Apple introduces Apple Remote Desktop 3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced Apple Remote Desktop 3, the third generation of its award-winning desktop management software.

Building on Mac OS X version 10.4 ?Tiger? innovations such as Spotlight, Dashboard and Automator, Apple Remote Desktop 3 is a Universal application optimized to take advantage of the power of Intel-based Macs with more than 50 new features that deliver improvements in software distribution, asset management and remote assistance.

"With Apple Remote Desktop 3, we?ve delivered powerful innovations that make it even easier and more affordable to manage Macs," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Great new features such as remote Spotlight searching and customized Automator actions take advantage of innovations in Tiger and make Apple Remote Desktop 3 a valuable tool for anyone managing more than one Mac."

The software offers a wide range of high performance desktop management features including lightning-fast Spotlight searches across multiple Tiger systems; over 30 Automator actions for easily automating repetitive system administration tasks; a Dashboard Widget that provides quick and convenient observation of remote systems; and AutoInstall for installing software automatically on mobile systems when they return online.

Other new features in Apple Remote Desktop 3 include:

System Status Indicators that let administrators quickly check the overall health of multiple systems at a glance;Power Copy files up to 11 times faster than with Apple Remote Desktop 2*;Remote Drag and Drop files and folders between local and remote computers;Remote Copy and Paste for simple transfer of text and images between local and remote computers;Persistent Task History and Task Templates to make it easy to save and replicate repetitive tasks;Curtain Mode to hide the desktop of a system while it is being controlled remotely;Application Usage and User History Reports to track software compliance and monitor the use of unauthorized applications;Smart Computer Lists for dynamically managing systems based on specified criteria; andAES 128-bit encryption for secure communications between Apple Remote Desktop 3 and clients.;

Pricing & Availability

Apple Remote Desktop 3 is available immediately through The Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $299 (US) for managing up to 10 systems and $499 (US) for managing an unlimited number of systems. Special education pricing can be found on Apple's education Website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Looks like they're using the Mail UI theme here, interesting. At least the icons look better that Mail's.

The autoinstall feature is great, I'm looking forward to it. BUT--given that I use ARD on my laptop, and my laptop goes with me, I wonder how useful this will be? I'm sure you have to leave ARD on the network and online, so it will update on connection.

Oh, and do they have upgrade pricing? I need to check.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by rtx

Looks like they're using the Mail UI theme here, interesting. At least the icons look better that Mail's.

The autoinstall feature is great, I'm looking forward to it. BUT--given that I use ARD on my laptop, and my laptop goes with me, I wonder how useful this will be? I'm sure you have to leave ARD on the network and online, so it will update on connection.

Oh, and do they have upgrade pricing? I need to check.

On apples tutorial page it shows you how to set up a Task Server, which controls the Auto Updates on a seperate computer
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Remote Desktop is so helpful in a education setting.

The new curtian mode and the ability to drag drop files across the session are things I was looking forward to.

Also the ability to use automator to say.. lock 100 computers with a message stating you are doing maintenance, and then have it do many operations you need done. Set all that up in an automator workflow and hit go and you can walk away.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I used ARD back in the day while at school. It was definitely handy for controlling the various machines at Cal's computer store.

Still now I prefer it to VNC, but I can't rationalize paying for ARD. Maybe if everyone in my family got Macs I'd consider it so I can easily do support, but those who have switched are relatively problem free.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I used ARD back in the day while at school. It was definitely handy for controlling the various machines at Cal's computer store.

Still now I prefer it to VNC, but I can't rationalize paying for ARD. Maybe if everyone in my family got Macs I'd consider it so I can easily do support, but those who have switched are relatively problem free.

True. If there was a SOHO or family version, I might buy it if it were priced a lot more reasonably, that would be a market that's five computers or fewer. I think a good way to get an industry to use more of a software product is to support the small businesses, a small number of them will eventually become large companies, and as they evolve. Usually businesses try to stick with what they have been using, just out of momentum.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

...a suggested retail price of $299 (US) for managing up to 10 systems and $499 (US) for managing an unlimited number of systems. Special education pricing can be found on Apple's education Website...

I see the "upgrade" pricing is similar to that for OS X...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This is nuts! I already paid $299 for it, and now they want $299 AGAIN?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

All your bucks...are belong to us.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

I see the "upgrade" pricing is similar to that for OS X...

The retail box OS X is more or less an upgrade anyway, you can't get a Mac without OS X.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kevinneal

On apples tutorial page it shows you how to set up a Task Server, which controls the Auto Updates on a seperate computer

That task server is great stuff. But, it looks like you have to have the ARD admin software installed on THAT computer too--double the $$$. Honestly though, if it works well, it's worth it for me... I have a bunch of iBook users that I manage.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

True. If there was a SOHO or family version, I might buy it if it were priced a lot more reasonably, that would be a market that's five computers or fewer. I think a good way to get an industry to use more of a software product is to support the small businesses, a small number of them will eventually become large companies, and as they evolve. Usually businesses try to stick with what they have been using, just out of momentum.

There target is the Fortune 500 and Fed Markets for this product, not the small business of 5 computers that can easily be managed, in person. You may not like the answer but the enterprise markets like this solution.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

A 10-user upgrade of TB2 is $315 - full price is $630.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

There target is the Fortune 500 and Fed Markets for this product, not the small business of 5 computers that can easily be managed, in person. You may not like the answer but the enterprise markets like this solution.

I do understand that. My point was that I was hoping there would be something like an "Express" version of the product, reduced cost with fewer of the most advanved features. All the machines could be managed in person, but the shop I'm in has three levels, so it's a convenience thing.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well I guess all I can tell you for now then is to use VNC.