Windows gaming on Macs?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I remember this topic used to be shrugged off as extremely unlikely, even in the event of Win XP running on Intel Macs.

A few weeks ago, it was still regarded as possible but in the distant future, since there were no effective drivers for the translation of DirectX to Mac hardware.

What about now? Has Boot Camp changed the face of this issue? I don't currently have a Windows install disk, or else I'd be installing it myself now.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, i'm in the middle of installing...first, drivers from apple, next, AVG Free antivirus. and then windows updates... all 38 of them....

finally i'm working on CounterStrike:Source...downloading.... I'll let you know how the framerate is... I think it'll be quite good with 2gb ram and a x1600. Not as good as my game machine but playable.

I'll have some info for you soon.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wow, already i'm not liking the dual booting. I'm too used to letting my windows box run updates or whatever and swapping over to OS X to do all the real stuff I do. But I can't cause ...windows is booted up. bah!! Still waiting on steam to finish downloading CS:S...at 3%...ack
  • Reply 3 of 13
    8%....bah, steam is Sloooooow tonight.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ok, it took all night to download CS:S and this morning i didn't play it but i did run the video stress test.

I'm on an iMac 17" 2gb ram, 128mb x1600, with 20" Dell 2005fpw as primary display out through the mini DVI port.

During the stress test I noticed artifacts on both screens, so the video drivers are not perfect.

I ran the test twice, first run 50.3fps and second 51.3fps. This was at the 1280x1024 (LCD) on the 20" Dell monitor with all settings maxed for the video card, HDR turned off.

Other than the artifacts (which could be a dual screen thing) it looks very playable with a very good framerate. On the same monitor my 7800GS / 2gb / 2500 Sempron gets a 70+fps.

But because sound is out through speakers and headset (and no way to only do headset with current drivers) I won't be playing on this computer very often.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    But it works! Amazing--thanks for the information! I, too, am going to load WinXP and play CS:S.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I have been playing battlefied 2 pretty much non stop since yesturday afternoon. It is beautiful! Great frame rates and great quality! I only have 1GB of ram in my 20 inch iMac and I have most of the settings on medium and some on high running at the highest res of 1450 by 1050(or whatever it is) I believe if I boosted the ram up to 2GB I could change some more mediums to high.

This is very impressive!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

I have been playing battlefied 2 pretty much non stop since yesturday afternoon. It is beautiful! Great frame rates and great quality! I only have 1GB of ram in my 20 inch iMac and I have most of the settings on medium and some on high running at the highest res of 1450 by 1050(or whatever it is) I believe if I boosted the ram up to 2GB I could change some more mediums to high.

This is very impressive!

Whoa. This is a major breakthrough for my purposes! Now I can trash the WinXP computer for good! Apple, you've won my eternal love (as if you didn't already have it).

Question--did you go out and buy another copy of WinXP, or is it possible to use a copy that you've used previously? Common sense is telling me I have to buy another copy, since it requires a CD key, so I don't even know why I'm asking this question
  • Reply 8 of 13
    You have to buy another copy of it... for one it has to have Service Pack 2 and there is a way to mess around and make a disc from a windows install disc that doesn't have it. Seemed like to much work for me. LOL

As soon as I read the news here on appleinsider I knew I would be buying BF2 and windows that day.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

You have to buy another copy of it... for one it has to have Service Pack 2 and there is a way to mess around and make a disc from a windows install disc that doesn't have it. Seemed like to much work for me. LOL

As soon as I read the news here on appleinsider I knew I would be buying BF2 and windows that day.

I love that you and I are in the same mindset

Rock on--I would play BF:2, but I played it for about a month and found it fun, but plagued by bugs the developers don't really care to fix \ Either way, if you're ever up for a round of CS:S, I should be up and running by this weekend
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mac76mac76 Posts: 4member
    With Boot Camp, I am now fully prepared to launch my Dell out the window.

The only reason I was keeping a PC around was for gaming.

Now my Mac is One with the Gamer. One with the Pro, One with the Universe.

"Dude, I'm getting rid of my Dell!"
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac76

"Dude, I'm getting rid of my Dell!"

"Dude, you're gettin' a VIRUS!" LOL
  • Reply 12 of 13
    nar1117nar1117 Posts: 18member
    Quote:

This is very impressive!

Could you try something for us?

Try boosting the settings up to high on all accounts, and report back to us on the performance. This is what im most interested in, as i will be getting a MacBook pro soon, and im curious to see how far i can push it. Thanks if you can do this for us!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nar1117

Could you try something for us?

Try boosting the settings up to high on all accounts, and report back to us on the performance. This is what im most interested in, as i will be getting a MacBook pro soon, and im curious to see how far i can push it. Thanks if you can do this for us!

I upgraded to 2 GB of ram. With 1 GB of Ram when you put everything on high it simply would not run. It was about a frame every 5 seconds.

With 2BG of ram I can run everything on high at 1280x900(or whatever it is) I have turned one or two of the sliders down. The dynamic shadow and lighting down to medium. This is just so when there is a lot of things going on it doesn't lag. It does run with everything on high just fine but I like to be safe.