What's the top 5 things you want to see in Leopard??

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Everyone seems to want to make the Finder better! What would you change??
  • Reply 42 of 71
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    1) Lables that work by just shading the icon (as in classic) in addition to the way its set up now.

2) An network security option that lets you know whenever someone has entered your computer through a port or from someother entryway.

3) Enable QE2D extreme.

4) Put running apps in the menubar as little icons like taskmenubar use to do and include the same functionality as taskmenubar did where you can click on one of the icons to bring it to the front or doubleclicking one of the icons brings that app to the front AND hides all others at the same time. What a great app it was...

5) A different look other than aqua. As an EE, I'd prefer a technical looking interface but with all of the great looking graphics.

- Mark
  • Reply 43 of 71
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

4) Put running apps in the menubar as little icons like taskmenubar use to do and include the same functionality as taskmenubar did where you can click on one of the icons to bring it to the front or doubleclicking one of the icons brings that app to the front AND hides all others at the same time. What a great app it was...

Option-click on a Dock icon to hide the previous app. Option-command-click on a Dock icon to hide all other apps.

IOW, it's already there.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

1) Lables that work by just shading the icon (as in classic) in addition to the way its set up now.

In addition, custom label colors and the ability to scale all icons, except the folder-icons. I often set my (jpg) icons to 128 and the folder-icons then go with it and become *huge*, wich looks pretty ugly and cluttered.

Quote:

5) A different look other than aqua. As an EE, I'd prefer a technical looking interface but with all of the great looking graphics.

The Apple Pro look ! (Like the FCP suite)
  • Reply 45 of 71
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd like a "professional" theme similar to Final Cut as already mentioned, and provisions for easily designed and applied by the user.

Also, I'd like to see a really easy way of moving files between computers, like an integrated version of AllPeers. As it is, I find that moving a file between two computers is one of the most unintuitive things on any operating system, considering how easy it should be.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Option-click on a Dock icon to hide the previous app. Option-command-click on a Dock icon to hide all other apps.

IOW, it's already there.

I know. But consider this: Your way takes two hands. My way (taskmenubar) requires one hand. Its easier, better, and faster. In addition, I wouldn't need the dock taking up extra room on my screen (its a 15 inch model) as I could just glance at the menubar to see what apps are loaded and the highlighted icon is the one that I am currently working in.

I wish that guy who created taskmenubar made a version for OS X.

- Mark
  • Reply 47 of 71
    So you'd rather have your menu bar (which you can't move around, which doesn't resize, etc.) cluttered up than your Dock (which can be moved around and resizes automatically). Right. Uh-huh.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

So you'd rather have your menu bar (which you can't move around, which doesn't resize, etc.) cluttered up than your Dock (which can be moved around and resizes automatically). Right. Uh-huh.

Yes. My dock is usually not filled and which means there is space on both sides of it that is not used. This is a waste of screen space. It almost seems like a hack. I know you can hide it but then if I want to get info from the dock, I have to place the mouse in a small area to get it to pop up.

And for the taskmenubar type of option, if you have 5 or 6 apps open, (I don't know what the average number of apps open at one time is for usual Appleinsider users, I guessing this amount), it only takes up about an inch and a half of space of your menubar.

Getting back to the dock, if Apple were to give you an option to fit it all the way to the screen ends (even though for me it wouldn't be filled and I'd still be not using that wasted screen space I mentioned) AND build in the ability to double-click on an open app's dock icon to get to that app AND hide all others, I could live with this. I wish also it looked more like the dashbord dock )not as big of course) and had a section in the dock for system information displays.

By the way, if you've never tried taskmenubar, you should give it a try if you have classic. I think you'd like it, espcially the way you can just double-click on an icon to hide all others and get to that one. Way easier than using your other hand to hold down the option key.

- Mark
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Taskmenubar link...

http://pweb.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

Note: in the picture from the link above, it shows a cluttered menubar. You can control the spacing of the icons.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

Yes. My dock is usually not filled and which means there is space on both sides of it that is not used. This is a waste of screen space.

So make it smaller.

Quote:

And for the taskmenubar type of option, if you have 5 or 6 apps open, (I don't know what the average number of apps open at one time is for usual Appleinsider users, I guessing this amount), it only takes up about an inch and a half of space of your menubar.

9 right now, and that's not a lot for me. I'm also on a very low-end machine.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I wouldn't mind the ability to have the home on ipod or home on a usb drive.

This way I could have my history/bookmarks/mail prefs, etc on a drive that I could use to swap between macs.

Also, It would ad another level of personal data security.

Couple it with a password and the usb fob/drive.

Something like this, but with a larger capacity.

Apple could make a couple of bux on it.

They could even update the shuffle. It is already at 1 gig.

There is probably even room for the fingerprint reader.

http://www.storagemedia.com/product...._id=22-001-004
  • Reply 52 of 71
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I wouldn't mind the ability to have the home on ipod or home on a usb drive.

This way I could have my history/bookmarks/mail prefs, etc on a drive that I could use to swap between macs.

Also, It would ad another level of personal data security.

Couple it with a password and the usb fob/drive.

Something like this, but with a larger capacity.

Apple could make a couple of bux on it.

They could even update the shuffle. It is already at 1 gig.

There is probably even room for the fingerprint reader.

http://www.storagemedia.com/product...._id=22-001-004

You may get your wish. My bet is that Apple had the HOME ON iPOD option ready to go more than a year ago, but relented to developer pressure. I would expect Apple to include APPLICATIONS in the sync, but that requires proper licensing to prevent cutting into developer's sales figures. Enter Intel DRM on chip.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    It would certainly sell more ipods if this were the case.

WWDC is too far away!! I want some OS X candy now!!

As an aside, I had a friend actually tell me in all seriousness that OS X = win 95!

I told him that Win 2000 was OS 9!

• Reply 54 of 71
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

As an aside, I had a friend actually tell me in all seriousness that OS X = win 95!

I told him that Win 2000 was OS 9!

Wow. Did his parents raise him on an LSD diet or something ?
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Well, I can see a couple of things actually.

1. Display the path of the folder. I am not talking Explorer-like crap the Winblows has, I am talking something more like what Gnome has. This tells you where you are, and gives you a quick way to get there.

Obviously, with more of an Apple-like look to it, but you get the general idea.

2. As many have noted, it needs to be re-written in Cocoa. Especially with the Intel Macs, if it is written in Cocoa, it will be drastically faster, because Cocoa offers many enhancements for free that Carbon does not.

3. Complete FTP Support. I understand that there are many FTP vendors out there, but FTP has become a part of every major OS out there. Again, like in the Linux world, we should be able to mount a FTP volume as a remote disk, do things to it (a.k.a. browsing, etc), and be able to download from and upload to.

4. On a side note, I would like to change something with the Printer part of this. Now, OS X has some of the best printing capabilities out there. With one exception: Network Printing. I have a printer attached to my Linux Box, and my other Linux Box can print to it easily, my VirtualPC on my Mac can print to it easily, however my Mac wants to print out pure PostScript. So far, I haven't been able to get it right yet, so I am thinking this must be an issue with the way the Mac pre-formats each print job as a PDF first, then sends it to the printer. (If anyone has a workaround or just plain fix, I would be MOST HAPPY )

5. Safari has some issues with it that need to be addressed. It is a kick-ass browser in its own right, however it has some almost-blaitant issues with it. Its incomplete use of CSS (most notable with INPUT/SELECT entities), and its load times is somewhat long with certain pages. Now, recently, the WebKit team has announced that they have a working version of the WebKit that has the CSS implementation as a part of the INPUT/SELECT tags, so hopefully that will be addressed soon. WebKit Blog

6. iChat needs some "spit and polish". Animated GIFs would be welcome. Someone mentioned a Skype-like interface for calling phones. That is nice. How about an ability to have a video conference, with some people only being Audio entities. You can do this for a one-on-one (you being video, them being audio), but not for multiple. Also, maybe allow for more video conference attendees.

7. Fix Spotlight. I have no idea what happened on my machine, by my Spotlight menu item does not work at all. This needs to be addressed, and fixed such that it just can't forget what it needs to do.

That is all that I can think of, more may come later.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

I have a dream that with Leopard I will be able to use my Mac to run any Windows program straight from OS X

I have a dream that Apple itself will make that happen.

I have a dream that by doing so the world will finally be freed from that Mac wanna be, spy-ware slut, virus infected crappy OS.

I have a dream!

(BANG)

Welcome to reality.

Corey

• Reply 57 of 71
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

See this thread

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Well, I can see a couple of things actually.

1. Display the path of the folder. I am not talking Explorer-like crap the Winblows has, I am talking something more like what Gnome has. This tells you where you are, and gives you a quick way to get there.

Have you seen PathFinder 4?

The five things I'd like to see in 10.5:

1. FTFF (PathFinder 4 has some very nice features, unfortunately I'm on 10.3.9 still so can't try it out. I think it's too much to be the default Finder, but there are some features in it that the normal Finder could do with. Apple could provide a Finder preference to turn on "advanced" features, which would then make the Finder behave just like PathFinder.)

2. Interface consistency

3. Better spotlight interface, with the capabilities of MoRU.

4. Fix keyboard list item selection using "shift-arrow" combination so that it works like text selection and cell selection in Excel.

5. (much) Better keyboard navigation in general.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

2. Interface consistency

Ok, I am not on the same page as everyone here. You all honestly want ALL the apps to have the same interface?!?!?!? why?!?!?! Different themes work better for certain apps. One of the things I love about OS X is the inconsistent themes. Who wants all of their apps to look exactly the same? That's like downgrading to a windows standard. This is exactly what windows has (consistency) and their UI stinks,

Different UIs work better for different purposes!!! I can't believe that I'm the only one who would think that.

if apple made all the apps look like iTunes or mail. I would be dissapointed.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

2. As many have noted, it needs to be re-written in Cocoa. Especially with the Intel Macs, if it is written in Cocoa, it will be drastically faster, because Cocoa offers many enhancements for free that Carbon does not.

Not again.

Not again.

Come the fuck on.

• Reply 60 of 71
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Ok, I am not on the same page as everyone here. You all honestly want ALL the apps to have the same interface?!?!?!? why?!?!?! Different themes work better for certain apps. One of the things I love about OS X is the inconsistent themes. Who wants all of their apps to look exactly the same? That's like downgrading to a windows standard. This is exactly what windows has (consistency) and their UI stinks,

Different UIs work better for different purposes!!! I can't believe that I'm the only one who would think that.

if apple made all the apps look like iTunes or mail. I would be dissapointed.

That isn't really exactly what interface consistency is about.

Interface consistency is an absolutely vital component of a complex operating system (IMHO). It is so that a user only needs to understand a few basic things, and they will then be able to very quickly use any application in the OS.

e.g. The left mouse button should always perform the same sort of actions, no matter which application you are in. Ditto right mouse button and scroll wheel.

There should be a set of "interface widgets", such as buttons, scroll bars, toolbars, sliders etc., which always look the same and always behave the same.

Certain key-combinations should always do the same thing, no matter which application you are using: e.g. command-S = save, command-shift-s = save as, command-c = copy, command-v = paste etc.

With a consistent user interface, the user doesn't have that much to remember. Once they have learnt and understand the actions, UI widgets and keyboard shortcuts, they can transfer that knowledge to whichever app they are using. If they want to perform a certain action, they know the kind of UI widget they should be looking for, or what they should do with the mouse, or which keyboard combination they should use etc.

There is also an element of cleaning up the visual side of things so that things look slightly less cluttered. There is still plenty of room for making apps look different from one another whilst adhering to a certain theme.

There are a few places where OS X is not consistent, it would be nice if these were all fixed to add that finishing touch of "spit and polish".