Whoever STOLE my ipod....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I left my 60 gig photo ipod in the mens room of "Suen" restaurant on Prince st here in NY today.

I came into the city to buy some new headphones for it, since my old ones were busted.

I went to the restaurant first. Left my ipod(without realizing it) and then went to the apple store in soho down the street and bought some new headphones. THEN realized I left my ipod. Ran back to the restaurant...only to find my ipod was history. It was loaded with all my music AND photos.

To the A-HOLE who took my ipod without bringing it to the manager.

Karma is a bitch....but you will surely get yours. I hope as you listen to my ipod, it falls onto the subway tracks and you go down to retrieve it only to be electrocuted on the third rail and then run over by an oncoming train.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...i'm over it.

So now. What do i do? Buy a new video ipod? Or wait for the next update? Everyone keeps talking about it.

DAMN! <sorry still pissed>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Well, you bought the headphones. You may as well replace the iPod so you have something to use them with.

Sorry about your pilfered pod but with something that expensive/desireable you need to be a little extra careful. You're right though. Karma's the only thing that might catch the person.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Or perhaps it was karma resetting itself that caused this
  • Reply 3 of 30
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Sorry to hear that, although now its a good excuse to get the new video model. The screen is bigger and nicer anyhow! If you're so concerned about the next models, maybe you should pickup a nano to tide you over for a while. I don't know what I'd do without my iPod!

Meanwhile, ignore Anders, although with such hostility he might be right.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Yeah. Just venting.

I am usually SO careful. But having just returned from China, I'm still alittle jet lagged. It just was one of those things. <sigh>

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I am torn now. I could:

1) Wait for next update to video ipod

2) Get current video ipod

I am going through withdrawal already. As cool as the nano's are, I am so used to having ALL my music on my ipod. So getting the nano to tide my over isn't really going to work for me. I mean, whats the point? I don't want to go thru the hassle of selling it. And having two ipods at once seems silly to me. I know some have more then one...but not me.

So I have to decide. Buy now or wait? Ah...the eternal question.

How often do they get updates? Last one was around August. I haven't been paying much attention to the ipod forums.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If Apple releases one of these new fangled video iPods we've been reading about, would you even want it? If not, aside from maybe a HD bump, I'd expect that current video iPods will still be sold. In which case, I'd say just go pick one up. It'll also be thinner than your old photo model so you can drool over it all over again.

I hear you on wanting to keep your entire collection on your iPod. I thought I'd be the same way, but I prefer the super slim size of my nano (previously a mini, and before that an old school Rio 500) and I don't mind shuffling tracks around. I sync it daily for fresh podcasts anyhow, so moving some tracks around doesn't bother me.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I had my 60 ipod stolen out of a locked glove compartment in my dad's car. There was no indication whatsoever that i had any type of thing in it; no wires, cables or anything.

They sliced through the window (it was a Jeep Wrangler) and all this next to the guards [supposed] station
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Bummer Jwink. I feel your pain.

I checked out the 60 gig Video iPods at the apple store. I had no idea they were so THIN. Its really amazing. I dig the black one.

Does anyone know how good the battery life is on the new video ipods? Are they better then the older photo ipods? Just curious.

Thanks
  • Reply 8 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    <sarcasum> OHHHH...I feel SOOOOOO sorry for you, I frequently leave my iPod in public restrooms to return and retreive it moments later...no one steals things...</sarcasum>

How could you possibly do that? I really do not get it; I walk arround with a wallet, car keys, a cell phone, an iPod(sometimes) and various other crap in my pockets and never have I left one behind, or even got them out while in there...if the phone rings, I return the call when I leave, and if you cant take a piss without messing wih the iPod, you should seek help.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    A greer....you MUST be retarded. Did you not read my post? Didnt you read how I said that I just returned from China and had massive jet lag?

I TOO have NEVER lost or THOUGHT I'd ever lose an ipod or wallet....but it CAN happen...even to the best of us.

I learned the hard way today.

For you to mock that...fine. I'm over it. Life goes on. But you must be one lame ass mutha F'er to be so callous. I mean...WHY even comment on my post? If you had nothing constructive to say...why even bother? Do you have a life?

You must be one of those insecure A holes who find joy in others misfortune.

Both you AND the guy who stole my iPod are one and the same in my opinion. Both losers who are lucky they don't cross my path.

Pathetic.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I have the feeling that both agreer and tonton are the kind of people... who WOULD steal an ipod...JUST like the guy who swiped mine.

The bathroom was a closet. It wasnt some large bathroom. There were no stalls. Just a sink and a toilet bowl. The room was lit by candle light...I left it on the counter...and walked out without it.

I got 10 blocks before I realized it, and ran back.

Yes...I am mad at myself.

But if either Agreer or TonTon think that the "A hole" who took it doesn't deserve his fair share of the blame...well F U two.

I mean if I saw an ipod in that bathroom, I would have simply picked it up and brought it to the manager. The person would have returned(like me) in a panic, and would have been handed the ipod. Good karma.

But NO....the jerk had to swipe it. And you two losers BASH me?

Dickwads.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Regardless of someone stealing it, you did forget your iPod. Yes it sucks that it happend... I'd be pissed too; But you can't blame the person who stole it for you not having it now. You were the one who was careless enough to leave it in the bathroom and give someone the opportunity to take it.

Don't get me wrong, I do sympathize with your situation, but just realise that your are the most at fault for not having your iPod with you right now.

If I were you I'd buy a refurbished older model for the time being if its not too much and then buy the next new model when it comes out. If you can't afford to do that, just by the video iPod... it's a damn good iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Duh!

Of COURSE i blame myself. BUT...what kind of loser wouldn't return an ipod they found in a local restaurants bathroom.

Maybe its just me? Maybe I have more morals then alot of you yahoos....BUT I would have RETURNED it to the manager(who is a cool guy).

I can understand if you found an ipod laying in the grass somewhere or something...but this was in a neighborhood joint.

Yes...I am mad at myself for being so tired as to not realize it right away. But again...the person who took my ipod had a simple choice. He could have 1) handed the ipod into managment or 2) stolen it like the morally corrupt individual that he is.

Obviously he chose the latter.

Maybe I'm just getting sick of NY. I've had 2 bikes stolen(yes they were chained up) in the last year.

I was going to take my 3rd bike....lock it up, and then hide across the street....waiting for the first person to "attempt" to take it...then POUNCE on the loser and smack em around.

I love NY...but sometimes I hate it. In Colorado, everyone leaves their doors open, or they leave valuables in plain site in their cars. Also, when I was in Japan, my friend left her camera on the bus from her hotel. When she got back to the hotel later that day, her camera was sitting on the counter of the hotel on a silver platter(no joke). It had no identification tag...but when she said it was hers, the lady behind the desk said "Dozo...please take it". The bus driver must have found it, and realized it came from the hotel.

Amazing. So there IS such a thing as decent behavior and trust in this world. I'm just living in the wrong city.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Ok, It's NYC people lose/steal stuff all the time.

I am sorry for your loss. I have had both good and bad experiences with losing items. I had a stewardess chase me through the terminal after a trip to Europe to return my ipod left in the seat back.

If don't keep aware of your surroundings and belongings they will end up lost or stolen. Most people are honest and will return items left behind, however, you shouldn't rely on that.

SOHO has become much more safe than 10 years ago as NYC as a whole, but it still is a major city. People are stealing ipods all over the place some even at gunpoint.

As the New York Post reports, New York City students have been victimized in an increasing number of iPod muggings and in-school larcenies (up 41% since last year). The number of student iPod robberies on the subway, alone, has doubled in recent months. A high school student in February required 44 stitches after being stabbed in an iPod mugging on a city train.

Now, for the next time:

You might also try www.stuffbak.com for your replacement ipod.

One other question, why is this not posted in general discussion.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    m_shellm_shell Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

A greer....you MUST be retarded. Did you not read my post? Didnt you read how I said that I just returned from China and had massive jet lag?

I TOO have NEVER lost or THOUGHT I'd ever lose an ipod or wallet....but it CAN happen...even to the best of us.

I learned the hard way today.

For you to mock that...fine. I'm over it. Life goes on. But you must be one lame ass mutha F'er to be so callous. I mean...WHY even comment on my post? If you had nothing constructive to say...why even bother? Do you have a life?

You must be one of those insecure A holes who find joy in others misfortune.

Both you AND the guy who stole my iPod are one and the same in my opinion. Both losers who are lucky they don't cross my path.

Pathetic.

agree with you. loosing an ipod having/having it stolen can happen to any of you, it can happen to me. its just that one momment (one second) of setting it down. its happened to some people i know. one of my friends just this past week has lost her ipod
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I had an oppourtunity recently to swipe an ipod video. It was just laying there unattended and I have to admit for about 5 seconds I thought about it. But hey... what kind of person would you have to be to do that? If I REALLY had to have one... I could afford buying one... but I certainly don't need to stoop to stealing one.

Karma will get the thief. We all do silly things.. and leaving an ipod in a bathroom could happen to any one of us. Just a few weeks ago my work cell phone fell of my belt clip and into the err... bowl. Oops!

While I am careful with me electronics... stiuff happens.

My advice, pick up the video ipod. I am currently waiting to upgrade my 4th gen ipod and I think I can wait until the next release.... but I think you will miss having one until the release date of the next one... which I am guessing will be June.

Good luck with your decision!
  • Reply 16 of 30
    m_shellm_shell Posts: 30member
    yeah about a year ago, when i wanted an ipod, somebody left theres on a table and i could of easily took it but i didnt cause how would i feel if someone did that to me? i would hope if someone found an ipod they would do the right thing and turn it in...

I think im gonna get a 30gb video this week...i was thinking about waiting till they come out w/ a new ipod but if they are only suppose to chaning the 60gb then its no use to me...cause i dont want a 60, i want the 30 one...
  • Reply 17 of 30
    No, you WANT the 60! ;-)
  • Reply 18 of 30
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Sorry, I had no idea you were a fellow member of AI, when I swiped it. Never dreamed you would be calling me out here. What are the chances of that? Oh, well, you ain't getting it back. I swear I was no where near the Jeep.

PS- I am, of course, just joking. Do not send the law after me. Sorry for having fun with your misfortune.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    jleonjleon Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

I love NY...but sometimes I hate it. In Colorado, everyone leaves their doors open, or they leave valuables in plain site in their cars... I'm just living in the wrong city.

Hey regan, don't start ragging on New York for something that's totally your own fault. NYC is a much safer city than Denver, and plenty of New Yorkers would have returned you iPod.

Maybe you flushed it down the toilet in your jet-lagged haze.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jleon

Hey regan, don't start ragging on New York for something that's totally your own fault. NYC is a much safer city than Denver, and plenty of New Yorkers would have returned you iPod.

Maybe you flushed it down the toilet in your jet-lagged haze.

Temper temper...