Internet Explorer for Macs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm in the unenviable position of needing to run IE on my i-Mac (OS X 10.4.5) for work. I downloaded the latest IE version for Mac (5.2.3), but it doesn't load, i.e., I get the beach ball of death. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    If you are on the Intel iMac, the program might not run under rosetta.

- Noah
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danbob6

I'm in the unenviable position of needing to run IE

Are you sure of that? Would altering the browser's user agent suffice?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Plus, the Mac OS version of IE is so dated the features you need might not even be supported.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Internet Explorer for the Mac was developed independently to the Windows version, so they offer completely different features. (CSS support is much better on the Mac side, but the Mac version doesn't have ActiveX.)

If you need it for work, I guess it's for some intranet application that uses ActiveX. If it is, I'm afraid you'll have to boot or emulate Windows because there is no Mac version in existence.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    biederbieder Posts: 15member
    As a sidenote Internet Explorer runs fine under rosetta.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danbob6

it doesn't load, i.e., I get the beach ball of death. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

As soon as you launch IE and at the moment you see the window, press Apple + period to stop the home page from loading. The press Apple + ; to change the home page from something other than the default of msn.com.

It's not as ironic as it is funny that Microsoft's own shit gets in the way of its other apps.

Seriously investigate whether you can use Safari or Firefox. Over time, I.E. will be so outdated and web technology so much advanced that you won't even be able to use I.E.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    I agree with DHagan, many times IE will choke on the msn.com page when it opens up, happened to me a while back when I was trying to look at the specs for vista (choked in safari, common M$ junk).

- Noah
  • Reply 8 of 9
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    It's really dumb how some companies still design websites/intranets/extranets specifically tailored to one browser. It's rare but you still bump into a website that is IE specific.

IE for Mac is outdated and pretty much crap.

If you are on PPC Mac I suggest you get VPC and run IE through Win2000/XP

If you have a Intel Mac, try out Parallels Virtualization software and run XP on your Mac.

I would try to stay away from IE for Mac. It's not really supported on newer versions of OS X. Also talk to your IT dept and let them know you like to run non-IE browsers. It really is just lazy programming. Even if your company is heavily reliant on Outlook/Exchange you can get it to work on Safari or Firefox.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Use firefox and download the IE Tab extension, then you can run IE only sites from within FireFox. Smashing!