So OS an Apple rep at Comp USA probably knew exactly what he was talking about.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

It's called "Chameleon" and it's mentioned on MacRumors.com. Those guys read the same boards as we do, apparently.

--B

Macrumors took it from Macosxrumors. Now, this is Macosxrumors and NOT Macosrumors. The later is a joke; the former seems to have real sources in the development mill. At least in the past they provided accurate information in many occasions. It would be interesting to see what Appleinsider sources have to say about this.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

If you are developing hardware or software for Apple you need to be able to know what you are working with. So OS an Apple rep at Comp USA probably knew exactly what he was talking about.

Sorry, wrong again. An Apple Rep at CompUSA has nothing whatsoever to do with "developing hardware or software for Apple". They are there for one thing and one thing only - to help CompUSA move Apple products by providing product knowledge. They are not very different from employees of Apple Retail. And I can absolutely guarantee you that Apple Retail employees are not privvy to such info.

I will admit it's an interesting concept. However, I have my doubts as to whether Apple would do this, especially given previous statements that they would neither support nor prevent Windows from booting on their Intel Macs.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "I think any tool who is so lame that he goes to the CompUSA to "drop hints" should be summarily shot."

It should be obvious from context: I am talking about the person dropping the hints, not you. Read more closely in the future.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

However, I have my doubts as to whether Apple would do this, especially given previous statements that they would neither support nor prevent Windows from booting on their Intel Macs.

Eh, this was for the first batch of Intel Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Sorry, wrong again. An Apple Rep at CompUSA has nothing whatsoever to do with "developing hardware or software for Apple". They are there for one thing and one thing only - to help CompUSA move Apple products by providing product knowledge. They are not very different from employees of Apple Retail. And I can absolutely guarantee you that Apple Retail employees are not privvy to such info.

I will admit it's an interesting concept. However, I have my doubts as to whether Apple would do this, especially given previous statements that they would neither support nor prevent Windows from booting on their Intel Macs.

Apple reps are quite a bit different from workers in an Apple retail store. Apple reps manage sales, develop programs (im not talking about application/software programs) relating to apple software/hardware, help control non-apple retail stores for apple products (apple authorized retailers), develop programs and plans for the education sector, and much more. According to the previous poster, this was an Apple rep at the Comp USA store, not an Comp USA rep at the Comp USA store, so I imagine their responsibilities would be similar to that of the other Apple Reps like my local one. In addition, it was my local Apple rep that told me that OS releases were not very secret within the company around the time before the Tiger release. She's an Apple rep and she obviously knew about Tiger. As far as software and hardware developers needing to know about the next OS, this just shows that a large portion of the company would know, which is not the case with most Apple releases. Only people directly involved with a given project would know about that project with other releases.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    So, I guess the guy was right....
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Rock on! So many people state a "rumor" and they're dead wrong, and no one takes them to task. Here's a rumor that's right - kudos.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I love it when people are rude for no reason and have to eat their word!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"What do you think?"

Guess it's time for you to get back to BootCamp.

Crow, it's what's for dinner.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gunnar23

I love it when people are rude for no reason and have to eat their word!

Somehow I doubt the rude people in this thread are willing to come back and admit they were wrong and take the good-natured ribbing that follows.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Guys...you know who you are...enjoy that heaping of crow

Teach you right to spout off. LOL...heck we've all been there but the crow never tastes any better.