We have a new look!

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
This is the first change for a while.

I'm happy the same grey was kept. And I like that it's seems easier to find some earlier articles.

It seems a bit more professional, but that's a matter of taste.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    It's like hard to read now... To much grey on the screen

It looks nice but the text just runs togetther now

Macnn http://macnn.com/ did the same, and now theres way to many words on screen... Please keep at it just figure out how to highlight the very top stories

• Reply 2 of 23
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I don't like the new look. Before it was more "Headline" style now it looks kinda cluttered and cheesy, like the emphasis is going to go towards ad space.

And yeah too much grey with the headlines being grey now, they look like already clicked links.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Oh yeah, there's a front page to this site! ...Kinda forgot...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Oh yeah, there's a front page to this site! ...Kinda forgot...

I had the exact problem. "Huh? We didn´t change anyhing, did we?"
  • Reply 5 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh thank god, it wasn't just me then.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I prefer this, because I'm always looking for articles, and don't always remember to switch pages.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Looks very cluttered. Not exactly easy on the eyes.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Using Safari 1.3.2 (v(312.6) on Mac OS X 10.3.9 the front page is a mess. The ad is centered across the top, below that is the "AppleInsider Product Reviews", then Hot Forum Topics, another set of ads, and then finally the Headlines with brief segments of the story, followed by the Recent Articles.

Anyone else using the same version of Safari having the page render differently?

BTW, I don't mind macnn's new look. Because of the new look at macnn I visit it much more often, and MacCentral much less, than I used to.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on the same computer the page renders correctly. Huh?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on the same computer the page renders correctly. Huh?

Apple has had, and still does have versions that don't render everything properly.

The current version, 2.0.3 (417.8 ), still has problems. There are many sites in which frames overlap one another, as do columns. If you have the type size set differently from the way it comes, there will be many problems, as either the site, or more likely Safari doesn't render it properly. Here, at Insider, Yesterday, there was a page in one thread that spread across my screen. Safari or Insider?

EDIT: I just found out that you can't use a paren after an 8 without a space

It's this = 8)
  • Reply 11 of 23
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Apple has had, and still does have versions that don't render everything properly.

The current version, 2.0.3 (417.8 ), still has problems. There are many sites in which frames overlap one another, as do columns. If you have the type size set differently from the way it comes, there will be many problems, as either the site, or more likely Safari doesn't render it properly. Here, at Insider, Yesterday, there was a page in one thread that spread across my screen. Safari or Insider?

EDIT: I just found out that you can't use a paren after an 8 without a space

It's this = 8)

It was doing the same thing to me in Shiira. Safari was rendering it correctly. The solution was to empty the cache, which seems to have fixed it for now.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Working today. Who knows why, but it is.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    By necessity, I visit Appleinsider during the day using Internet Explorer under OS9.

The new front page is a complete disaster in this environment: no images load, formatting all over the place, things stacked on top of each other... The news portion of the site is essentially unusable.

I don't know if this state of affairs indicates technical problems or a decision to not support OS9 visitors, but regardless I will have to keep up with Apple elsewhere if it isn't fixed.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

By necessity, I visit Appleinsider during the day using Internet Explorer under OS9.

The new front page is a complete disaster in this environment: no images load, formatting all over the place, things stacked on top of each other... The news portion of the site is essentially unusable.

I don't know if this state of affairs indicates technical problems or a decision to not support OS9 visitors, but regardless I will have to keep up with Apple elsewhere if it isn't fixed.

Um, it's more that IE on OS9 is several years out of date, and pathetically behind when it comes to even the most basics standards of web browsing.

I would suggest upgrading to a browser developed in the past five years... \ Opera has kept up okay on the OS9 side, as I recall.

Not meaning to be snippy, but to me that's kind of a silly complaint. IE in that era wasn't even a good standards player *then*... much less now.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Um, it's more that IE on OS9 is several years out of date, and pathetically behind when it comes to even the most basics standards of web browsing.

I would suggest upgrading to a browser developed in the past five years... \ Opera has kept up okay on the OS9 side, as I recall.

Not meaning to be snippy, but to me that's kind of a silly complaint. IE in that era wasn't even a good standards player *then*... much less now.

When I said I use Internet Explorer "by necessity" I meant just that.

However much IE on OS9 sucks, and it certainly is not a great piece of software, it is possible to visit the vast majority of sites on the internet with it and achieve tolerable results. That is no longer the case with AppleInsider. If AppleInsider wishes to publish in a form that is completely illegible to IE/OS9 users that's certainly their right, and it's my right to point out what's going on, and additionally to note the irony that a supposedly Applecentric site like this one is unable to provide the basic level of intelligibility on an OS9 computer that, say, PCmagazine.com provides.

• Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

When I said I use Internet Explorer "by necessity" I meant just that. The fact that you are unable to grasp that very simple fact is completely irrelevant to the quality, or lack thereof, in the design of AppleInsider's front page.

After careful consideration, I do believe I can speak for at least myself when I say, sincerely...

...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Toodles. Buh-bye. Be sure to write.

I understood your point just fine, but you need to understand that IE/OS9 is a dead browser for all intents and purposes, and catering to your whims is just about on the bottom of anyone's priority list. Especially if you're going to be an ass about it.

You have the problem on your end, you fix it. Period.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Maybe if these 96 errors were fixed the front page wouldn't be such a mess.

I'd also have to suggest that being a moderator you should probably show restraint even when others don't, Kickaha.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

After careful consideration, I do believe I can speak for at least myself when I say, sincerely...

...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Toodles. Buh-bye. Be sure to write.

I understood your point just fine, but you need to understand that IE/OS9 is a dead browser for all intents and purposes, and catering to your whims is just about on the bottom of anyone's priority list. Especially if you're going to be an ass about it.

Well, I was going to give him one of my famous dismissive, semi, but valid rude replies, but... He's got a point there.

I remember just enough of my HTML to recognize several of them.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Maybe if these 96 errors were fixed the front page wouldn't be such a mess.

I'd also have to suggest that being a moderator you should probably show restraint even when others don't, Kickaha.

If someone wants to be an ass, they can expect a bit of flack in return. I was reasonable in my original post, and received insults in return. As with most people, that tends to make me a little pissy... *especially* when that someone is attempting to ask for something.

If there are errors on the front page, point them out, but don't demand that we cater to a years-dead and brain-dead browser or you're going to take your ball elsewhere, that's just childish.

So let me try that again...

Thank you for bringing to our attention the fact that the new design causes issues in IE/OS9. We will look into the matter and see what we can do on our end. Unfortunately, that browser was not, even at the time it was released, extraordinarily standards compliant or robust. Because of this, we cannot guarantee that even a 100% validated page will render correctly for you. If this is the case, then you are going to have to look at other browser options, or times that you choose to visit us.

Indicate to your employer the nature of the problem concerning IE/OS9 and its lack of ability to handle much of the code being deployed recently, and suggest an alternative, such as Opera. If they are unwilling to change their position, then I'm afraid there is little we can do to assist you.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm running a two year old Mac browser and when it hit the AI front page and saw...

--Apple's "Boot Camp" beta runs Windows

--Apple to ditch iBook brand alongside notebook

--The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro

...it exploded and spewed hot HTML all over the room.