iBook/iPod to wait or not to wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What a WEEK!

First my old G3 ibook DIES. I've been waiting for the intel ibooks...but now I don't have any laptop to tide me over till then. (at least I have my imac at home).

And now even WORSE....just yesterday my 60 gig photo iPod was STOLEN! Already I am going thru withdrawal. I had 3,000 songs(and growing) on it, and hundreds of photos. (CURSE you whoever took it!).

Anyway, now I am waiting for the intel ibooks AND a possible video ipod update.

I am think I will wait for the ibook, but my question is, should i wait for the next video iPod update? I've heard there maybe an update very soon. I didn't count on my iPod being stolen, so I haven't been keeping up with any iPod rumors...and don't know what is or isn't solid.

Thanks for any info.

-Regan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    I would wait for the next iPod update, but I do not listen to music much on the go, anyway, the 60-gig is on apples 60-day warning list, so if thats the one your going for, wait a few weeks to see if a new one comes out, if not, and you really need one, get it, it is still a great ipod.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Hey Noah, thanks for the 60 day tip. Maybe I will wait a bit longer.

I hear what you say about listening to music on the go. I am half and half. I travel alot, so its nice to listen to my music on the go...especially on a 20 hour flight to New Zealand!

But sometimes I catch myself listening to it too much as I walk down the street. Sometimes I miss listening to the sounds of the city around me. It depends on my mood. But i understand what you say.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    File a police report on your iPod. Maybe your insurance will cover it being stolen.

Regardless, the current Video iPod is great, I have one and it was a major upgrade from my older 40 GB iPod. There probably is an update coming at some point but the iPod line is a hard thing to predict since there have been so many branches in it.

If you don't really need an upgrade from your old iPod Photo, you might be able to find a store that still has them in stock and discounted. The thing about the iPod line is, while the new iPod might have an updated input method (touch screen) or maybe some kind of a better screen for watching movies (I think the current one is fine), if you're mainly using it to listen to music, the current iPod is going to do it pretty much the same way a 'new' iPod will.

As for the iBooks, they are overdue for an update. I would wait if possible. If not, you might consider the low end MacBook Pro as a replacement.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Hey Fran. Thanks for the advice. I wish I could file a report, but I left it in a restaurant, so it wouldn't do any good. Its gone...and insurance wont cover it.

I am going to wait for the ibook as you suggested.

And I am giving the ipod until the 20th of April. Thats when I travel to Brazil, and if they don't update the ipod line by then, I will buy the current video ipod.

Thanks again. :-)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Same goes for the iBook. If you need a machine, get a refurb or look for a used machine or something, because the 13" intel macbooks are expected in a month or so.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    I'd wait the next couple of weeks are going to be interesing
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Same goes for the iBook. If you need a machine, get a refurb or look for a used machine or something, because the 13" intel macbooks are expected in a month or so.

And hopefully new iPods will come with them :-D
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Hi,

Does the location where your stuff is stolen matter? Here in the Netherlands it doesn't matter. If it is stolen, it's stolen. Filing a police report is required for the insurance. I would try if I were you, perhaps you get a portion of the money refunded, you never know!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    m_shellm_shell Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

I would wait for the next iPod update, but I do not listen to music much on the go, anyway, the 60-gig is on apples 60-day warning list, so if thats the one your going for, wait a few weeks to see if a new one comes out, if not, and you really need one, get it, it is still a great ipod.

so they plan on changing the 60gb and keeping the 30gb the same?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m_shell

so they plan on changing the 60gb and keeping the 30gb the same?

They will change the 60-gig because it is their high-end model, the 30-gig will come along in the future

in canada the 60-gig costs $474, so if they plan a 'touch-screen' or something, they would try to keep it around the same price, replacing a $350 [30-gig] model with something that will end up with a price around $475 is useless, and if they did that, no one would buy the 60-gig as there is something better for [roughly] the same price.

- Noah