New macbook by May ?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    Hmm..

I currently have a powerbook G4 which i'm going to sell because i have a cracked screen and don't feel it's worth it to buy a new one.

i'll need a new computer soon, and am really hoping for the new ibook to come out soon, or else i might have to just buy a regular ibook G4

also: does anyone know how much faster these new ibooks will be compared to.. powerbook G4? Ibook G4?
  • Reply 22 of 54
    well the macbook pro was 4x faster than the powerbook g4 so i would say atleast this much faster because the ibooks arent as fast as the powerbooks were.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    yeah the macbook pro is faster than powerbook g4, but how will regular macbook compare to the best g4 powerbooks?
  • Reply 24 of 54
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by djmb

yeah the macbook pro is faster than powerbook g4, but how will regular macbook compare to the best g4 powerbooks?

Well, at the worst case it'll have the same 1.5 GHz Core Solo as the Mini. Here's a few benchmarks that compare the Mini CS, Mini G4, and PB G4, among others. Check out the Cinebench and Geekbench scores in particular - even a slow Core Solo spanks the PB G4. Core-for-core, it's similar to a 2-ish GHz G5. And who knows, Apple might yet stick a Core Duo in at least some MacBook models.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSuperiority

well the macbook pro was 4x faster than the powerbook g4 so i would say atleast this much faster because the ibooks arent as fast as the powerbooks were.

The opposite is true. Since both the iBook and the Powerbook used the ageing G4, the speed difference between them was very narrow. If it hadn´t been the iBook would have been too slow to sell.

Now they are able to differentiate the two models without leaving the macbook helplessly impotent. So expect Core Solo and perhaps low end Core Duo. That won´t boost the speed 4X
  • Reply 26 of 54
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

There are those who speculate that Maine's EDU buyers are already in on these new MacBooks with their recent purchase for the fall. Something like 32,000 "portables." I could see Apple swearing these folks to secrecy if they needed to make big sales way in advance of the retail launch.

It would be VERY difficult for Apple to maintain such a secret. It is difficult enough to keep people within Apple quiet. Plus the longer they have to keep the secret the more likely the leaks would get out.

Here's hoping for Tuesday!

Corey
  • Reply 27 of 54
    I'm...slowly...losing hope.

Hurry up, Apple!
  • Reply 28 of 54
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    The MacBooks will be out soon. Don't have a cow man.

Regardless, the MacBooks probably won't be very interesting. Just a cheaper MacBook pro in "Stylish Hues" with a Magnetic Lid. Whoopdie fricken do.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

"Stylish Hues" with a Magnetic Lid.

That better not mean they are girly!

I am hoping that they are:

1. Intel Core Duos

2. Dedicated Graphics (not integrated)

3. DVI out

Thank you.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Yea. That would be pretty preveted humor of steve to make them pink with flowers and shit. AHH!
  • Reply 31 of 54
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    My guess, two models:

1) Core single, integrated graphics, comes in white or black, $1299.

2) Core duo, 256 MB graphics card, built-in wireless, DVD burner, and pink with a picture of the Disney princess of your choice (Cinderella, Snow White, or Belle from Beauty and the Beast). Also $1299.

I have no inside information though.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Mine is still perfect and I say in April.

Oh how i love little teasers like that..
  • Reply 33 of 54
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I still have trouble liking the name "MacBook". The name 'iBook" had such a nice light feeling.

• Reply 34 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

I still have trouble liking the name "MacBook". The name 'iBook" had such a nice light feeling.

I thought that was the point! MacBook doesn't sound light. It's sounds solid.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Personally I like MacBook Pro and MacBook much more than PowerBook and iBook.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Personally I like MacBook Pro and MacBook much more than PowerBook and iBook.

I concur.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    I just hope the low end model stays at $999 and goes to $899 with a student discount.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

I just hope the low end model stays at $999 and goes to $899 with a student discount.

Don't be surpised to see price increase... Apple aren't afraid to raise the entry level price, look at the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Don't be surpised to see price increase... Apple aren't afraid to raise the entry level price, look at the Mac Mini.

That's true, but I'm fairly positive Apple would try hard not to increase the price of the entry-level $999 MacBook unless margins were absolutely horrible, as that's even more of a psychological price-point than the $499 desktop. (When you consider the fact that the original $499 Mac mini didn't include Bluetooth & Wireless, which was $100 extra, it's really not a price increase at all.)

I do expect Apple to increase the price of the next-level-up MacBook to $1499, instead of $1299 though, especially if it comes with a dedicated graphics card while the entry-level comes with IG.

That said, new question: would those of you who strongly dislike IG be willing to see the price of the entry-level MacBook be bumped up to $1299 if it included a Core Duo (like rumors suggest) and dedicated graphics?
  • Reply 40 of 54
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Boot Camp has made the "Mac" moniker movement fairly obvious.

And I like it in any case.