core duo iMac windows game recommendations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, so now boot camp is out i can dual boot windows with graphics support on my iMac, I just ordered a win xp installation disk (university discount, just ?20) so I can do the one thing on my mac that i do miss from my pc days:

play the occasional game.

As the pc my iMac recently replaced was a 5 year old POC, I'm really out of the loop about recent pc games that are worthwhile, so I'm hoping some of you can give me some advise on which games I (and others with same desire) should definitely look into...

Thanks for any/all feedback!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Oh man... I would LOVE to know what is going on with games and Boot Camp. I hope it has full DirectX support and the like. If it doesn't, you won't be able to play PC games I don't think. I haven't seen any first-hand reports yet.

If you're into RPG's at all, get Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. It's supposedly absolutely spectacular, with great graphics and forty-plus hours of gameplay.

Battlefield 2 is a really fun modern warfare FPS that's great online. Tons of vehicles and large-scale war.

When Spore comes out you'll want that too. Looks really fun.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks, will look into those!

About graphics support, according to the apple bootcamp pages:

The Macintosh Drivers CD includes drivers to support these within Windows XP:

* Intel Chip Set Software (6.2.1)

* ATI Graphics (8.24.0.0)

* Intel Integrated Graphics (6.14.10.4512)

So I'm pretty certain DirectX will be fully supported with these drivers. I'm sure the first test reports will be here very shortly.

Edit: did some sniffing around and first reports indicate that graphics support is fully working and windows games install and run like a charm!