Fossil Of Devonian Fish-Land Animal Thingie

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Six metres long shallow-water-dwelling predator, tetrapod anatomy, scales and fins:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/st...747926,00.html

The first complete fossil evidence of a creature in evolutionary transition between water and land habitats.

Really, really cool. I want to be a paleontologist.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Cool, yes. However, there will never come a day when I for a second believe Man to be a descendent of fish. That is insanity.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Cool, yes. However, there will never come a day when I for a second believe Man to be a descendent of fish. That is insanity.

In your lifetime, yes. In the lifetime of your known family tree, certainly. In the 3.5 billion years life has existed on this planet, absolutely not.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

In your lifetime, yes. In the lifetime of your known family tree, certainly. In the 3.5 billion years life has existed on this planet, absolutely not.

Absolutely? As in with no doubt whatsoever? With complete certainty? Without any question? As a matter of fact?

Just checking.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Absolutely? As in with no doubt whatsoever? With complete certainty? Without any question? As a matter of fact?

Just checking.

Absolutely not insanity, as a matter of fact.

But really, we don't need another evolution debate do we?

Seriously?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

Absolutely not insanity, as a matter of fact.

Thanks. Just checking.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:

Thanks. Just checking.

No problem...

Is anyone else NOT surprised they haven't found human bones in 600 million year old rock?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    BOT, I hate how they are always claiming they found a 'missing link' or transitional fossil. it makes it seem as if there are these defines species and the all of a sudden in a few years evolve into a new species. I know that's what some hard core creationists think evolutionists think but the term missing link implies it directly connects one fossil/life-form with another.

Awesome; we found a fossil that shows evidence how fish started showing characteristics that would make it easier to move around on land for some reason that could be speculated. Now we have 2 new "missing links". (not really)

Edit: Almost forgot to link to Carl Zimmer's blog about this: http://loom.corante.com/archives/200...wards_land.php
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

No problem...

Is anyone else NOT surprised they haven't found human bones in 600 million year old rock?

It must mean it's impossible to build a time machine because if it were possible you KNOW someone would try and make a killing on historical tourism

Travelling back in time to witness ancient life forms would be Epcot++++++
  • Reply 9 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

It must mean it's impossible to build a time machine because if it were possible you KNOW someone would try and make a killing on historical tourism

Travelling back in time to witness ancient life forms would be Epcot++++++

What would happen if someone accidentally stepped on some of the primordial ooze?
  • Reply 10 of 38
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

What would happen if someone accidentally stepped on some of the primordial ooze?

There was a Simpsons episode about this, you unoriginal fool!

Of course, the chances are good that the Simpsons writers borrowed it from some long-since-buried episode of the Twilight Zone.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

There was a Simpsons episode about this, you unoriginal fool!

Of course, the chances are good that the Simpsons writers borrowed it from some long-since-buried episode of the Twilight Zone.

Nope, it's a gloss on the Ray Bradbury story "A Sound of Thunder" (recently made into a movie that I think only has the name and the general premise in common with the story).

Pretty much the ur time travel paradox story, change the present by changing the past division.

• Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Nope, it's a gloss on the Ray Bradbury story "A Sound of Thunder" (recently made into a movie that I think only has the name and the general premise in common with the story).

Pretty much the ur time travel paradox story, change the present by changing the past division.

Hang on second...didn't H.G. Wells hit on this in "Time Machine"?
  • Reply 13 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Hang on second...didn't H.G. Wells hit on this in "Time Machine"?

Did he? I thought it was straight up time travel.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Did he? I thought it was straight up time travel.

Maybe so. Been a while.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Just checking.

come on Chris, both you and I know that man was planted here by the giants, the 'Nephilim' from the planet Nibiru who screwed our fair Earth maidens. Its in the bible

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days -- and also afterward -- when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them." - Genesis 6

Just wondering Chris, does it say in the super Sun-Book? why God created DNA? Its not like he needs to invent a mechanism that permits evolution if he just wants to fashion things out of dust.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

You should see my kids in a swimming pool! We couldn't have lost our gills all that long ago!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You mean like Picard?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

You mean like Picard?

And those damn inverse-Tachyon beams?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

And those damn inverse-Tachyon beams?

You'de think that inverse tachyon beams would distort time into the future.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

You'de think that inverse tachyon beams would distort time into the future.

wouldn't an inverse Tachyon beam, be a joke for a normal particle/wave?