New macbook by May ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The "other" site suggests that the new ibook replacement is due in May. No sources are sited. Does anyone know if this is pure speculation or not ?

(My first posting...go easy on me)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    tick629tick629 Posts: 13member
    What is the other site?
  • Reply 3 of 54
    tick629tick629 Posts: 13member
    Thanks!!!
  • Reply 4 of 54
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    ThinkSecret used to have a near-perfect track record. But they seemed to have lost their sources.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

ThinkSecret used to have a near-perfect track record. But they seemed to have lost their sources.

Mine is still perfect and I say in April.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    They said by May, which could mean
    • By the end of may

• By the start of may

• Sometime between now and the end of may

• Reply 7 of 54
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Maybe you are both right...announced in april, ships in May...if one source is the factory, they may be saying May, that would e the day they leave the dock...if it is an Apple PR/promotions/webdesign/marketing material person, they may be looking at the April announcement date (their deadline), the way Apple works, one dept may not know what the other is doing.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    when do education markets make their decision for the fall?? they have to be able to "see" what they are investing in. that's when you'll get an announcment.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

when do education markets make their decision for the fall?? they have to be able to "see" what they are investing in. that's when you'll get an announcment.

odds are the desision is already made for this fall, there is a lot involved, teachers have to go for it, the curiculum needs to match up, licence pricing for software has to be hammered out, custom configurations need to be determined (audio i/o for the music department, Quadro graphics cards for the CAD and 3d annimation classes and so on) and the equipment has to be ordered right about now, take delivery in ~may, set them up and over summer, deploy images and test everything. A large scale deployment of a new platform or mehod is not something that you jump into.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so they lost out to the education market??, or did the edu get a preview, or maybe they assumed a certain level of features??? the software could have been previewed . but why would apple wait and exclude a market they really really want. or did they give them steep discounts on the g4 model??? with all the hype for other products why mess up this deployment
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

so they lost out to the education market??, or did the edu get a preview, or maybe they assumed a certain level of features??? the software could have been previewed . but why would apple wait and exclude a market they really really want. or did they give them steep discounts on the g4 model??? with all the hype for other products why mess up this deployment

it doesnt matter, Untill you can run ye ole' office and Adobe apps nativly (and in all too many sad cases, integrate with ActivDirectory), then the edu market isnt gonna look at intel OSX regaurdless of hardware. Schools will let others take the risk of early adoption, and even when fat bins do ship, they will (or should) wait for a x.1 release for patchs before "switching".

Some strange bug effecting a few hundred thousand computer pros or semi pros (who are adults) is one thing, can you imagine the hell of answering to a bunch of 12 year olds about why something doesnt work "just right"? they do not understand the "early adopters take the arrows" philosiphy, they dont care, they shouldnt have to, they want it to just work, which it should.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Mine is still perfect and I say in April.

Cool...so we might see updates either on the 18th or 25th April. Next Tuesday is probaly too soon?
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Honestly April 11 seems to be the best time for Apple to intro those Macbooks. Think about it. Their homepage hasn't been updated in over a month. A new product or software update is certainly WAY overdue.

I like the five weeks rule. 5 Tuesdays seems to be the longest Apple goes with the same homepage. Mighty Mouse in August was up there for exactly five weeks and in my time keeping track of Apple, that seemed to be pretty long.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The thing is ? I don't think they will spring it on us without a special event. Perhaps Tuesday we will hear about an upcoming special event.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    They have done it without a special event before tho...

I think they wouldn't do the PowerMac or significantly new iPod without a special event. PowerMac because thats the product with the most innovation, and iPod because of the huge marketshare it holds for apple.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Yeah, if it's an update...this would be a major change (name of product, enclosure of product, Intel, etc). You don't think Apple will pass on showing off that new magnetic latching system to the press?
  • Reply 17 of 54
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Another reason why they will have an event is because they help an event for the mini and iPod HiFi, so it only makes sense to introduce the new consumer line [maybe 12"/17" MBP too] with an event. Remember, the iBook is going to be the most drastically redesigned laptop from apple in a looooonnng time.

- Noah
  • Reply 18 of 54
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    There is no sure way to predict if we'll see a special event or not. Apple has done silent updates, ultra-silent updates (the never-acknowledged speed-bump of the G4 minis) and high-key events for disappointing product updates (the intel minis). They seem to decide on gut-feeling alone if a product update is interesting enough to warrant a press release, a special event or nothing at all.

However, April seems too early to me. I believe we won't see a MacBook without prior CPU upgrades/speed bumps/price reductions by intel.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    I look for a quiet release...but TV commercials about a month later when the supply channels are full.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

There are those who speculate that Maine's EDU buyers are already in on these new MacBooks with their recent purchase for the fall. Something like 32,000 "portables." I could see Apple swearing these folks to secrecy if they needed to make big sales way in advance of the retail launch.