Apple to ditch iBook brand alongside notebook launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

How is a camera supposedly disabled in BIOS necessarily trustable? Is that setting checked on every entry into a secure area? Is there any checking to see whether it has been tampered? Despite what some quack .gov or .mil document says, I don't see how a "disabled" camera is more trustworthy than a destroyed camera.

So the government will order an icepick with every MacBook, then ?
  • Reply 62 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Only his second post, and he's pulling out the "ummm" card on Anders!

Now it's on!

A lot of newbies have been doing that to him lately. He's going to have to change his tag to:

"Mild Mannered Masochistic Moderator."
  • Reply 63 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tensdanny38

Thank you for telling me as a consumer myself what I need. Last time I checked you don't see many people gaming while at work. I don't know many programmers that get paid to play css

or graphic designers that make their big bucks playing oblivion.

x1600 is a midrange graphics card. It is not their high end card by any means.

I don't know why there needs to be such titles as professional and consumer. I think that is a snoody way to say metal case or plastic case. Let me ask you this, who has the most powerful computer you know? Is it a programmer, graphic designer or film editor? More than likely its a geeky teenager who plays wow or cs:s.

If I wanted a high-end card, i'd expect a mobile 7800 or a mobile x1800. I want a dual-core machine that can play games and fill the spot the 12" mbp would have.

Each person is different. But generally, apple sells these to schools, and to those who don't want a bigger, heaver machine, that also costs more. Battery life is also a consideration in the design.

I'm surprised, if this article is true, of course, that Apple would even be going to a dual core chip for this.

And, all computer manufacturers break their lineup into low end consumer, high end consumer, basic business, and power user models.

Apple is not doing anything that much different. Check out Dell.

Oh, and, true, gamers don't buy "home" machines, if they can afford not to.
  • Reply 64 of 170
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

So the government will order an icepick with every MacBook, then ?

No, that really is a silly idea, but I'm pointing out one of the follies in the standard policies. With tiny cameras available and fashionable into just about any form factor larger than a pea, I wonder if all this work trying to keep offending phones and laptops out would just divert security efforts away from discovering more subtle means of sneaking in cameras.
  • Reply 65 of 170
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

A lot of newbies have been doing that to him lately. He's going to have to change his tag to:

"Mild Mannered Masochistic Moderator."

Huh?

There has been a lot of newbies who have posted replies to me while having their heads in liquid lead so they couldn´t see the finer points. This is the first time where I made a factual booboo in a very long time.
  • Reply 66 of 170
    If they make a really powerful 13.1" MacBook Core Duo, I'd be in the market (assuming money appears magically due to the infinite improbability of the universe).

But seriously, the small-screen, high-powered portable is absolutely neccessary to fill the spot of thd 12" PB.
  • Reply 67 of 170
    fezzasusfezzasus Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

The second link predicted, with stunning accuracy, that the iMac and the MacBook Pro would be introduced in January, with MacMini release in the "spring". The only thing the linked article was wrong about was the introduction of the MacBook alongside the new MacMini. However, due to the unexpected delays detailed in the latest AppleInsider predictions, it looks like these delays were unexpected by Apple and due to resource shortages. If AppleInsider maintains the track record established by the above two articles, we should see the new MacBooks by the beginning of May at the latest.

Were it not for the prediction about the Intel iMac, I might not have held out for the Intel iMac. The AppleInsider prediction lingered in my mind, and I was quite (but not completely) pleasantly surprised when it was introduced. I'm typing this on my 20 inch Intel iMac.

It has, yet the apple line of computers is small and it is easy to predict what will happen after predicting everything else wrongly.

One final question, if the ibook replacement is comming out in the next 30-60 days, wouldn't the 14" iBook (which is said to be replaced immidatly) be placed on the 60 day at risk list?
  • Reply 68 of 170
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tensdanny38

Thank you for telling me as a consumer myself what I need. Last time I checked you don't see many people gaming while at work. I don't know many programmers that get paid to play css

or graphic designers that make their big bucks playing oblivion.

x1600 is a midrange graphics card. It is not their high end card by any means.

I don't know why there needs to be such titles as professional and consumer. I think that is a snoody way to say metal case or plastic case. Let me ask you this, who has the most powerful computer you know? Is it a programmer, graphic designer or film editor? More than likely its a geeky teenager who plays wow or cs:s.

If I wanted a high-end card, i'd expect a mobile 7800 or a mobile x1800. I want a dual-core machine that can play games and fill the spot the 12" mbp would have.

What you are saying would make sense in a perfet world, the MBP should have nothing less than Nvidia 7800 or an ATI 1800 XT as those are the pro cards. ATI 1600XT is a mid range graphics card not a pr card, when Apple charges a premium price they should put in a premium hardware. Apple as a company should realize that it should not follow the PC herd, instead give the PC World something (hopefully some kind of a legacy) to follow.
  • Reply 69 of 170
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

How long until they discover they now need to rename the iPod to... the MacPod!!!

The iPod is neither a computer nor a Mac product. It's in a category all its own and therefore does not "need" a name change.
  • Reply 70 of 170
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Anders

Huh?...There has been a lot of newbies who have posted replies to me while having their heads in liquid lead so they couldn´t see the finer points. This is the first time where I made a factual booboo in a very long time.

I guess y'all probably think I'm obsessed with it but can someone actually report on how Parallels' software works? Performance? Compatibility? File Access? Cut-And-Paste? As you can tell I got no Intel Mac

The one piece of information we have is that on the Mac Mini Core Solo the Virtualization option is not available. Screenshot please? Or probably the Parallels' discussion should go to another thread...
  • Reply 71 of 170
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    SUn: Actually people are reporting virtualization ARE working on their Core Solos.
  • Reply 72 of 170
    Yeah sorry mates there is a thread going on virtualization and Parallels Software

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=62515
  • Reply 73 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

How is a camera supposedly disabled in BIOS necessarily trustable? Is that setting checked on every entry into a secure area? Is there any checking to see whether it has been tampered? Despite what some quack .gov or .mil document says, I don't see how a "disabled" camera is more trustworthy than a destroyed camera.

Here's a free idea: Tamper evident hologram security stickers

Just place one of these over the opening for the camera. If you work in one of these facilities and don't want camera operation as a feature, then bingo --you don't have a workable camera.

Make it permanent, bright, flashy and evident. Stick it to cellphone, laptops, whatever.

I live to serve...

gc
  • Reply 74 of 170
    Originally posted by a_greer

My prediction:

All core duo, varying speeds.

all 512 MB ram

all integrated graphics (to seperate the Pro line)

all iSight

all 13.3 inch display

all mini DVI, mirror only

Low end $899-1099

60 GB hdd

combo drive

High end. (low end+200)

80GB hdd

superdrive

frontrow remote

I'm guessing

Radeon Xpress 200M graphics not Intel integrated.

http://www.ati.com/products/Radeonxp...tel/index.html

I hope they all have 5400rpm drives...
  • Reply 75 of 170
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GordonComstock

Here's a free idea: Tamper evident hologram security stickers

Just place one of these over the opening for the camera. If you work in one of these facilities and don't want camera operation as a feature, then bingo --you don't have a workable camera.

Make it permanent, bright, flashy and evident. Stick it to cellphone, laptops, whatever.

That's a pretty good one. It could be semi-permanent such that the unit could have a good second life when replaced/upgraded but still quick and easy to inspect.
  • Reply 76 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

What you are saying would make sense in a perfet world, the MBP should have nothing less than Nvidia 7800 or an ATI 1800 XT as those are the pro cards. ATI 1600XT is a mid range graphics card not a pr card, when Apple charges a premium price they should put in a premium hardware. Apple as a company should realize that it should not follow the PC herd, instead give the PC World something (hopefully some kind of a legacy) to follow.

I remember some PC manufacturer selling a notebook with specs VERY similar to the MacBook Pro's, but for a hundred dollars more... anyone remember?
  • Reply 77 of 170
    I really wish they'd do a 13.3" MacBook Pro. Why must we sacrifice performance for a little bit more portability?
  • Reply 78 of 170
    Quote:

Thats not what i'm saying at all. I'm saying they should offer more options to consumers. I feel my market has been eliminated with the 12" mbp because I want a dual core system that is small, and has a gpu. I want something more powerful than a x1300. Preferably an x1600.
  • Reply 79 of 170
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

What you are saying would make sense in a perfet world, the MBP should have nothing less than Nvidia 7800 or an ATI 1800 XT as those are the pro cards. ATI 1600XT is a mid range graphics card not a pr card, when Apple charges a premium price they should put in a premium hardware...

I agree with this statement, but don't forget that the X1800 was not available when the announced the MBP. I don't remember when the 7800 came out, but it appears to me that Apple was happy sticking with ATi for portables anyway - especially considering capabilities like Avivo. Maybe they'll the X1800 in the 17" MBP (and maybe as an option for the 15").

As for my predictions for the MacBook: I think the specs will be virtually the same as the Mac mini, with the exception of the graphics. I think/hope Apple will use ATi's X1300 or X1400 w/ 64 MB dedicated VRam and disable Hypermemory. This way users will have a solid boost in graphics performance, but without the drawback of siphoning off system memory.

BTW: Does anyone else think that Apple will release a 20" MBP? Maybe they want to focus on letting the MBP have larger displays. I mean, if Dell can do it, Apple can do it better.
  • Reply 80 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

I agree with this statement, but don't forget that the X1800 was not available when the announced the MBP. I don't remember when the 7800 came out, but it appears to me that Apple was happy sticking with ATi for portables anyway - especially considering capabilities like Avivo. Maybe they'll the X1800 in the 17" MBP (and maybe as an option for the 15").

As for my predictions for the MacBook: I think the specs will be virtually the same as the Mac mini, with the exception of the graphics. I think/hope Apple will use ATi's X1300 or X1400 w/ 64 MB dedicated VRam and disable Hypermemory. This way users will have a solid boost in graphics performance, but without the drawback of siphoning off system memory.

BTW: Does anyone else think that Apple will release a 20" MBP? Maybe they want to focus on letting the MBP have larger displays. I mean, if Dell can do it, Apple can do it better.

is 20 inches of laptop still portable?

If I needed a large screen, i would carry around a iBook and a projector, it would take up the same amount of room and cost similar