Linking OS X with Win XP using a Crossover cable

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been having som problems with networking an iBook (G4 PPC, OS X.4.5) with a WinXP (Home Edition, SP2). Could anyone point me in the direction of a good guide? All I'm needing to do is transfer files from the PC to the Mac.

I'm also running Norton Internet Security 05 on the Windows machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    #1) Enable Windows sharing on Mac OS X. (System preferences->Sharing)

#2) Manually assign yourself a IP address and subnet mask. (System preferences->Network->Ethernet->TCP/IP) For example: 192.168.123.10/255.255.255.0

#3) Manually assign a IP address for Windows like 192.168.123.20/255.255.255.0

#4) Use windows to connect to your Mac. (Hopefully this will work through your Norton security programs)

#5) Drag files to Mac hard drive

#6) Take baseball bat and smash PC to pieces or install Linux.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    A crossover cable will work, but isn't necessary... for several years now, Mac ethernet drivers have been able to auto-sense the port configurations and create a "crossover" connection when it's needed even with a normal cable.

If Norton's giving you trouble, then dissable it. (Unplug your internet connection if you're afraid of unprotected internet connections.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

A crossover cable will work, but isn't necessary... for several years now, Mac ethernet drivers have been able to auto-sense the port configurations and create a "crossover" connection when it's needed even with a normal cable.

If Norton's giving you trouble, then dissable it. (Unplug your internet connection if you're afraid of unprotected internet connections.)

It's just better to get a router and blug both machines into it. The above may work but i wound not risk buring out an ethernet card or worse.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I had a lot of problems on the PC side when trying to transfer files back and forth between a PC and Mac. Now I do it the easy way. Email it to myself if it is only a couple of meg or use a usb keychain. I have a 512M and a 1GB and they are the simpliest way of moving the files.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

#6) Take baseball bat and smash PC to pieces or install Linux.

Cheers. The PC is being relagated to gaming machine status as soon as my MBP arrives. Hopefully tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally posted by reg

I had a lot of problems on the PC side when trying to transfer files back and forth between a PC and Mac. Now I do it the easy way. Email it to myself if it is only a couple of meg or use a usb keychain. I have a 512M and a 1GB and they are the simpliest way of moving the files.

reg

I would, but the main reason for this is transferring my iTunes libary (30gig), so unless I get a removable hard disc or an iPod, then it's not really practical.