Apple must truly revolutionize otherwise fade...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    1. Applenut, dont speak anymore.

2. I think the iDVD ads were nothing short of amazing. The iDVD ads showed the product in action, showed people using them the way they should, showed software and hardware.

3. The iPod ad is simple, just like the iPod. It tells you the most important thing. This ad showed that the iPod is small and that it holds 1000 songs. It shows the world that there is something new going on with digital music from Apple.

4. The iBook ads were both very well done. Perfect product shots, iMovie,iTunes, etc..

5. Applenut, go home and you figure out what else Apple should do to market THEIR products. Apple could really use your talent.

6. The think different ad did not show anything but legendary people and the Apple logo.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Macintosh ]

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Apple can gain a user base overnight. All I have to do is point to the original iMac.

As far as market share, I think we are being a bit too broad. For one thing, Apple is A single computer manufacturer. Shouldn't we be comparing the market share to a Dell or Gateway or Compaq instead? Instead if you take Apple's actual market share as 5%, you're really comparing it to all those other computer makers combined. Sure it is important for Apple to gain more marketshare, but if anyone REALLy expects the Mac platform to gain a majority, we need to see the return of clones. Could Apple seriously support 30 40 50% of the PC world? I think it would be hard. Apple just needs to inform people about the Mac, because a lot of people really have no idea. If they were exposed and Apple truely had great products, I'm sure we'd see a lot of people convert.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>1. Applenut, dont speak anymore.

2. I think the iDVD ads were nothing short of amazing. The iDVD ads showed the product in action, showed people using them the way they should, showed software and hardware.

3. The iPod ad is simple, just like the iPod. It tells you the most important thing. This ad showed that the iPod is small and that it holds 1000 songs. It shows the world that there is something new going on with digital music from Apple.

4. The iBook ads were both very well done. Perfect product shots, iMovie,iTunes, etc..

5. Applenut, go home and you figure out what else Apple should do to market THEIR products. Apple could really use your talent.

6. The think different ad did not show anything but legendary people and the Apple logo.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol.

1.) nothing short of amazing? how far up Jobs ass do you have your dick?

2.) the ipod ad tells you nothing. 1000 songs in your pocket? great. was it an appealing ad? hell no. ask yourself. you are not a mac user, not even in to computers. you see this ad during a commercial break. do you stay at the channel and watch the whole thing or see some lame guy dancing around and switch the channel. you switch the channel.

3.) the iBook ads were horrible. the one that was shown the most was the one with the kid on the airplane. it showed a young punk kid being obnoxious, using a laptop on a plane yet taking up 3 seats and listening to year old obnoxious music. sorry but that is a horrible ad. the other one with a coupel of devices floating around it was barely shown and had next to no creative value at all.

4.) the think different ad and its campaign won for commercial of the year and numerous other advertising awards. but I'm sure you knew that. That one ad was aired back when Jobs first came back and it showed people Apple was still around. listen to the words. its a powerful commercial and the whole campaign built Apple's brand recognition levels back up to old levels. As a result Apple is one of the strongest brands in the world. most anyone who sees the logo knows its Apple Computer. I also listed a couple other commercials from the time period. Convenient how you show no mention of those.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Macintosh, you're a chronic liar and I can't believe you still have the lack of shame to keep posting here.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    It is also true that a lot of people have no idea about Apple because they could care less and are computer owners, just not people in need of an upgrade. When these people that have no clue go to upgrade they get bad advice. How can Apple take care of every single M$ grunt trying to pawn off a cheap PC to Joe Stupid?

It is going to take brilliant minds.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    it's not going to take brilliant minds. Apple needs to address the differences between a mac and a pc, the benefits of the mac. Show off OS X, show off how easy it is to do things. have an ad with , gasp, Office V.X featured and show that we have Office. have a few ads featuring Mac developers showing off some of the great software available.

Have a series of ads featuring the AppleMasters and how they use macs in their careers.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Have a series of ads featuring the AppleMasters and how they use macs in their careers.

That is an original idea, I like it.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong> To some people they are happy with a utilitarian vehicle that gets them from point A-B..while other perfer to ride in Style. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you're the only one who hit the nail on the head (and one of the few who has kept on topic).

Differentiating is important. And so do ads that help get the message across. OSX is cool but ultimately, both it and Windows XP are still similar.They both have a slick interface with icons which you point and click.

In fact, the whole graphical interface is an example of what I'm hoping for. While Apple didn't invent it, it certainly was the one who brought it to the masses. This changed the way of computing and productivity. Before this, we had "C" prompts. No other computer at the time worked the way the original 128K Mac did. It truly was different.

This is the kind of revolution I'm talking about. Introduce some mind blowing concept that really sets Apple apart again. Make it work with and complement OSX.

But I'm not naiive. I think I'm expecting way too much and way too soon.
  • Reply 29 of 37

<strong>1. Applenut, dont speak anymore.

Look at the iPod and iBook ads. What do they show your common Mr. Bigshot who will be ordering new computer for his whole company next quarter? That macs are toys, and sloppy people use them. Mr. Joe Schmoe will not be buying apple products because the ads have told him NOT too. I believe their ads are having a negative effect, not a positive.

Ask 10 random people what iTunes and iMovie are, I guarantee people will not be educated about them.

Don't diss applenut, he is a smart guy and he should be given a lot of respect. I like realism and I just want to help.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    You all know better than Chiat/Day.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    xypexype Posts: 672member

<strong>2) Pride. Wouldn't it be nice if people finally respected macs as computers?

Apple just is not capable of doing better at marketing than they are doing now.

Hah! Did Apple always have 5% market share? Or did they have more, say in 1994? Doh!
  • Reply 32 of 37
    OS X is revolutionary. If someone can't see that then perhaps a Wintel is best for them. Let them waste their time getting XP to work, they deserve it.

Something funny: Over the Holidays, whenever discussion switched to computers at get-tegethers, it was always comprised of everyone bitching about how their Wintels don't work properly! Of course I was always very silent, because my Mac works fine.

Notice that when Mac users get toegether, they talk about what you can DO with a computer, rather than complain about their computers not working.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>OS X is revolutionary.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In what way exaclty? It's a working OS. So?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Name one other Unix OS that is fit for consumer consumption.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Name one other Unix OS that is fit for consumer consumption.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why does it have to be Unix anyway, Unix is old. Actually Linux/OpenBSD with KDE2 would be it, it only lacks software (which has nothing to do with the OS)... IRIX had its share of "users" in the 3D market... Windows NT used to be POSIX compilant, and maybe Win2000 is too (I don't know).

And think of BeOS, which sadly is no more. Ok, not quite Unix, but it worked and it worked well, plus it was a consumer OS.

As if it's such a great feat to make a working OS - it's only a first for Apple, nothing revolutionary.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    If you can't see the fact that OSX is the best thing going for Apple, and for the entire industry in my opinion, then you're totally missing the boat.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by mslee:

<strong>If you can't see the fact that OSX is the best thing going for Apple, and for the entire industry in my opinion, then you're totally missing the boat.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OSX is a good thing for Apple because Apple will finally get a proper OS. It's really not that important for the entire industry, unless it gains more than 30% market share. People who want secure Unix powered servers get OpenBSD, people who want games and lots of software can be happy with WinXP and Apple guys and gals can at last experience multitasking in OSX.

You believe the Apple marketing department too easy.