My plan to get a MacBook.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, so I have a MacBook Pro and I don't like it too much. It gets extremely hot, I have the processor whine, the display buzz, the fans are always on, I have a light band across the bottom of the screen and the RAM cover came dented (which they can't know about, or I'd probably lose my one-year warranty).

It's a stock 1.83 MacBook Pro.

I figure I can sell it for at least $1700 US on eBay in August or September, if I'm honest about all its issues (which I will be.)

The MacBook is looking really nice, with the 13.3" widescreen display, the new rumor about new color cases, iSight, Front Row with Apple Remote, MagSafe, the new magnetic display latch thingamabob and it will probably have a better battery life. Hopefully, it won't have a display/processor buzz and it won't be nearly as hot.

These things would make the perfect machine for me. I don't really need 1.83 GHz; a dual-core 1.66 GHz would be the sweet spot for me. The only thing that I don't like is a 13.3" display; I'm happy with 15", but I guess I'll have to get used to it. I can also use an external display, like my TV (which is right near where I put my laptop).

Anyway, my plan is to wait a month or so after the MacBook is announced. I'll see if anybody has any major problems and so Apple has a nice (under 24 hours) supply of them. If there aren't many problems, I'll sell this MBP on eBay and use the money to buy a MacBook (along with some extra Apple goodies, such as a fullscreen iPod and maybe some nice apps). I have a few questions, though:

a) Is it legal to sell a discounted laptop on eBay? I bought my MBP with an educational discount ($2000 US to $1800). I want to sell it, but is this legal?

b) Have any of you ever sold a computer on eBay? How much was shipping? I figure I'd just put it back in the original packaging+box, and then in a bigger box surrounded with packing peanuts.

c) Is there another way to sell my MBP? I get nervous at the thought of putting something expensive on eBay, under the circumstances where I'm scammed out of my money or it arrives damaged and the guy wants his money back or it doesn't get a good price at all.

d) Is this a good idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    a1) Yes a2) Yes b1) No b2) USPS, UPS and the others have shipping cost tools on their home pages c) Yes, a lot. Ads in papers, some forums have special buy and sell sections (we don´t), etc. But eBay normally secures the best price. d) I would have no problems but its all up to yourself.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Actually, there are limits regarding your educational purchase. For one you're only allowed to purchase one discounted system per year and I don't believe you're officially allowed to resell it for that same on year period.

Although I might be wrong on the resell point as I haven't been keeping current with EDU sales regulations. I think the developer program has a resell rule because they don't want developers making profits by taking advantage of the developer program.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Thanks for the replies!

It's one laptop purchase per academic year, so technically September is a new academic year and they can't do anything about it.

I looked around the education store but couldn't find anything. If anybody else knows more about this, I'd like to know!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

Thanks for the replies!

It's one laptop purchase per academic year, so technically September is a new academic year and they can't do anything about it.

I looked around the education store but couldn't find anything. If anybody else knows more about this, I'd like to know!

I have sold several computers on eBay. If you follow some common-sense rules you should be OK:

- Use the original box, no need for a second box. Just slap a UPS or FedEx label on it, which you can print from their respective websites, and call for a pickup ($2-$4). Makes it painless.

- Do not under ANY circumstances sell the item OUTSIDE of eBay. By that I mean if someone messages you and offers a high price, ignore them. First of all, they are scammers; second of all, you lose the protection of eBay if you do that.

- Use PayPal. Under NO circumstances accept any checks of any kind. The 419 scammers have fake Cashier's Checks that your bank will tell you are good and then 2 weeks later you find out they are not good.

- Do not ship the item until you get the full PayPal payment.

- Do not ship outside the US.

- Pay FedEx or UPS the few bucks for the insurance. It's quicker than hassling with eBay.

- When you ship, specify "Adult Signature Required" so that you have absolute proof of delivery.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Okay, so I have a MacBook Pro and I don't like it too much. It gets extremely hot, I have the processor whine, the display buzz, the fans are always on, I have a light band across the bottom of the screen and the RAM cover came dented (which they can't know about, or I'd probably lose my one-year warranty).

Isn't Apple exchanging these for newer models?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

the RAM cover came dented (which they can't know about, or I'd probably lose my one-year warranty).

RAM is user-installable on the MBP, so the fact that you discovered the dented cover while installing RAM doesn't in any way void your warranty. Apple might even fix it for you.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

RAM is user-installable on the MBP, so the fact that you discovered the dented cover while installing RAM doesn't in any way void your warranty. Apple might even fix it for you.

Or just tell them it came like that, Apple's too big to care.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Thanks for the responses!

Well, actually I never installed RAM in it but same thing. I just noticed the dent one day when looking at it.

If I give them a complete list of the problems, they'll try to fix as many as possible, right?

I'm not sure if I should call or go to my local Apple store. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

ThinkingDifferent - They're not replacing the already-shipped MBP's, but it seems now they're more open to fixing MBP's with problems. People who asked about their MBP's back in February/March have been saying they're "within specifications," but now people are saying that they're fixing them. Apple is simply just shipping new, less-buzzing, slightly cooler MBP's.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    If I had a new laptop that was buzzing and toasting I would be asking for a replacement.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Man just return the sumbitch and if you still want to sell it you can sell it for full price on ebay.

Quote:

However, Apple told the publication that the MacBook Pro should never become this hot. A representative said "that should not happen. If it is, bring back your MacBook Pro and we'll give you an updated version."

If its getting as hot as you say it is then apple has said they will replace it for one of the new models.

• Reply 11 of 21
    Yep, they said it shouldn't wine or get that hot. Several reps told me that have "Switched to a new logic board that works right at the same speed". Mine was just replaced and at the return pending stage online. I will let you know when I get mine back if my five problems (include the heat and whine) were fixed .
  • Reply 12 of 21
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Yeah your first step right now is to get your MacBook Pro replaced by Apple. RIGHT NOW. No one is going to want to buy a buzzing, toasted, dented MacBook Pro from you. Get it replaced as soon as possible, and you might end up deciding to keep the new one. And if not, you'll have a much easier time selling it, and get more money for it too.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

- Do not ship outside the US.

All your suggestions made sense except this one. Can you explain? Why, for example, should he not sell to Canada if all other precautions are taken?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    PayPal doesn't cover trans-country transactions. So if a Canadian screws you successfully, you're out a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I'd just get it fixed and keep it.

It's going to be much faster than the macbook.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    This is why I avoid first generation products.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I would contact Apple and ask them for a replacement. They will most likely give it to you.

If not, eBay is a very safe way to sell, if you follow the common sense rules.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

All your suggestions made sense except this one. Can you explain? Why, for example, should he not sell to Canada if all other precautions are taken?

What theAppleGenius said.

Any legal action you might need to take gets more complicated by an order of magnitude if the transaction is international, that's all. You can almost always get a buyer in the same country as yourself, so it makes sense to me to keep it simple.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    But I still don't know why every body is getting os paranoid about SELLING. It's BUYING that one should worry about. If you wait for PayPal payment before shipping the laptop then you are AOK. As far as shipping, if you offer shipping service optional, it is the buyers fault for not choosing it if the item gets lost in the mail. If you make it required your just MAKING the buyer pay to protect the shipping.

So with that said, buying on eBay is relativly safe. It's simple. Once you get payment from PayPal, that payment is good to you.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

PayPal doesn't cover trans-country transactions. So if a Canadian screws you successfully, you're out a MacBook Pro.

This isn't true. PayPal covers US/CDN transactions.